Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2016, 09:16 AM   #1
Forum Member

Very first impressions of the K-S2

Mind you, my last digital camera was/is a Konica-Minolta A2, ca. 2004. As it is slowly dying, three functions now dead, I figured it might be time to buy a new camera. Over the last number of years, I could readily see that my phone camera could exceed A2 results, like those images of my family's P&S cameras and phones. It's not so much the hardware specs got unusable, especially the megapixel stupidity, but the firmware/processor side of things.

I started with looking at Pentax products only because I have many K-mount lenses from my Vivitar and Ricoh body days since 1981, including a 1200mm tele. And that I've been using Ricoh XR-7 and XR-P film cameras for many years. ("Ricoh: Proving that the brain behind the brand is more important than what the world sees.") Ironic that they now own Pentax.

After looking at a fair number of other brands and cameras, I came back to Pentax for two reasons. As mentioned, one was the lens compatibility; it just seems right. Free glass to play with, so to speak. At that point, looking at the K50, what a bargain, but with a "but." No A2 fiip screen. So, I looked at the K-S2 with the the flip out and every whicha way LCD screen that it offers. After experiencing the simple up/down version in the A2, I would not want to be able to have the option of low perspective shooting without bending or laying on the ground. More useful than yet another lens. (I've taken many stunning images like that. In fact, put the camera on a monopod with wired remote shutter release, hold just above ground level.) Don't care much about selfies but I guess I'll have to shoot some "just because."

The caveat in this little report is that I know nothing what Nikon, Canon, et. al. are doing. Or, other Pentax's. Frankly, I don't care. I refuse to get wrapped up in excruciating auto-focus response milliseconds or if the arm pit scratching feature is mono or stereo. For me, the bigger issues are lens compatibility, size (smaller is better), a flip screen, and overall, logical ease of use. OK, good results; either as I would like to see, or even better. The K-S2 delivers for me.

As I scroll through the many settings options, I'm agog. I'm in a hole in the wall Mexican restaurant last night, and i have a choice of what, six fluorescent color balances? And the pictures are color balanced perfect. Even when the outside was captured through the door at dusk, it wasn't off the charts blue. Very nice.

The only Bzzzzt! I've found so far is the wifi situation. One can't change the password, to start with. WHAT?? PEOPLE WANT TO STEAL MY IMAGES? Gimme a logical break, Mr. Pentax Paranoiacs. And only as an infrastructure AP? Jeeeez, just gimme my USB cord, ya know? And I know I'm going to really miss having a simple wired remote. How do you hold and manipulate a cell phone AND the camera if it isn't on a tripod? This is a reason I decided to buy this camera. It's for naught. It sucks. Again, I have no idea what other cameras do.

I've read a lot about Pentax shutter noise; Prior to getting my camera, I envisioned unleashed tympani. In "Not Live View," But, real world, it's no worse and probably better than many film SLR's. OTOH, I am absolutely puzzled why when in Live View the mirror has to come back down again to only return to where it was! A major WTH? You're half way home sequentially, and you go back where you started from? Very weird. Maybe I'm missing a real obvious reason, a DOH! ???

I took some shots at a creek looking towards the sun. Bracketed, RAW+JPEG with DR setting on both high and low. Pretty amazing, bottom line. A couple images facing the other way under the bridge to where a homeless guy had set up himself a nice little camp. Very dim, bright on the other side. Not unexpected, the other side was washed out, but a very usable image of his camp @ ISO 3200.

I've long realized that "No (insert product here) is perfect." With this camera I have a subtly eye catching gray and olive drab (manly?), rather small body, that with the kit lens is weatherproof. Both for $549, color upgrade included! I look forward to doing some bad weather shooting (and people staring at me!). I picked up a used Sigma 18-200mm lens on eBay for $90. All three fit, but w/o the strap in a small Ruggard 15, 105 c.i. bag. Or, with strap and leave the kit lens home. Definitely does not signal to a thief that there is a real DSLR in there. (See thread here about safety and theft last week.)

The proverbial bottom line: It's a keeper. I'll learn to live with it's short comings because for sure, if I corrected them by purchasing something different, I would find a different set of shortcomings! And pay a hell of a lot more for the privilege.

Go Pentax!

Last edited by paulvzo; 01-15-2016 at 09:32 AM.
01-15-2016, 09:19 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Enjoy it!
It's an amazing camera!
01-15-2016, 10:43 AM   #3

I have nothing but praise for the K-S2. Recently I made a trip (from my home in Canada) to New Zealand and Australia. But I wasn't confident of my old K-r so I bought the K-S2. Well I could meet every demand in every situation with that amazing camera. Ok- I did have to cover it in the rain as I had it coupled with a Sigma 24-70/2.8 (that was the only lens I took, along with the old 1.7x AF converter) but that camera proved to be all that was necessary, be it shots in blazing sun, heavy overcast with pelting rain, sunsets, night shots and deep underground in caves. The auto WB was right on in all these situations, even over sun-glare water and under heavy green rain forest canopys. So what I'm saying is that it's a great all around camera; the features are first class.
Anyway, I just joined up on this forum so I'll introduce myself properly in the correct section shortly.
01-15-2016, 10:49 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
you can change the password

The Buzzz is you can change the wireless password. Go into "settings" -communications settings-on Image Sync when using Image Sync android app and change the password to any thing you like, It worked for me.
Hank

01-15-2016, 12:08 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by oneeyedhawk Quote
The Buzzz is you can change the wireless password. Go into "settings" -communications settings-on Image Sync when using Image Sync android app and change the password to any thing you like, It worked for me.
Hank
Sheesh! Ha ha...... I use a Windows Phone but ordered a used $20 Android to be a Pentax accessory. I'm hoping that I'll be able to use it as an intermediary to transfer files, including to my OneDrive account. We shall see. At the least it's my remote shutter.
01-15-2016, 06:28 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Not weatherproof but weather resistant.
01-16-2016, 10:10 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Not weatherproof but weather resistant.
Yeah, just sloppy interchangeable adjectives in the vernacular. Would not be advisable if selling a camera, but among friends, we know what we mean.