Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2015, 04:49 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
thinking about getting a K-S2 - how are they to handle with bigger lenses?

I was looking at at getting my wife one to replace her K-x, and was thinking about the K3 or K3II but they are still a little out of my range and overall the K-S2 looks like it would suit her, (and the fact I can get it in white which is how she likes to differentiate between hers and my cameras)

She's getting into some portrait work, and the larger image size and built in Wi-fi look like they would be good for this application. I may also pick up a 50mm prime lens for it.

Her most used lens though, is a Sigma 18-250, and it's quite bulky diameter & weight wise compared to my Pentax 18-250 lens, and I'm wondering with the smaller body mentioned in the review on this board, if it may be an awkward combination.

I thought I'd check here and see if anyone here has a similar lens on their K-S2 and how it handles with it.

Thanks in advance.

12-14-2015, 04:53 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-S2 is not smaller than the K-x. (You may be thinking of the K-S1.) Width and height are about the same, and the grip on the K-S2 is actually a little deeper than the K-x, which may make it handle the larger lenses better.

Compare camera dimensions side by side
12-14-2015, 09:19 PM   #3

Original Poster
thanks, good to know about the grip - and I'll bookmark that site!

Last edited by Glen_S; 12-14-2015 at 09:24 PM.
12-15-2015, 12:29 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
However, I wouldn't bank on the wifi working. In fact you might want to check with Ricoh to see if the app works on your phone because if it doesn't, they won't do anything about it.

12-15-2015, 02:55 PM   #5

Original Poster
Well, the wi-fi is more of a nice to have - but it would still be disappointing if it didn't work. I pulled the trigger on one last night so it'll get here in time, so I guess I'll find out.

I don't recall reading anything terrible negative about the wi-fi in the reviews, however. Are some here finding it flaky?
12-15-2015, 03:01 PM   #6
Forum Member

Wifi works fine on ours. Camera overall is a huge upgrade over the K-X it replaced. I think she'll be pleased.
12-15-2015, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
I like using her K-x ok, but I really miss the dual control dials that my K10D has, it'll be nice to have them on her camera now.

I wanted to get her a K3 or K3 II, but I think that'll be my next camera, I'm thinking there should be a price drop pretty soon when Pentax releases it's next model.

12-15-2015, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Handling has technique, so you have to ask yourself - "The way I currently hold a camera to my eye, what happens if I remove my right hand altogether?"

If two seconds later there'd be the sound of your 70-200 hitting the ground, your method's wrong. :-)

Last edited by clackers; 12-15-2015 at 04:57 PM.
01-04-2016, 07:43 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen_S Quote
I was looking at at getting my wife one to replace her K-x, and was thinking about the K3 or K3II but they are still a little out of my range and overall the K-S2 looks like it would suit her, (and the fact I can get it in white which is how she likes to differentiate between hers and my cameras)

She's getting into some portrait work, and the larger image size and built in Wi-fi look like they would be good for this application. I may also pick up a 50mm prime lens for it.

Her most used lens though, is a Sigma 18-250, and it's quite bulky diameter & weight wise compared to my Pentax 18-250 lens, and I'm wondering with the smaller body mentioned in the review on this board, if it may be an awkward combination.

I thought I'd check here and see if anyone here has a similar lens on their K-S2 and how it handles with it.

Thanks in advance.
I have received my KS2 on December 31 around 2PM. Put on a 55-300 and took the couple to a local park. Previously I was using K-30, however it failed - so called aperture motor block (black photos). It did not feel that easy as on K-30, as K-30 grip has different shape and curves. I was very disappointed. It was my first day. The next day I have replaced 55-300 to 50-200. The camera with this lens felt very comfortable while walking and photographing. The 16-45 is also fine. Now after such built up experience I expect that 55-300 would feel also OK. My next camera walk will be with 55-300.
Leo
01-09-2016, 10:58 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Handling has technique, so you have to ask yourself - "The way I currently hold a camera to my eye, what happens if I remove my right hand altogether?"

If two seconds later there'd be the sound of your 70-200 hitting the ground, your method's wrong. :-)
Bingo bongo! I bought a K-S1 even though reviews and general comments all poo poo the flashing LEDs and slippery grip. Over the decades, I have held my cameras primarily by the lens barrel and the right hand acts as a steady and trigger finger. So IMHO Clackers is absolutely right - it depends entirely on how you hold your gear. I personally say the bigger the lens the better!
01-09-2016, 02:39 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the K-S2 and love it. The largest lens I have is the Tamron 70-200 and it works fine for my average size hands. One of the best things I like about the K-S2 is the folding lcd screen. I have bad knees and when I want to take a quick knee level photo it is so much easier using this camera. Before I would have to either sit or lay on the ground, which in a quickly changing scene is not good for me.
01-17-2016, 05:08 PM   #12
Forum Member

Today use my K-S2 with 55-300 on and off monopod. The same as on K-30 easy and nice. I have upload two just taken photos to Pentax to this post - low clouds and dark. K-S2 is a very convenient camera, also smaller and lighter than K-3.

The Oak: 1/400s, f/7, ISO 400, 120mm
The Hills: 1/60s, f/6.3. ISOO 400, 107mm
Leo
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
01-20-2016, 09:00 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm using a DA* 300mm on mine with no problems.

01-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I'm using a DA* 300mm on mine with no problems.
I like this lens on K-S2 :-)
Leo
01-26-2016, 08:24 AM   #15
Forum Member

Second or third on the wifi issue. The app works for some, not for many others. Myself included. Seems to be a total crap shoot, at least with Android phones. I suggest downloading it, Ricoh Image Sync, and see if you get past the splash screen. OK, my goes past it, but just to black. No nothing. Older Android I bought cheap just for this purpose, does not work. Should, according the the specs and my version.