Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2015, 01:35 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 18-250 not working on KS2

Santa brought my wife a new K-S2, she loves it & really enjoys the extra features it has over her K-x. However today she tried to put her Sigma 18-250 on it and it doesn't seem to like the lens at all. If she powers the camera off and back on it will for for a couple of pictures, then just quits working with the shutter speed on the OSD just flashing. She said she tried turning the OS off on the lens but it made no difference.

I took my Pentax 18-250 off of my K10 and put it on the K-S2 and it works just fine, as I speak she's filling an SD card with shots from our bird feeders. I put her Sigma lens on my K10 and it works fine again, as it does on her K-x.

Is there a setting somewhere on the camera and/or lens we need to change? I could just leave my Pentax 18-250 on it but I prefer it over the Sigma, and she's used to the Sigma lens and would like to get it working,

thanks in advance

12-27-2015, 02:38 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not familiar with the KS2, but there is not any obvious reason for the Sigma 18-250mm not to work if it does work on your K10 and K-x.

A few comments:

-You definitely need to switch off the in-lens OS.

-Have you tried yourself the KS2 and Sigma? Was there any manual error? Switching off the camera, does the lens and camera work again together?

-On what mode was the KS2? I advise to try the Green mode first and then the P-mode.

My 5 cents...

Last edited by hcc; 12-27-2015 at 03:09 AM.
12-27-2015, 10:41 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks for the reply - it seemed to work for a few pictures if she cycled the camera's power, then would just quit. I will try it myself later today and get more details, and make sure the in lens OS is off. Will post back with results.
12-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well that was weird - put the lens on again and it works fine, with or without lens OS on. She was taking bird pics and had it on Tv mode with a fast shutter, and it was good, but even when I put it on auto modes it was fine. The only thing I can think of the battery wasn't fully charged yesterday because she wanted to try the camera out - but I don't think that should make any difference..

update - I spoke too soon - for some reason the Sigma lens just randomly stops working completely. Some of the numbers will start flashing on the back screen (usually aperture) and nothing works. Cycle through modes etc, and nothing. Power the camera off and on again & everything works again, then will just stop. When it's doing this I can hear a whirring & sometimes clicking sound in either the lens or camera body. It definitely seems like there is some compatibility issues with this lens. I guess the lens could be faulty, but if I move it over to my K10 or Kx it works perfectly and I can't replicate the problem.

Last edited by Glen_S; 12-27-2015 at 01:54 PM.
12-27-2015, 04:53 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the lens under warranty? In the affirmative, I would consider to exchange it.

One last question? Did you use Liveview or the optical view finder?

With a superzoom, I only use the optical viewfinder. The Liveview often cannot focus well.

Hope that you can resolve the issue one way or another.
12-27-2015, 05:12 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Is the lens under warranty? In the affirmative, I would consider to exchange it.

One last question? Did you use Liveview or the optical view finder?

With a superzoom, I only use the optical viewfinder. The Liveview often cannot focus well.

Hope that you can resolve the issue one way or another.
She bought the lens a few years ago so it's out of warranty, but the thing is it still works perfectly fine on any of the other two cameras. She's been eyeing up the new Pentax 18-270 for this camera, in the meantime my Pentax 18-250 works fine so we'll just swap lenses and I'll use the Sigma on my K10D.

I was using optical viewfinder only, I don't use live view with any of my DSLR cameras.