Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2015, 09:28 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

My prescription is -5.xx in each eye. They're slightly different. I have to wear contacts or glasses. I've never adjusted the diopter because it doesn't have a big enough range to compensate my vision.

11-16-2015, 10:29 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I don't think the red lights in the viewfinder are useful for accurate manual focusing judgment . As said earlier, only the centre point works anyway. The key camera indicator that the AF sensors think something's in focus is the green hexagon focus confirmation along the bottom of the viewfinder.
The red lights are focus confirmation. The instruction manual will tell you that it can be used for manual focussing, as long as you're trying to focus on the same thing that the camera thinks you're trying to focus on. Be aware of how large your subject is in comparison to the area sampled by the autofocus' central focus square. If your subject is significantly smaller than that square, the camera may show focus confirmation for some other object in the square. The green hexagon is exposure (not focus) confirmation.

---------- Post added 16th Nov 2015 at 14:17 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LarfinGiraffe Quote
I've had my first DSLR [ a K-S2] for a few months now, and as my last serious camera was a Super-A I've had a lot to learn, and I've been tackling it slowly attempting to learn one thing at a time. I'm now at the point where I want to use my old manual Pentax prime f50 1.4 lens from the Super-A instead of the standard lens that came with the K-S2. Obviously auto-focus is not going to work with the old lens. I'm having a bit of trouble with the focusing, with several shots apparently focused in not quite the right place, especially using f2 and faster. I've read that manual focus with DSLR screens can be a bit tricky, but I'm wondering if my -2 short sight is adding to the problem. I usually peer into the viewfinder with my specs on but not always. I can see all the indicators in the viewfinder nice and sharply either way.

So the question is - is it possible that when I focus with my specs off I am using the camera to compensate for my poor distance eyesight, so when the subject looks in focus to me, it's not in focus to the camera sensor?
There is a remote possibility that the focussing screen has been knocked out alignment, so that your subject will appear in focus in the viewfinder but is out of focus on the C-MOS.

If everything is aligned as it should be, the diopter adjustment doesn't make a lot of difference. The subject will always be sharpest in the viewfinder when the lens is focussed properly, although that may be hard to judge if the diopter adjustment is extremely off.

Manual focussing was so much easier with the micro-prism or split-image focussing aids that film cameras. Some people replace their focussing screen with one custom-cut from a Canon or Nikon focussing screen (e.g., focusingscreen.com). My hands aren't steady enough to switch out the screen and its shims.

Other people advocate adding a magnifying eyepiece to the viewfinder, e.g., the Pentax O-ME53 (slip the eyecup off and slip the magnifying eyepiece on). Other threads on PentaxForums have discussed this. I haven't tried one yet but will be soon because of the challenge of focussing a manual focus super-telephoto with its attendant shallow depth-of-field (a used A* 600mm f5.6).

Last edited by pete-tarmigan; 11-16-2015 at 10:50 AM. Reason: error
11-16-2015, 12:01 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
The red lights are focus confirmation. ... The green hexagon is exposure (not focus) confirmation.
The Pentax manuals do not agree with you. The red squares indicate which focus point is being used (K-S2 manual, page 16). The green hexagon, called the "Focus indicator", will appear when focus is confirmed (pages 16 & 40).
11-16-2015, 02:37 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
The Pentax manuals do not agree with you. The red squares indicate which focus point is being used (K-S2 manual, page 16). The green hexagon, called the "Focus indicator", will appear when focus is confirmed (pages 16 & 40).
My mistake. It's been a long time since I read that part of the manual for my first Pentax dSLR (ist* DL).