Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2016, 05:23 PM   #1

K-S2 settings for manual HDR

I received my spiffy new K-S2 body in the mail today, and am feeling really stupid at the moment. I typically shoot manual HDR images as a burst of 3 bracketed images (push down the shutter button and my old K20 and K30's rattle off 3 quick bracketed shots.) When I set up my S2 the same way, it takes 3 images, but saves each image to the SDcard before grabbing another shot (3 times - SLOW.) What am I doing wrong in the setup/menus?
Thank you so much for your time and expertise!

03-02-2016, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #2

Original Poster
Update:

After a full afternoon and evening working on this, I'm still at a standstill. I'm trying to save my Manual HDR setting to the USER1 dial. I've done this successfully with my last 3 Pentax DSLR bodies, dating back 10 years. I can sometimes get it to work (fire 3 very fast bracketed exposures) either on the Av or USER1 dial, but when I go back to try another shot, I get the 3 shots in a row, but I also get the "data being processed" message (and the 2 or 3 second pause) in between those 3 shots. No good for manual HDR. This is maddening. I DID upgrade the firmware from 1.0 to 1.11. I am a seasoned professional photographer, and a seasoned Pentax DSLR user.
I'm sure it's just some subtle change in some menu on the K-S2 that's causing me this problem. Could someone please give me a hand?

Blessings,
Robert

---------- Post added 03-02-16 at 09:31 PM ----------

Well, one last update (hopefully it might help someone else who finds themselves in my shoes.)

It appears that turning ON the "Clarity Enhancement" causes this 2-3 second delay in saving images. When I turn it off - boom boom boom - a fast burst of 3 in a row bracketed shots (which is exactly what I need for manual HDR.) And there was no "clarity enhancement" setting in any of my previous Pentax DSLR bodies prior to this K-S2.
I'll re-test tomorrow when there's light outside, but it appears that the mystery may have been solved.
03-02-2016, 11:38 PM   #3

I don't own a ks-2. After reading your update I remembered reading something about enhanced clarity setting and added processing time in the review. In Pentax K-S2 Review - Performance & Burst Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews is a table on the times.

light...
03-12-2016, 01:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuvalu Quote
I don't own a ks-2. After reading your update I remembered reading something about enhanced clarity setting and added processing time in the review. In Pentax K-S2 Review - Performance & Burst Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews is a table on the times.

light...
I confirm - clarity enhancement adds processing time. Besides that, my K-S2 behaves in pretty strange way when I try to combine bracketing and 2 sec self-timer - instead of countdown followed by three shots, I've got countdown before each shot. Have you observed such behaviour in your K-S2?