Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2016, 09:47 AM   #1
Forum Member

Need good low light lens

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for a good low light wide angle lens for my KS-2. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience that you can pass along?

Thanks,

01-25-2016, 09:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Define wide angle. 'Wide angle' starts at 24mm on APS-C. Does it have to be autofocus? Or can you live with manual focus?
01-25-2016, 10:05 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Define wide angle. 'Wide angle' starts at 24mm on APS-C. Does it have to be autofocus? Or can you live with manual focus?
That's the thing, I'm a little lost when it come to the options. Auto focus would be best but I won't be troubled if it's manual focus.
01-25-2016, 10:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

while technically not a wide-angle when used on a crop-sensor, the Sigma 30mm art is hard to beat.
When the Pentax FF comes out, that would be a very sweet wide-angle lens to have in your kit.

Michael

01-25-2016, 10:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dahabit Quote
That's the thing, I'm a little lost when it come to the options. Auto focus would be best but I won't be troubled if it's manual focus.
If you can live with manual focus the Samyang wide angles would probably be hard to beat.

Samyang Optics, Lenses for Camera ? Cine ? Photo - VDSLR, Prime Lenses & Third party Lenses

Samyang Optics, Lenses for Camera ? Cine ? Photo - VDSLR, Prime Lenses & Third party Lenses

Slightly slower

These are sold in North America under various brand names; Bower, Vivitar etc.
01-25-2016, 10:22 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks.
01-25-2016, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
while technically not a wide-angle when used on a crop-sensor, the Sigma 30mm art is hard to beat.
When the Pentax FF comes out, that would be a very sweet wide-angle lens to have in your kit.

Michael
The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art - That one doesn't cover the full frame circle, though it gets close from the pictures I have seen. It is marketed as an APS-C lens.
The Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art, on the other hand, is a full frame lens and that is reflected in its price and its size...

For the OP's original question, I think most people would recommend the Tamron 17-50mm, Sigma 17-50mm or Pentax 16-50mm if you need autofocus. If autofocus is not necessary, there's the Samyang or Rokinon (same lens, different marketing names) 16mm f2 - and with a distance scale at this focal length, you might be able to get by perfectly without auto focus, depending on the kind of shooting you do.
01-25-2016, 10:33 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art - That one doesn't cover the full frame circle, though it gets close from the pictures I have seen. It is marketed as an APS-C lens.
The Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art, on the other hand, is a full frame lens and that is reflected in its price and its size...

For the OP's original question, I think most people would recommend the Tamron 17-50mm, Sigma 17-50mm or Pentax 16-50mm if you need autofocus. If autofocus is not necessary, there's the Samyang or Rokinon (same lens, different marketing names) 16mm f2 - and with a distance scale at this focal length, you might be able to get by perfectly without auto focus, depending on the kind of shooting you do.
I do a little bit of city shots and mountain shots.

01-25-2016, 11:47 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dahabit Quote
I do a little bit of city shots and mountain shots.
Why do you need low light capability? What you might need is a tripod.

Low light is usually needed for indoor shots or event shots...

For city views and mountain views you usually shoot at f8 or smaller for more DOF...