Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2016, 05:47 AM   #1
Forum Member

Handling K-S2

I read the reveiw of the K-S2 that was posted in the reveiw section. The major issue that was emphasised, was the poor hand grip. Which made it difficult to hold.

Opinions from users how do you like/dislike the hand grip, does it make it difficult to hold?

02-11-2016, 05:57 AM - 4 Likes   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's nonsense. I'm 6'3", with big hands, and the grip is just fine - both deep and positive.

If you want to make it work you'll find a way. Haters will not.
02-11-2016, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
It's nonsense...
...the grip is just fine - both deep and positive.
+1

and I repeat - it's nonsense
02-11-2016, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

It's nonsense. I'm 6'3", with big hands, and the grip is just fine - both deep and positive.
Sandy can crush man's skull like sparrow egg between his thighs.

I'm just a regular-sized human, and I think the review (unfairly?) compares the K-S2 to the K-3 as far as ergonomics. The K-3 has probably the best grip of any digital Pentax, but it's heavier, bulkier, and lacks many of the features that make the K-S2 pretty compelling.

The K-50 had a smoother, more rounded grip, but the S2 is still nicely sculpted for real hands. Plus, if you have enough lens weight on the front of the camera to strain your right hand while holding the K-S2, then your left hand should be under that lens...

02-11-2016, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
ditto this, except I've shrunk to 6'2" in my older age, and my hands are more medium/large.
I had a K-5 prior to getting the K-S2 and the grip on the newer camera took no time at all getting use to.
Nice smaller package too especially with the DA 40 attached:

02-11-2016, 12:08 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for clearing that issue up for me.
05-31-2016, 03:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I hope nobody minds me waking up this old(ish) thread, but I had to make some observations on this subject.

From the review:

QuoteQuote:
Current Pentax owners have been spoiled by over-sized, super-comfortable grips on cameras like the K-50 (good), K-5 II (better), and K-3 (best). It is clear that the K-S2 has also been designed with handling in mind, but it seems that Pentax engineers prioritized users with small hands for this particular model. The K-S2's grip is much smaller than that of the K-50, which means that for the average user, it will be harder to hold, especially with heavier lenses.
The assumption that bigger is better, and that an "over-sized" grip is the best (not to mention "super-comfortable"!!), is completely bonkers to me. I've seen this attitude in a lot of camera reviews, and it always leaves me scratching my head. Whenever I read any camera review that complains about an undersized grip and says that an accessory grip is a must-have item, that's a flag to me that I'll probably like the standard grip on it. And please keep in mind, I am a guy with full-sized guy hands and long-ish fingers.

When I picked up my K-S2 for the first time, my immediate reaction was: Holy smoke, what huge grip! It feels like a brick in my hand. It feels like I'm having to stretch out my fingers around this thing to try and reach the controls. I wasn't sure I could get used to such a fat grip. It's way, way bigger than the grip on any of my 35mm SLRs, or my Olympus OM-D, or the K-01, or (of course) the Q7.

And the lesson is: It all depends on what you're used to!

Since then I've been getting used to the (relatively) fat, chunky, hand-filling grip of the K-S2 and gradually learning to like it. Human hands are highly versatile and adaptable instruments.
05-31-2016, 11:19 PM   #8
Forum Member

Tony, I agree - and there is no problem for me when switching between a K-5 and K-S2. Those cameras, and the K-3, have the mass to balance well when using small to medium lenses. And in any case it should be a non-issue for most people who hold a camera properly, i.e. right hand on the grip and left hand under the body and lens. It makes you wonder how those people with small APS-C mirrorless cameras cope with having regularly to pick up their kit off the floor.

Last edited by MrB1; 05-31-2016 at 11:27 PM.
06-03-2016, 08:36 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

If you want to make it work you'll find a way. Haters will not.
Heya Sandy!

What kind of battery life do ya get from your K-S2?

Eric
06-03-2016, 09:35 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Auer Quote
What kind of battery life do ya get from your K-S2?
I must confess I never pay much attention to it, as I always have at least one fully charged spare battery in my camera bag.
The last all-day music festival I shot I used it pretty heavily (probably 600+ shots) with no problem.
06-04-2016, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #11
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I almost didn't get the KS2 because of the review comments about the grip since that was one of the biggest things I was trying to improve moving up from the small K2000/Km... Boy am I glad I found this thread and decided to take a chance on the KS2... No problem!

I'm 6'4" with big hands but have no problem with one handed operation with the KS2 ...

I also love the grip on my K50 and while they are different I switch easily between the two as the layout of controls is close to the same.
06-06-2016, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PhotoHeron Quote
I read the reveiw of the K-S2 that was posted in the reveiw section. The major issue that was emphasised, was the poor hand grip. Which made it difficult to hold.

Opinions from users how do you like/dislike the hand grip, does it make it difficult to hold?
I wouldn't have thought anything of the grip till you mentioned it - and it seems fine to me.
06-06-2016, 06:46 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-S2's grip is fine, but it doesn't spoil you as much as say the grip on the K-50. And since the K-S2 is heavier, this leads to less comfort in practice, but it's still OK. The K-S1, on the other hand, is another story.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-05-2016, 06:15 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter

IM a new compared to some of you guys and this is my first DSLR so can't really compare it to other models like some of you do. But the grip for me is spot on and I don't feel any fatigued or like Im going to loose the camera at all. I have fairly normal hands I guess you could say. Im very pleased with my buying decision haven't had any regrets at all with the KS2. Learning a lot as I go and even bought my first lens on Ebay this weekend =) the lens review section of the forums is awesome. Cant thank this site enough for what it has taught me already
07-11-2016, 05:51 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SHTF Quote
s I go and even bought my first lens on Ebay this weekend =) the lens review section of the forums is awesome.
Be carefull with lens buying....... so easy for it to get out of control!