Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2015, 07:30 AM   #1

New kit lens shock tests (SMC 18-50 WR)

New kit lens shock tests: Durable with one minor issue for SMC 18-50 WR

I put my new lens to shock tests, both accidental. Conclusions: The lens fared well, though it did get stuck (and was easily unstuck). Details: Test 1). I knocked the lens off a 5+ foot bench while grabbing my Ks2 (with telephoto attached) to capture a sunset. The lens fell off the bench, bounced off a wood cabinet ~ 1 foot below, flew a bit up and then down, onto my ceramic tile floor, bouncing again onto the carpet. The sound off the tile was a bounce (not crash). When I looked at the lens, only a small plastic ring had separated. I shot the sunset with the telephoto, and returned to assess the lens condition. There were no further signs of damage, and the ring was easy to fit back on. The lens was seeming durable. But it did get stuck in test 2). Flying on the plane from my swamp home in Tampa to Colorado, I was moving my Ks2 within the tiny cramped space between my legs, and dropped it, lens first, several inches to the floor. It didn’t sound bad, but to my chagrin the lens was stuck and wouldn’t move (zoom or focus). After fussing unsuccessfully, I put it aside and later a more intelligent thought came: Try undoing the jam by pulling the lens out. It worked, and my vacation was back on! Sample pictures are attached. In sum, the Ks2 and its lens take some knocks, and seem to be quite durable. It has worked well in my wet-ish swamp adventures (aside from lens fog). The pair may be a real “take everywhere” tool. I’ve traded my padded camera case for a lighter unpadded pouch for easy day to day use.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo