Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2015, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
New KS-1 -- I'm liking it

Just picked up a nice deal on a new KS-1 + Flu card + 18-55mm -- for $329 shipped. Have been wanting a second camera to use for land/city scape, while I use my K-3 for everything else (want to carry two cameras on hikes, instead of swap lenses all the time). I like new gear, and while I was completely happy with my old K-50 (sold it to get the K-3), I thought it would be fun to try the new 20MP sensor + the KS-1 is really small, and I figured smaller is better when lugging two cameras. Took it to work yesterday and put a hundred shots through it. Definitely small, and a little weird to hold for my mitts, but not horrible, and I actually have no issue with the controls (unlike a lot of reviews). Buttons are small and flush, so a little tougher to push, and the wheel buttons are small too, but nothing I can't deal with. My plan is to mate my HD DA 21mm Limited to it, and pretty much call it a day. I just shot JPEGS yesterday, and was pretty happy with the results. From time to time, I'll take a single lens out for a walk, and kind of "make" myself use it, even if the setting isn't the best, just to see what I can do with it. The 21 produces some pretty nice colors on the default Bright setting, and was versatile enough to even snag a couple flower shots.

Feeling like a winner to me

(have been trying to post pictures since last night...but keep getting some security token violation...so hopefully post those later..)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-N910T  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 

Last edited by esrandall; 09-10-2015 at 04:10 PM. Reason: one at a time on the pictures...
09-10-2015, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots! The K-S1 and the DA 21 are very capable, compact team.
09-10-2015, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Many of us see it as the heir to the 'quirky' K-01 as nothing else is quite like it. Yes I screw up settings now and then, but I did that with every Pentax model
Definitely a good team with the 21; I have a K24 so that's my choice between DA15 and DFA50 - unless I wimp out and go with a zoom. Nothing against zooms really, but the K-s1 is a great body for small primes!
09-10-2015, 09:37 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A wonderful combination. I wasn't entirely sure about the 21 before I bought it, but I was finding that I wasn't focusing all that well with the K24. Now that I have it, I'm finding it more and more on my K-S1. I'm still happily using the S1 as my primary camera, though I haven't had much time to take many pictures in a while. I'm hoping that will change next week.

09-10-2015, 09:51 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
I haven't had much time to take many pictures in a while. I'm hoping that will change next week.
I hope so! I was starting to get concerned.
09-21-2015, 08:52 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Closed Account

Original Poster
Here are a few more with just the kit 18-55mm. Not bad for the kit lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
09-22-2015, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 18-55 doesn't get a lot of love, but with decent light, it can deliver - and the 20 megapickle sensor squeezes it for all its worth. I was impressed with what mine could do on a sunny day.

09-22-2015, 11:55 AM   #8
Closed Account

Original Poster
Agreed. We loaded our Sunday with a day all over Seattle, and anything outside turned out good enough with the 18-55. I'm usually reasonably happy with what it can do with buildings and architecture, less with people.