Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2015, 01:35 PM   #1

Who has a Pentax K-S2 withlens SMC 18 - 50 mm WR RE

Are there users on this forum who have a Pentax K-S2 with lens SMC 18 - 50 mm WR RE ?

I am interested about your experiences .

What do you like of this combo?
What you don't like ?

11-24-2015, 05:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
have it. Camera is great. Lens is small and wr. I can't say anything else good about it. I carry it when it rains. OK quality but my 40xs is much nicer and small for the same price. I would rather zoom with my feet than use the 18-50. I can see myself using it on hikes for lightweight. It's cheap and can get you started but you will want to move to better quality or you might as well get a good point and shoot.
11-25-2015, 03:54 AM   #3

Interesting question. I too have this combo and are more than happy.
Can anybody please shoot a few samples with the 18-50 side-by-side with any other (better) lens and point me to the difference?
So often I hear people complain about the poor quality of kit-lenses, but when asked for the noticeable differences in image-quality there seldom is a satisfying answer. So it might be interesting to have comparable images of the same camera with different lens-qualities to actually see the difference in the images.
11-25-2015, 08:44 AM   #4

I have this combination and I'm satisfied. I use this lens particularly in cycling tours. It is a good lens that fits in small bags. There are small drawbacks. if using dedicated lens hood the original cap no longer fits. If using a polarizing filter, the dedicated lens hood can not be mounted correctly.

11-25-2015, 10:40 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
I have this combination and I'm satisfied. I use this lens particularly in cycling tours. It is a good lens that fits in small bags. There are small drawbacks. if using dedicated lens hood the original cap no longer fits. If using a polarizing filter, the dedicated lens hood can not be mounted correctly.
I have some little problems with the 18 - 50 DA lens. First in the kit version I bought there is no hood included. It is a choice of Ricoh in this set not to supply it.
Second:
My main complain is that the blocking mechanism does not work fine. Sometimes it got stucked a bit. Also when on the 50 mm position the whole inner tube moves a bit when a turn the zoom towards the 18 mm. I see in my viewer that the tube sort of repositions. When i turn it further, it is all oke again. Strange behaviour. Only my lens ? Or is it more structural according to the design of the retractable lens construction ?

What are other users experiencing on this point ?
12-29-2015, 08:50 PM   #6

retractable lens

My 18-50 re lens sometimes seems to stick. I have found out that to retract the lens point it up. To open it I point it down. I guess gravity helps!!!. As far as the lens hood is concerned I purchased a 58 mm rubber collapsible at my local photo store. Works great and its inexpensive!
12-31-2015, 03:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got the kit from COSTCO before Thanksgiving w/both the 18-50 and 50-200. Do not care for the 18-50 as it's too fiddly to deal with, especially when trying to open it. Have to use a fingernail to press the button and wiggle it a bit. Prefer my lenses as a solid mass. Bought myself an 18-135 for Christmas and really like it. Optically, the 18-50 is fine; just don't care for its ergonomics.

My last collapsible lens was a 3.5 Leica Elmar on a Leica IIIf. You just pulled it out and twisted it to lock. Worked great, but sold it for some stupid reason.
01-01-2016, 04:17 PM   #8
Forum Member

I also like my kit lens. But I was given another 18-55 AL WR. Honestly I can't tell the difference.

01-01-2016, 04:36 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought the kit, but sold the lens along with my K-01 (for a steal), as I just didn't need it and the handling was a bit clunky.

I really enjoy the K-S2 though.
01-01-2016, 06:04 PM   #10

I'm happy with the 18-50. Yes it can be a bit fiddly to open, but that's all.

The photographic quality seems fine to me, obviously it won't be up there with a prime lens, but as a pretty good all rounder it's fine.
01-11-2016, 10:28 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by whyhaveone Quote
I'm happy with the 18-50. Yes it can be a bit fiddly to open, but that's all.

The photographic quality seems fine to me, obviously it won't be up there with a prime lens, but as a pretty good all rounder it's fine.
it's a little worse for sharpness and contrast at the wide end than the nikon retractable 18-55, which is itself worse than the normal non retracting 18-55 from other manufacturers like canon.
10-14-2016, 08:23 AM   #12
Forum Member

I know this is old but I just wanted to add that I find the lens awkward to use (after almost a year of daily use), and with a filter and hood on the front it tends to vignette at the top corners where it normally wouldn't simply because the weight of the filter and hood pull down the floppy (relative to better lenses) front section. I have to change my grip to lift the front section a little to prevent vignetting, but not so much that it vignettes on the bottom.

Mind you this is the kit supplied by my employer, and I tacked on my own 58-72mm step-up ring, slim 72mm polarizer, and a cheap retractable rubber lens hood. That's really not much weight. And it makes it look like a serious lens... I'm going to upgrade to a proper 58mm polarizer and standard petal hood, but the fact that this can be aligned without vignetting tells me that this combo works, optically, but that small amount of weight is plenty to throw it off. It almost feels like freelensing when I compensate for it. If I were in charge of the world I would have a 16-85 for my work (all f/5.6 or slower), but there is far too much potential for damage for me to want to use my own gear at work.