Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2015, 09:44 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
just discovered my white K-s1..

isn't quite white!
I was taking a group photo and tossed in my StormPanda DAL 18-55. Its grip is black which doesn't go well with the K-s1's grey trim - but the lens is much whiter than the creamy white of the camera body. It's not a big deal to me since I've replaced the kit lens with a Sigma 18-50; still, it caught me by surprise.

Has anyone else noticed this? I presume the K-s2 with black trim is still the 'original' pure white but now I just don't know anything..

09-12-2015, 03:51 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a Stormtrooper K-m (the original 'Stormtrooper'), a Pandatrooper K-01, a Smurf K-01, and a white DA 35/2.4 (should match the white K-r), and they are all slightly different shades of white. The DA 35 is the whitest or bluest or coolest, however you want to put it, and the K-m is the warmest. I gave in to temptation and bid on a cheap 'Creme Soda' K-S1 (to celebrate the first Anniversary - yeah, that's why), so I expect it to be yet another shade.

When I've pointed out that "silver" bodies and "silver" DA Ltds are not the same color or the "black" parts on a Classic or Bumblebee K-01 are different from the "Black" on a Pandatrooper (making just painting the darned flash housing a cheaper and easier way to get an all-black camera), I've been told that it doesn't matter - it's all the same. Which seems like a strange thing to hear from a group who generally obsess about colors and white balance...
09-12-2015, 06:00 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Since I have no fashion sense at all, it wouldn't matter to me. I've often thought about buying a white K-S2 with the new kit lens because I like the idea of the collapsible lens. But I really don't need another camera, I don't think I'd use the kit lens all that much since I have most of the Limited lenses so I haven't done it and since I haven't seen a K-S2 I don't know if they are the same white or not.
09-12-2015, 07:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Indeed if one is obsessed with color matching then black is the only way to go . I'd love to get a white da35 some day, and pretend it matches! My white wrist strap is very bluish, not a match that I care for.

09-17-2015, 12:17 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Has anyone else noticed this? I presume the K-s2 with black trim is still the 'original' pure white but now I just don't know anything.
I have not seen a K-S2 in person but have a feeling it will be the same white as the K-S1. I did see a white K-50 at target (before they cleared them out), and it looked to have the same white mat finish as the K-S1. The older bodies appear to have a sprayed on finish, which is much more glossy. I'm not a plastic manufacturing expert but I suspect the mat finish may be direct from the molding process and may be cheaper to produce.
09-19-2015, 09:17 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think anything is the 'same white' - even the Pandatrooper K-01 and Smurf K-01 (manufactured 18 months apart) are slightly, slightly different shades. There does seem to be a history of the lenses not matching the bodies - the K-m/2000's 18-55 is a little cooler than the body. Maybe "white" is whiter in Vietnam...

(But it has put me off painting some generic caps and hoods "white" to match my lenses...)

Left-to-right: Stormtrooper, Pandatrooper, Smurf, Smurfette