Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2015, 05:13 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First outing with my K-S2

Well my first outing with my new K-S2 didn't go so well, not the camera's fault. I have been learning the difference in the layout from the K-5 II, one habit to change was location of the Af/AE-L button. I use back button focus and if I don't look I keep pushing the "review" button instead. Here in Washington on the east side of the mountains they are having the worst fires in our state's history. Even on the west side there is a smoky haze in the air. But it does make for great sunsets. Tonight I had a free evening so I went to take some sunset shots down at Dash Point beach. I've wanted to shoot the sunset from the east side of a fishing dock with the sun setting underneath the dock. This requires low level shooting with a tripod. The sun looked great, I had checked the "The Photographer's Ephemeris" and knew just where the sun would be, the tide tables gave me a low tide and I was ready to go.
It normally takes about 45 minutes to get to Dash Point but heavy traffic caused it to take an hour. No problem, I got there with fifteen minutes to spare. Sun looking good. Grabbed my equipment and got down to the beach location. In that short of time clouds suddenly came up to about two or three degrees above the horizon and heavier smoke/smog descended and the sun was gone.
So I thought I would take some low light photos, when to mount the camera on the tripod and discovered I had forgotten to move the tripod mounting plate from the K-5 to the K-S2, tripod was useless. I went ahead and took some hand held photos, then stored everything back into the sidecar rig and started for home.
It was totally dark when heading home and came across a large cargo ship being unloaded, and up the waterway was a private dock that I could walk about 20 feet out, with a railing which had a flat top, just the place to position a camera. So I took some night shots from the railing. It wasn't too steady, but if I timed it right I got some pretty pictures. Lens used was the DA 20-40mm.

Just a quick living room shot.

Two from Dash Point

Two cargo ship under the lights

08-25-2015, 05:29 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do like the images I am seeing from the K-S1 and KS-2. The night shot at the docks is very nice. Does anybody use the walking wheel in the background? I see the drive band is on it. Testament to how good the resolution is of these cameras. My wife spins and weaves. Even wrote a book on tape weaving some years ago. Looms and spinning wheels take up a lot of room around the house.
08-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I do like the images I am seeing from the K-S1 and KS-2. The night shot at the docks is very nice. Does anybody use the walking wheel in the background? I see the drive band is on it. Testament to how good the resolution is of these cameras. My wife spins and weaves. Even wrote a book on tape weaving some years ago. Looms and spinning wheels take up a lot of room around the house.
We'er a little off topic, but I thought I tell you the history of the walking wheel. It originally belonged to my wife's great-great grandfather. Not sure how old it is. It had been stored in the rafters of a out building from before my wife was born. About seven years ago her parents were moving and were going to throw it away, as they had so much stuff collected over the years of living in one place. We heard about it and made the trip to Montana to save it from the dump. We had to take it apart to get it all into the car, except for the wheel which was on the roof. Luckily there was no rain. The base board still had the original layout markings on the bottom. My wife doesn't weave, but we just couldn't see it wasted.

Here is one other photo I took, using it as a Silhouette. I should take some more photos of it.
08-25-2015, 05:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

We have that same spinning wheel in our basement bed room.

What a co-ink-kee-dink

08-26-2015, 02:09 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Awesome story about the wheel It should stay in the family. It is a treasure from a bygone era.

These are called "walking wheels" for a reason. A person could easily walk a several miles a day while spinning wool. Other names for them are wool wheel or great wheel. A lot of them have the name of the maker marked on them somewhere. Keep a wine bottle cork over the end of the spindle. They can be very sharp.
08-26-2015, 02:15 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Awesome story about the wheel It should stay in the family. It is a treasure from a bygone era.

These are called "walking wheels" for a reason. A person could easily walk a several miles a day while spinning wool. Other names for them are wool wheel or great wheel.
I'd never heard of them being called anything except spinning wheel, which appears to be the generic term if Wikipedia is anything to go by.
08-26-2015, 04:48 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
normhead, your wheel looks almost identical to ours. I like the background behind it, really sets it off.

08-26-2015, 05:01 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
normhead, your wheel looks almost identical to ours. I like the background behind it, really sets it off.
Its a studio backdrop we got on sale a photography trade show because they were selling them for cheaper than we could buy fabric for, and they came pre-decorated.
We should have bought more of them.