Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-26-2015, 10:03 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm in.

I've been considering a K-S2 for a while to be a smaller alternative to my K-3 when I want to travel light. I use my K-5 for that now but it seems like this body will be smaller and lighter and it will also be nice to have the tilting screen and an additional 4MP. There was a post today about a eBay deal, body only, at $400 for one that has had the kit lens removed. I had the money in my PayPal account so I jumped on it! I figure I can sell my K-5 if I decide it's a good replacement for it.
So hello, I'm excited to get my new camera!

08-26-2015, 12:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Congrats, I'm sure you'll really like it, I sure do like mine.
It will tag along on our next visit to CO when visiting son and family.
I think I've posted this already, but here's mine with the 40 ltd.

08-26-2015, 12:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks! I'm thinking a travel setup with the 15/40/70 Limiteds will be nice. Maybe throw in the 18-135 to have a WR alternative.
It's supposed to come the day I leave for a trip. I hope it comes before I go!
08-26-2015, 12:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I recently picked up the 18-135, my only WR lens, and it's spent most of it's time on the K-S2.
Need to shed my K-5 or K-01, or both, since they're not getting used at all.
The MX-1 does get used a fair amount, couldn't part with that one.

Good luck on a timely arrival!

08-26-2015, 01:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That looks so beautiful, I just spent a half hour walking through the woods bending over trying to work in live view, but having so much trouble seeing the screen because of the angle. That looks like heaven.
08-27-2015, 05:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That looks so beautiful, I just spent a half hour walking through the woods bending over trying to work in live view, but having so much trouble seeing the screen because of the angle. That looks like heaven.
Try it, you'll like it!

09-08-2015, 08:33 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've taken mine out a couple of times now. The flip screen is nice although I haven't had too many shots that required it. I imagine it will be one of those things that you may not use much but when you need it it's just the thing.
Yesterday my wife and I hiked to a nearby peak and I brought the K-S2 and DA 18-135 along. I tend to hit the Live View button instead of the replay button pretty often since the K-3 has it's replay button in that spot but otherwise it seemed to do well. It was a little rainy, very rainy when we set out. I mostly carried the camera on my Black Rapid strap to keep it handy so having WR was nice for that exposure to elements.
It's not as small as I was hoping. A little smaller than the K-5 but not by much. It is a bit lighter too. Controls seem nice and responsive. If it weren't for the flip screen I might not keep it but with that new feature, a few more MPs, and being lighter have convinced me to keep it. Worth the price.

A few photos from our day.

A handheld pano of the West Elk mountains and The Castles formation in some rain.

Had to try the selfie mode. The button reassignment is nice if you are into this sort of thing. Not sure I'll use it all that much.
That is Mt. Crested Butte in the distance behind us.

Last edited by mattb123; 09-08-2015 at 08:50 AM.
09-08-2015, 03:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is the thing. It isn't that much lighter than a K5 or K3.

The much maligned K-S1 is a full 250 grams lighter than the K3 which is noticeable. This is why the K-S1 is tempting to me as well as the faster processor compared to the old K5's and having an OVF (compared to the K-01).

Howie Be