Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2015, 10:35 AM   #1

Pentax K-S2 Shake Reduction IBIS Effectiveness

Was going through a few Reviews of the Pentax K-3 and Pentax K-S2.

some questions were raised on the effectiveness of Image Stabilization in the K-3

Pentax K-3 Hands on Review

Also saw a pretty good amazon review where the Sony 5100 was stated having better IS than K-S2.

so Does the K-S2 have the Same IBIS setup as K-3 or is it better since it's newer?? I know that K-3 II has better IS (4.5 stops)

Does it give 3.5 stops of stabilization as stated?

Are there any other issues with stabilization in K-S2 or K-3 (if K-3 and K-S2 have same SR setup)

Just wanted to know some user experiences or issues about In Body Image Stabilization from K-S2 and K-3.

12-12-2015, 03:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
Also saw a pretty good amazon review where the Sony 5100 was stated having better IS than K-S2.
It seems to me that IBIS must be better in principle than doing it in the lens, especially since, as Pentax has done, you can do other things as well via the same mechanism, such as getting rid of the AA-filter while being able to simulate it at will.
12-13-2015, 08:13 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote

Then you'd better disregard that review as written by someone who didn't know what they were talking about.

No Sony APS-C camera has IBIS, AFAIK, you've got to shell out big bucks for full frame.
12-13-2015, 08:16 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Then you'd better disregard that review as written by someone who didn't know what they were talking about.

No Sony APS-C camera has IBIS, AFAIK, you've got to shell out big bucks for full frame.
When I first started looking in 2009, Sony & Olympus were on my short list because of IBIS.

12-13-2015, 08:26 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
When I first started looking in 2009, Sony & Olympus were on my short list because of IBIS.

Sony have IBIS in their dying DSLR-like A mount series crop bodies - they're not mirrorless.

Olympus have very good 5-way IBIS that's found its way into the high end FF Alpha mirrorless bodies.

Last edited by clackers; 12-13-2015 at 08:32 PM.