Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2015, 11:27 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-S1 versus K-01; K-01 WINS

I just bought a new K-S1 and did some quick tests versus my K-01, which I really like.

In short, the K-01 is a much better camera because:
K-01 quieter shutter of course ie mirroless; K-S1 very noisy
K-01 color palette better than K-S2; Yes, I know they can be tweaked but K-01 pics just better with same lenses; K-01 pics a bit sharper also at when pixel peaking. Surprised at this.
K-S1 does focus a bit faster than the K-01.

Biggest surprise: Movie SR wobble, which is pretty bad on the K-01, IS WORSE ON THE K-S1. I was shocked. Tested this extensively. Makes the K-01 video look stable in comparison. What is Pentax doing? I was hoping to see progress in this area but NO. Appears to have gotten worse. Can't believe it. Of course my K-5 is more stable in video, but has HUGE video files.

I think the K-S1 is going back soon. Disappointed. Has anyone compared the Movie SR in the K-3 versus the K-S1? Is the K-3 better or the same? Pentax really needs to get their act together in video. It's inexcusable at this point to be having these issues.

Last edited by rdj92807; 12-04-2015 at 11:53 PM.
12-05-2015, 12:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't get it. First you say K-S1, then it's a K-S2, then it's a K-S1 again. which is it?

Each to their own. In comparison to the K-01, K30/K50 the K-S1 shots I've seen are quite pleasing. While there is little to choose between them I favor the results from the K-S1.

Either way they K-01 and K-S1 are both fine cameras. Only you can decide which you prefer.
12-05-2015, 09:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rdj92807 Quote
I just bought a new K-S1 and did some quick tests versus my K-01, which I really like.
I might have bought a K-01 but it has no viewfinder. I don't ever use liveview so that wrote it straight out of the picture. Also the K-S1 has better resolution. And it doesn't have the things that I don't want, such as a tilty screen and a second wheel.
12-05-2015, 10:17 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
The K-S2 is a typo....meant K-S1.

I would like comments from people who have actually compared these cameras by doing actual tests, as opinions don't really help others decide. Any Movie SR comparisons in terms of wobble, for K-3 vs K-01 vs K-S1 etc?

12-05-2015, 10:29 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've compared my K-01 favourably to every camera I own. Those of us who got them for under $300 got one of the bargains of the century. I'm not sure I'd want it as my only camera, but I love bringing it as a second body. With the 60-250 on the K-3 and the 21 ltd or 40XS on the K-01, you're ready for just about anything.

Last edited by normhead; 12-23-2015 at 06:05 PM.
12-05-2015, 11:14 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The are both nice cameras. I think I prefer the K-S1 as it focuses considerably faster, can actually track objects, and has a very nice viewfinder.

K-S1 shot (with DA 15 limited)

K-01 shot (with FA 31 limited)

12-05-2015, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is quite possible to get a camera with focus problems. Years ago a K200D that owned me just would not work right. No matter how gently it was treated, it was just a tad soft with every photograph. You could be having similar problems with your K-S1.

As Normhead mentioned already, the K-01 was, and still is, one of the great deals of the century.
12-17-2015, 01:19 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
I noticed that with same lenses the KS1 is sharper in the centre but the K-01 produces more even sharpness across the frame. Since the KS1 sensor is obviously sharper, the difference must be related to phase vs contrast AF. It's a subtle difference that requires pixel peeping to be noticed.

12-17-2015, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alex-virt Quote
I noticed that with same lenses the KS1 is sharper in the centre but the K-01 produces more even sharpness across the frame. Since the KS1 sensor is obviously sharper, the difference must be related to phase vs contrast AF. It's a subtle difference that requires pixel peeping to be noticed.
Scary stuff....
12-22-2015, 08:29 PM   #10
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rdj92807 Quote

In short, the K-01 is a much better camera because:
K-01 quieter shutter of course ie mirroless; K-S1 very noisy
K-01 color palette better than K-S2; Yes, I know they can be tweaked but K-01 pics just better with same lenses; K-01 pics a bit sharper also at when pixel peaking. Surprised at this.
K-S1 does focus a bit faster than the K-01.

