Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2016, 03:08 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax K-S2

I will purchasing a camera this year, I'm debating whether to go DSLR or a mirrorless. I have been a big fan of Pentax through the years. I like shooting nature birds especially and landscapes. A DSLR would be a Pentax K-S2 or a K-3, mirrorless would be a O.

I have read the pro and cons regarding both systems. Would going DSLR give me the best option overall for better photography?

01-19-2016, 04:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PhotoHeron Quote
Would going DSLR give me the best option overall for better photography?
YES!

The K-3 (and K-S2) is a great camera, you will not be disappointed!

Have fun with whatever you choose
01-29-2016, 03:46 PM   #3

I'm former M43 user. What brought me to Pentax was the glass. For me, that's where it starts. I had a Panasonic GX1 which had a truly small camera body. If you talking about Olympus OMD, size-wise it's pretty much the same as KS2, it is not a small camera with that prism sitting atop the lens. You pair the Olympus OMD with the Leica 25mm F1.4 and you are carrying around a load that is probably the same as a KS2 with the 31mm F1.8. The only reason the KS2 would be heavier is because the 31mm F1.8 is all metal.

I felt constrained by the M43 system. They did have some nice glass, but I just felt the colors and overall impact of the pictures was lacking compared to APS-C. With Pentax I am truly surprised at the huge selection of lenses to choose from. Narrowing my selection has not been easy. The only other M43 lens I felt compelled to get was the Leica 42.5mm F1.2 Nocticron but at the end of the day, I thought moving to a whole new system was the best decision.

I'm glad I got to experience M43 system. Panasonic's touch screen user interface is hands down the best I have ever used on any camera, totally intuitive. Part of the reason I moved away from M43 was the quality of the pictures. M43 is probably best for street photography. In fact, Panasonic's GX7 has features specifically designed for street photography with a silent shutter mode. This is not surprising as Leica is the King of street photography and Panasonic's designs have been heavily influenced by them.

Pentax has a new lineup of Limited lenses with a "DA" designation which implies a design with Digital Cameras in mind. These new lenses offer unforgivingly sharp performance and incredible contrast. One of the things I'm trying to get away from is unforgivingly sharp performance. I'm trying my best to avoid any lens designed for Digital SLR's.

I find the quality from the Limited prime lenses which have an "FA" designation are much more to my liking. You can call me old school or whatnot, but that classic film look is "in". Many people don't realize it. It's the reason a software app called Instagram is so extremely popular. This software, which is found on mobile smart phones, simply takes a picture and makes it look like it was taken on film. Every other new software for photography today includes filters that allow people to add that "filmic" quality to their photos.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to buy the 31mm F1.8 Limited so I can look cool. I genuinely prefer a picture that looks like it came straight off a glossy magazine cover. When you have a photo that is so unforgivingly sharp that you feel like you can touch the subject, it has an edge that turns me off. It's like listening to a nice set of Klipsch horned tweeters. Sure they are nice and detailed, but they can be bright and harsh. After 10 minutes, listening fatigue sets in and it's not a nice experience.
01-29-2016, 04:40 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mahadragon Quote
I'm former M43 user. What brought me to Pentax was the glass. For me, that's where it starts. I had a Panasonic GX1 which had a truly small camera body. If you talking about Olympus OMD, size-wise it's pretty much the same as KS2, it is not a small camera with that prism sitting atop the lens. You pair the Olympus OMD with the Leica 25mm F1.4 and you are carrying around a load that is probably the same as a KS2 with the 31mm F1.8. The only reason the KS2 would be heavier is because the 31mm F1.8 is all metal.

I felt constrained by the M43 system. They did have some nice glass, but I just felt the colors and overall impact of the pictures was lacking compared to APS-C. With Pentax I am truly surprised at the huge selection of lenses to choose from. Narrowing my selection has not been easy. The only other M43 lens I felt compelled to get was the Leica 42.5mm F1.2 Nocticron but at the end of the day, I thought moving to a whole new system was the best decision.

I'm glad I got to experience M43 system. Panasonic's touch screen user interface is hands down the best I have ever used on any camera, totally intuitive. Part of the reason I moved away from M43 was the quality of the pictures. M43 is probably best for street photography. In fact, Panasonic's GX7 has features specifically designed for street photography with a silent shutter mode. This is not surprising as Leica is the King of street photography and Panasonic's designs have been heavily influenced by them.

Pentax has a new lineup of Limited lenses with a "DA" designation which implies a design with Digital Cameras in mind. These new lenses offer unforgivingly sharp performance and incredible contrast. One of the things I'm trying to get away from is unforgivingly sharp performance. I'm trying my best to avoid any lens designed for Digital SLR's.

I find the quality from the Limited prime lenses which have an "FA" designation are much more to my liking. You can call me old school or whatnot, but that classic film look is "in". Many people don't realize it. It's the reason a software app called Instagram is so extremely popular. This software, which is found on mobile smart phones, simply takes a picture and makes it look like it was taken on film. Every other new software for photography today includes filters that allow people to add that "filmic" quality to their photos.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to buy the 31mm F1.8 Limited so I can look cool. I genuinely prefer a picture that looks like it came straight off a glossy magazine cover. When you have a photo that is so unforgivingly sharp that you feel like you can touch the subject, it has an edge that turns me off. It's like listening to a nice set of Klipsch horned tweeters. Sure they are nice and detailed, but they can be bright and harsh. After 10 minutes, listening fatigue sets in and it's not a nice experience.
Thank you for your input and insight. Buying a camera is hard decision you must look at what type of photography you are going to use the camera for. MU 4/3 I'm learning is niche camera and a DSLR is more all purpose.camera. Photo quality is indeed better with a DSLR.

01-30-2016, 03:35 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by PhotoHeron Quote
I will purchasing a camera this year, I'm debating whether to go DSLR or a mirrorless. I have been a big fan of Pentax through the years. I like shooting nature birds especially and landscapes. A DSLR would be a Pentax K-S2 or a K-3, mirrorless would be a O.

I have read the pro and cons regarding both systems. Would going DSLR give me the best option overall for better photography?
For years I shot Panasonic micro 4/3rds, a well built camera with good glass. I had no reason to change cameras until one day using my grand-daughter's K30. It fitted my hand like a glove compared to the Pana and after firing off a dozen or so shots, I just had to have one. No more scrolling the menu for those often changed settings, just press the INFO button and the're all on the screen, so intuitive and user friendly as are the position of all the controls. I bought the K50 and then the
K-S2 for its swivel screen and position of back focus button, and now own in my opinion, a very capable landscape camera body.
I can't comment on Pentax's AF tracking as I don't take birds in flight, a point unfortunately ignored in my last post.