Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2016, 03:16 PM   #1
Forum Member

What Else Should be Purchased with a Camera

I'm setting up my budget for buying a K-S2, what else should be purchased with the camera purchase? What type of SD card? I do have a camera bag.

01-30-2016, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

PhotoHeron, nice choice of camera there, I hope it brings you many hours of enjoyment. As for what else you should buy, I guess you'll get lots of different answers depending on what people think, but I would suggest you get used to the camera, work out what you like taking images of, then tailor your shopping list accordingly.

With one SD card and one battery you limit the time and number of images you can take in one go before you have to recharge and download, so spares of both would be useful (small capacity SD cards are cheap these days, you may need to change more often when they fill up but so what!)

A good cleaning kit is probably essential before any other gadgets, look after what you've got and it will last (and give better images, dust and hair on the lens spoils even the best photographers images).

After that it's down to what you want to do. More lenses will depend on what you want to take images of (depending on what comes with the camera you may have enough to be going on with), a tripod is useful, and after that the world is your oyster!
01-30-2016, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, lenses!
01-30-2016, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #4
mee
Veteran Member

Welcome to the sickness...

Lets see... for starters a lenspen, microfiber cloths, rocket air blower, camera strap (the stock one is poor for the neck), camera bag(s), multiple SD cards, lenses, tripod with a quick release plate, filters (neutral density and polarizer), camera flash, wireless flash triggers, computer photography software (lightroom or the sort), flash diffusers/light modifiers, the personality to make mistakes and be ok with learning from them, and a lot of free time to make said mistakes.

well.. not all at once. But if you really get into photography, you're bound to get most of these things. I'd say right now get a rocket blower and some processing software. Then learn the camera's basic settings (the semi-manual modes such as Av, Sv, and Tv) and how shutter speed and ISO affect the exposure of your images.

01-30-2016, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At least two SD cards of at least 16GB capacity (more if you plan to do a lot of shooting in raw or raw+), a good lens cleaning cloth, and a spare battery. Which sort of SD card is best to get is a contentious issue, but try to find out the buffer write speed of your camera and buy cards that will accept data faster than your camera can shove it across. Then at least you know you've eliminated one bottleneck.

Of course if you're doing video with your DSLR, that will make it even more memory-hungry; don't buy anything smaller than 32GB in that case.

As far as lenses go, there are plenty of package deals that will send you out the door with the 18-55 or new 18-50 DA WR lens plus a 50-200 WR zoom as well. Not to be sneezed at, even if they aren't the upmarket version with metal mount and quickshift focus. I don't know if they're offering the 18-135 WR zoom as a kit option, but that's a good one-lens solution for a beginning Pentax DSLR shooter which is not to be sneezed at either. A while ago they were sending the significantly more upmarket K-3 out the door with a 50mm prime, which is a damn good lens optically and will certainly get you started shooting (the camera is no more than an expensive paperweight otherwise), but is admittedly somewhat more restrictive in terms of what it can do (or at least it demands more of the shooter).

What the others have said makes good sense, in terms of the things you will eventually own. But the spare battery and two SD cards are a pretty good start for "things I must walk out of the store with along with my camera and lens(es)".
01-30-2016, 05:22 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

One of These!! A two-yr extended warranty for $18 is an easy decision. Heck most of us here paid $20 for it!

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 01-30-2016 at 06:00 PM.
01-30-2016, 06:26 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PhotoHeron Quote
I'm setting up my budget for buying a K-S2, what else should be purchased with the camera purchase? What type of SD card? I do have a camera bag.
Your shopping list should be dependent upon what kind of shooting you want to do. You always have lenses, tripods, spare batteries and all kinds of things.

My suggestion is...since I don't know your level or interest in photography....to keep it simple at first until you develop preferred tastes for things. Do you like landscapes or portraits or whatever... basically figure out what floats your boat.

But if I had to recommend one thing it would be a lens pen and a sensor clean pen. Some people might recommend against the latter but I personally have had great results and no problems with cleaning my own sensor.

The lens pen though is a must. Inevitably you will wind up needing to clean the lens off and using the old corner of the tshirt method is not the best option.

01-30-2016, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #8
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think you need to see what you need--and then get it. But absolutely essential (IMO):
-- sd card
-- spare battery
-- lens cleaning micro cloth
-- large Giotto air jet (you will get dust on the sensor)
-- usb sd card reader
01-31-2016, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
I think you need to see what you need--and then get it. But absolutely essential (IMO):
-- sd card
-- spare battery
-- lens cleaning micro cloth
-- large Giotto air jet (you will get dust on the sensor)
-- usb sd card reader
The last is a good point. I always forget this one because my laptop has an SD card slot, but not all do.
01-31-2016, 07:45 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your valuable info.
02-01-2016, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Welcome to the sickness...
I blurted a Ha! out so loud and involuntarily, everyone turned and looked. A major funny...............because it is so true. And always has been.

---------- Post added 02-01-16 at 08:07 PM ----------

I got an extra battery with mine from B&H for $11. If you don't use Live View much, it's of amazing capacity. OTOH, if you do............. Actually, still pretty good.

Large capacity SD cards are cheap. I'm using basic Class 10, and as the review of the K-S2 shows, there's no reason to buy the very expensive U class cards. The performance difference is negligible. It seems to me that presently 32GB cards are at the price sweet point. Smaller and larger cards cost more per GB. YMMV. I got a Toshiba FlashAir 32GB wifi card for under $30. Why? The built in wifi and Image Sync is a crap shoot, and my shoot crapped. Not working with my Android.

A good strap. Got some nice ones on eBay for under $4. I have no tolerance for the classic camera strap body attachment wherein it essentially becomes permanent. I have, for decades, threaded one of those split steel key rings through the camera's slot and then affixed whatever strap to that. Some of my straps have clip ends, so that's direct. I got some small spring clip on two ends hooks at Lowe's for $5 for use with conventional straps. There are many situations I don't want a strap, so this solves that.

But the most important accessory is.......................you. Your eyes, your brain, your expertise with your camera. Boy, so many mile to go on that latter criteria!
02-01-2016, 08:17 PM   #12
mee
Veteran Member

Yes, when I started I thought I'd keep it tidy and simple.. 1 Camera body, 1 kit lens, 1 flash, and a macro lens. Great. Then came the lens pen and the rocket blower. After that I needed a tripod, but I got a cheap one trying to keep prices down. It was rather flimsy. So I upgraded to a much nicer 3 section Vanguard.

Uh oh. Airshow was coming up. Kit lens wouldn't do. Time to buy a longer lens. 18-200mm walkaround.

After the airshow the lens was ok.. but 200mm was kind of short. I wanted at least 300mm. Hello 55-300 WR.

Between that I decided I really could use faster burst rate (among other points) so I got a newer camera body that came with the 18-135 WR. The plan was to sell the lens to make up for the cost of the body. The lens turned out to be so nice that I kept it.

Then there were the 35mm and 50mm primes. And a couple vintage M series primes. And several photo softwares and plugins. And several flashes. And light stands. AND WHY NOT a backdrop stand/support. And oh the primes are so fast. NEED faster standard zoom lenses.. hello 16-50mm and why not a 50-135 too.. YES GREAT... and you need a backup camera body just in case.. and various bags.. and various holders.. and etc etc But this is over 5+ years now.

So I 'speak' out of experience... If you really get into photography, over time you may notice a drive to really desiring better tools, PhotoHeron. Watch out!