Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2016, 08:04 AM   #1
Forum Member

FlashAir card (and Windows Phone)

I gave up on the camera's built in wifi. As noted elsewhere, I bought a cheap used Android for the Image Sync app, and as many have reported, it often does not work. Can't speak to iPhone's app. Ricoh should be ashamed that with all their resouces, they put such a bad product out there.

I discovered two apps for Toshiba's FlashAir cards in the Windows Phone store. One sucked, but My FlashAir is outstanding. Free, even.

The My FlashAir app lets you load images into the camera, or share via things like OneDrive, email, or text. You can select what folder to load them to in OneDrive, but not your camera.

I bought a 32GB card for under $30. Warning: The card comes with nothing helpful besides a link in the paper instructions. The latter's English reminds me of products from Japan forty years ago, or often, China, today.

You have to download a PC or Mac program from that link, in order to interact with the card, select options, etc. There are also a number of PDF's to download, too. You can interact with the card wirelessly, presuming you can get a connection, or a card reader, much better.

The app will show you the JPEG images in the camera, then you can choose what to download. But then to upload to your cloud service, you need to revert to a different wifi access point.

01-27-2016, 05:12 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Developing for an iPhone or Lumia, you don't have to take into account all the variants that Android comes in. Forking's a b!tch. :-)
01-28-2016, 06:28 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Developing for an iPhone or Lumia, you don't have to take into account all the variants that Android comes in. Forking's a b!tch. :-)
I understand what you are saying, but don't most Android apps work across the versions and lines pretty well? It's not like the Image Sync is loaded with options, features, etc.
01-28-2016, 04:56 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulvzo Quote
I understand what you are saying, but don't most Android apps work across the versions and lines pretty well? It's not like the Image Sync is loaded with options, features, etc.
It's a minefield. You've got different software versions, and most are not updated on old phones, and so many hardware variants ... small screens, large screens, tablets.

I put a custom ROM on a phone once and immediately lost the ability to use its radio tuner.

Apple and M$ have control over their OS that Google simply don't have - look what Amazon did with their Fire devices!

Last edited by clackers; 01-28-2016 at 05:03 PM.
01-28-2016, 07:25 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
It's a minefield. You've got different software versions, and most are not updated on old phones, and so many hardware variants ... small screens, large screens, tablets.

I put a custom ROM on a phone once and immediately lost the ability to use its radio tuner.

Apple and M$ have control over their OS that Google simply don't have - look what Amazon did with their Fire devices!
No argument from me. Apple has insisted on total control, including making of hardware. Microsoft has taken the tack of having things work on as many machines as possible, and with great success. I've read the Jobs biography, watched videos of Jobs and Gates talking about their differing viewpoints. Ya know what? Both are valid.

And then Adroid blows out to so many variables, as you say. I think.

Regardless of anything else, I can't afford Apple products. And as a hand on kinda guy, don't tell me I can't look under the hood!

While everyone likes to pile on MS, and they certainly have many faux pas, they probably have the most integrated systems at a price for average Joe's. Windows 10 sets new standards for inter-device compatibility.

Sorry, didn't mean to proselytize or go all fan boy.
01-28-2016, 08:08 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I've read the Jobs biography

If you mean the Walter Isaacson one, Paul, it was a real eye-opener!
01-29-2016, 06:46 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
If you mean the Walter Isaacson one, Paul, it was a real eye-opener!
Yes, the Isaacson bio. Fascinating. As he went through the chronology of computer technology, it was a nice walk down memory lane. I was a geek before we used the term.

I gained a lot of new respect for Jobs, such as his concept of breaking the music industry down to selling individual songs.

I've always appreciated his sense of esthetics.

Although not touched on much in the book was the taking of Xerox's GUI interface, the theft of open source OS and programs and making them his. Linux/BSD to OS, Webkit to Safari.

Learned he also stole ideas from his employees after calling them s**t.

And, finally, probably a first class psycho in human relationships and diet. Probably fit several entries in the DSM.

01-29-2016, 04:21 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

And, finally, probably a first class psycho in human relationships and diet. Probably fit several entries in the DSM.
Yeah, the attitudes to charity were surprising.

Wherever Bill Gates is on the autism spectrum, at least he has a strong sense of noblesse oblige.