Biggest surprise: Movie SR wobble, which is pretty bad on the K-01, IS WORSE ON THE K-S1. I was shocked. Tested this extensively. Makes the K-01 video look stable in comparison. What is Pentax doing? I was hoping to see progress in this area but NO. Appears to have gotten worse. Can't believe it. Of course my K-5 is more stable in video, but has HUGE video files.

I think the K-S1 is going back soon. Disappointed. Has anyone compared the Movie SR in the K-3 versus the K-S1? Is the K-3 better or the same? Pentax really needs to get their act together in video. It's inexcusable at this point to be having these issues.
I wouldn't expect much difference in image quality between the two cameras. The comment about sharpness is a bit puzzling because the K-S1 has more pixels and no AA filter, so if it's noticeable, it should be the other way round.

If you use the K-S1 in live view mode, does that solve the sharpness problem? If so, might this be a case of needing to correct for front/back focus for the PDAF system? Of course the CDAF-only system in the K-01 (and K-S1 in live view) would be immune to this problem. If you have done this already, I have no idea what the problem would be.

To say something in favour of the K-S1 image quality, I saw some comparison shots on this forum that showed the K-S1 handled blue neon and LED light sources in a more natural way than the K-01 does. Since there's a lot of neon where I live, it actually causes problems in my shots quite often.

But I can completely understand having a preference for the K-01. It's a simple and direct camera with very good image quality. I've had 3 1/2 years' use out of mine and I'm keeping it as a companion to my K-5 IIs until it breaks.
12-23-2015, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

This all makes me wish I never sold my white K-01.

Clearly the most attractive finish, btw!
12-23-2015, 05:23 PM   #12
Pentaxian

IIRC, Thoog had a post where he directly compared images from the K-S1 with the K-01, and the K-S1 had the edge in sharpness.

The OP doesn't list any strengths of the K-S1 vs the K-01. He's a hit-n-run poster, incompetent if not a troll.

And I love my K-01.
12-23-2015, 05:48 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They are both excellent little cameras (but not perfect by any means). The K-S1 has an edge outdoors (OVF, higher res & a little more detail); the K-01 has an edge indoors (quieter shutter, a little less noise* in higher ISOs). The K-S1 has faster focusing and 10x zoom in LiveView; the K-01 has interval shooting and longer battery life. The K-S1 has the annoying SD card behind the battery door; the K-01 has the annoying rubber flappy door. The K-S1 has a much better On/Off switch and an annoying AF/MF switch; the K-01 has an annoying On/Off switch and a much better AF/MF switch. The 20MP sensor reminds me of the excellent 12MP in the K-x, just with a lot more pixels; the 16MP sensor is the "sweet sixteen", and just makes gorgeous images - but blue LEDs drive it crazy.

I hope Pentax keeps trying to make a minimally-sized K-mount body, because I really enjoy shooting with them, even with their quirks.

*the ISO noise on the K-S1 is dead easy to clean up in post with little to no loss of detail, but that may or may not be an extra step, depending on your workflow.

Last edited by THoog; 12-23-2015 at 05:58 PM.
12-24-2015, 04:01 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote

*the ISO noise on the K-S1 is dead easy to clean up in post with little to no loss of detail, but that may or may not be an extra step, depending on your workflow.
Hi, which workflow do you use with k-s1?
Coming from a k7, I'm finding some difficults with the "almost new" ks1.
12-24-2015, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by giuseppesavo Quote
Hi, which workflow do you use with k-s1?
It depends on what I'm shooting. If you shoot RAW and use Lightroom, then all you have to do to correct the high ISO noise is set the correction for "luminance"-type noise to about 40. If I'm just shooting JPEG, then I don't worry about ISO noise.

A lot of folks had initial problems moving from the K-5 to the K-3 or the K-30/50 to the K-S2, because they had gotten used to the behavior of the 16MP sensor and had to come up with a new set of settings to match their tastes. I've never used the the Samsung sensor in the K-20/K-7, so I can't really make any recommendations.