Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2015, 05:28 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Optical preview vibration

Hi everyone,

I'm still quite new to photography and I've been noticing that when I use optical preview at large apertures (1.8-6), the mirror (I think) appears to 'bounce' and the view through the viewfinder is jogged. While this isn't really an issue to me as it's very quick, should this happen/is it damaging the camera?

It's a k-s2 with da 50mm f1.8 if that is important.

11-29-2015, 05:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Optical preview does not move the mirror. It simply closes the aperture. And at f/1.8 it actually does nothing ;-)

So not sure where your problem comes from.
11-29-2015, 06:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian

With pentax cameras the image stabilization is the sensor, not the lens, therefore the optical preview is not stabilized.
11-29-2015, 09:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

11-29-2015, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jabbershort Quote
It's a k-s2 with da 50mm f1.8 if that is important.
It sounds lens issue. When camera tries to move the aperture lever on the lens, the optic part moves with it, thus the shaking in VF.
Mount another lens on the camera, and mount this lens on another camera if you have and see if it is unique to this lens.
If it is a new purchase, you should return it.
11-29-2015, 12:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've tried it on a couple more lens (18-55&50-200) and I'm getting the same effect, but it is much less noticeable (quicker and the 'bounce' is lesser). One of the lens is borrowed, but the others are both new. I'll take the lot back to the shop and see what they say. Thanks!
11-29-2015, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #7

On k-50 mirror is for some reason linked with aperture lever, probably on k-s2 is same situation. On k-3 they are separate.
Hope this helps
12-01-2015, 03:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by osib Quote
On k-50 mirror is for some reason linked with aperture lever, probably on k-s2 is same situation. On k-3 they are separate.
Hope this helps
That was my thought as well. I would contact Ricoh/Pentax and describe your problem to them. If your camera is new (less that a month old), I would contact the seller to arrange a replacement. What you describe is not supposed to happen.

Steve

12-02-2015, 04:28 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So I went to a couple of local shops, and both of them had display copies which I tried and they had the same effect. I talked to the guys in both shops and they both came to the conclusion that it was just a quirk of the construction of the model and it was nothing to worry about, however one shop gave me the details of the local Ricoh rep and told me to contact them for proper confirmation. I have sent him a message and will post the response here when it comes. Thanks everyone for your assistance.
12-02-2015, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Nice to have a couple of local stores that have the K-S2 in stock. I wish the situation was the same in the US.

Perhaps post a question in the K-S1/K-S2 section of the forum to see what other K-S2 users are experiencing. Or report your first post and ask the moderators to move this thread to the K-S2 section.
12-03-2015, 03:16 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've just got a response from the Ricoh rep, if anyone is interested:

"Hi Matthew,

There is no problem with the K-S2, this is the normal operation. There is one part which controls both the aperture and the mirror which is why when checking the DOF there is a shudder in the view finder.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards"
12-03-2015, 05:27 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery
Could not find a problem

This entry forced me to check a feature I had not tested, mainly because I never use optical preview. Anyway, gave it a try, no problems on my camera, cannot even understand the explanation from Ricoh. Why should there be a shudder???
12-03-2015, 10:34 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by jabbershort Quote
There is no problem with the K-S2, this is the normal operation. There is one part which controls both the aperture and the mirror which is why when checking the DOF there is a shudder in the view finder.
This is what I have write few posts above. It is little annoying that mirror is going up and down everytime you use optical preview or stop down metering but that is situation on mid-range pentax body.

Regards