Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2016, 09:26 PM   #1
Forum Member

Best default JPEG Settings?

OK, back from Mexico and processing my first batch of DNG + JPEG's. It seems to me that the JPEG's are decidedly flat. Lack punch.

Back in the digital dark ages, oh, you know, 16 years ago, the rather radical Minolta D5 and D7 processed to a rather flat image....unless you ran it through their viewer program first. Very weird, and a lot of WTX observations, of course.

The later A1 and A2 Konica versions brought back saturation and contrast. Also, you had some choices in the settings for final output, like Sharpness.

I have been through every menu setting on this camera, and the downloaded PDF User's manual, not just the quick start printed version with the camera. (Which begs the question, why don't the print out the whole enchilada, it's not a lot bigger.)

I used the RAW files and manipulated each image, one by one to get the results I thought correct. I shouldn't have to do this for, let's call them snap shots. Not art. Not perfection, just nice pictures, ya know?

I know there are setting for Bright, Natural, etc. What works? What gives some punch? And are there any controls for sharpness?

Thanks for your thoughts.

01-25-2016, 09:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally I use Bright but set saturation and contrast to -1. For all I know that is almost identical to another setting (i.e. Natural) but at least I can pretend it's all my choice A sharpness adjustment is at the bottom of each type, so you can play with that as well to see what you prefer.
01-27-2016, 07:15 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Personally I use Bright but set saturation and contrast to -1. For all I know that is almost identical to another setting (i.e. Natural) but at least I can pretend it's all my choice A sharpness adjustment is at the bottom of each type, so you can play with that as well to see what you prefer.
Thanks for the tip, I found out how to do it. So many control options in these modern cameras, and I hadn't either stumbled across it or caught it in the manual.

Mucho more better now!