Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2015, 04:01 PM   #1

k5 iiS vs k S2

If you could get either at the current price of the K S2 (~$450), which would you choose?

Last edited by cla337; 10-09-2015 at 04:08 PM.
10-09-2015, 04:45 PM   #2
mee
Site Supporter

The K-5 IIs

Top LCD panel, 14 bit raw, faster burst mode, quicker min shutter speed, better (on paper) battery life, more solid body, optional battery grip...
10-09-2015, 04:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It depends on what is important to you. For me I have the K-5 II, but the thing that sold me on the K-S2 was the fold out LCD screen and being able to use a cell phone for remote control if needed. I am not into sports photography so burst speed and the other items were not on my list. The battery on the K-S2 does not last as long as the K-5 series, but I have only had to switch to my second battery once. At the price difference if sports was important then the K-3 might be the way to go.

I have not used my K-5 II since getting the K-S2 and thinking about selling it. My wife thought she might like to use it, but since seeing my K-S2 she might just get her own.
10-09-2015, 04:56 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

They are two very different beasts. I do take advantage of the K-S2's wi-fi, tilting screen, and live view AF quite a bit, so I'd go for it if that's what you need. In other areas the K-5 still holds its ground and it has better ergonomics and battery life.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-10-2015, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

There is no wireless triggering of accessory flashes from the K-S2 built-in flash, if that's a consideration. I find it strange, because Pentax have added the 2 stage manual flash power option to the KS2, (taken from the K3), arguably a ' sophisticated user' type of function .... So if you have one ' sophisticated' flash feature why not the other?
10-13-2015, 10:19 AM   #6

Original Poster
I'm still figuring out how much more beneficial 14 bits is over 12 bits. More is always better, but how much more. Does anyone miss having the 2 bits.?
10-13-2015, 11:39 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cla337 Quote
I'm still figuring out how much more beneficial 14 bits is over 12 bits. More is always better, but how much more. Does anyone miss having the 2 bits.?
I was concerned about this also and after doing some research came to the conclusion that I would not be able to tell the difference. From what I read, the main difference is if the exposure is not right with 14 bit you might be able to recover more detail from the dark area of a photo. My main thing is landscape so it is easy to bracket the exposure if needed. So far using the K-S2 I have noticed any exposure problems.
10-21-2015, 03:50 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Personally I would take the more compact K-s2 with its newer feature set. The "trouble" is the K-3 price is also drifting into that equation!

11-11-2015, 05:37 PM   #9

Original Poster
beating an injured but not yet dead horse...anybody attest to IQ and Dynamic Range between K5ii/s and KS2? My issue is that my K30 is having the aperature motor failure (not opened during shutter) and it's too expensive to fix. So, looking at upgrades without having to spend too much. I have a set of primes that I'd like to use.
11-15-2015, 12:08 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by cla337 Quote
beating an injured but not yet dead horse...anybody attest to IQ and Dynamic Range between K5ii/s and KS2? My issue is that my K30 is having the aperature motor failure (not opened during shutter) and it's too expensive to fix. So, looking at upgrades without having to spend too much. I have a set of primes that I'd like to use.
Horses for courses.

The KS-2 is the natural upgrade for the K30 with its similar user interface (menu system etc.). With the S-2, amongst other features, you get the anti- aliasing option to switch on or off as the subject matter demands. A weakness, if you can call it such, is that the grip is slightly smaller than the K30. Some can live with that, some cannot. Best to hold with your usual most used lens along with anything heavier you may have.

The K5ii/iis is a different and much heavier beast. They are much more professional camera and built like tanks. They have fewer features but are excellent in low light photography. You have to make the choice as whether or not you need an anti-aliasing filter based on your normal subject matter and your photo editing knowledge and skills in reducing moire. The K5iis seems to be more popular among forum members but that does not necessarily mean that it is best for you.Have a read at this before you make your final choice.

K-5 IIs -- The Pros and Cons of Omitting an AA-Filter - PentaxForums.com ---->
K-5 IIs -- The Pros and Cons of Omitting an AA-Filter - PentaxForums.com