Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-06-2016, 11:19 AM   #16
ase

Well, I am sorry it is 531 USD that means 480 EUR, not USD.

07-07-2016, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ase Quote
I resume this thread because I have a question....I am in the process of buying a (barely) used K50 with 18-55 WR lens (kit) for about 300€ (330$). Point is, next week I am in the US and actually I could get a brand new KS2 for 531$ (480$) from B&H. Now I am torn...big save on K50 or stretch my budget and go for a new KS2. Still I have to check if Warranty is international, though. That might be an hurdle.
Thoughts?
I actually bought both of these, for about the same prices (but new K-50 wo lens). They are both great cameras, but the swing-out viewfinder on the KS-2 can be amazingly useful. It will NOT be important if your style is mostly hand-held with the camera in front of you or up to your eye. But if you work from a tripod, you can swing the finder out to a conveniently-viewable position. Without contortion, you can use live view to compose and critically focus before shots, and afterwards, its much easier to zoom in to critically inspect your results. Off-tripod, the viewfinder lets you compose conveniently when you want the camera near the ground, pointing upward at some angle, or in some odd position for whatever reason. And the KS-2 is much more selfie-friendly, not just because of the viewfinder, but it even has a button arrangement for that purpose.

Photographically, the main weakness of both of these is a limited buffer for burst shooting, so the K3 is something to consider if that's very important. I do use the KS-2 in burst mode routinely, just have to remember to take a few at a time; but even the K-50 is noticably better.

Holding the cameras, I find the feel to be nearly identical, despite the more planar body features of the KS-2 (I prefer the K-50 body aesthetic), and despite the different thumb rests. I find the LED's on the KS-2 (restrained from the KS-1 light show) to be helpful. One other difference is that the back AF button is right under your thumb tip on the KS-2, making it much quicker to operate in for back-button focus (with the aperture button focus disabled) than on the K-50. And the sensor on the KS-2 (wo anti-aliasing filter) is more advanced, although you'll need sharp lenses and near-perfect technique to see this difference.

If you get the K-50, you may find you wished you'd spent the extra money for the tilt out screen; that's what happened to me. I'd be thinking very hard if I were you: the viewfinder may not matter to you and the K-50 deal is great. .
07-07-2016, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #18

If you can stretch your budget, why not wait for the k-70. It combines the 24mpix 14-bit raws and Pixel-shift technology of the k3-ii with the wifi, tiltscreen, and on board flash of the k-s2. Its the first pentax camera with hybrid AF (on-sensor phase and contrast detect AF) which may be useful if you frequently shoot video or in live view. Comes in cool silver/black finish too. Its $900 with the very useful 18-135mm kit lens.

Last edited by AtitG; 07-07-2016 at 08:17 PM.
07-17-2016, 08:27 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
If you can stretch your budget, why not wait for the k-70.
I second this: the K-70 is so far the best in the series. But just released and $650 body only. I'd watch reviews to see how the AF performs, think about pixel shift, and think about how long it will take you to forget the price

07-17-2016, 08:53 PM   #20
Forum Member

i love my k50. i never really liked the look of the ks1 or ks2 (or k30) though its just a personal thing i guess. i was planning on getting the k70 but went for a 2nd hand k3 instead as an upgrade (as well as a k1).

are there grips available for the k70 or ks2? that was one factor making me go for the k3. i always used to burn through more than one battery in a photoshoot with the k50. now i'm using the k1 with k3 as backup with a different focal length lens on and my old k10d as backup (which i still love apart from the slower auto focus which isnt really a big deal for glamour/portrait studio work anyway)

edit: only not using my k50 any more as i'm lending it to someone who wants to learn photography, along with the kit 18-55, da35 and da50
07-17-2016, 08:56 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-70?
07-19-2016, 08:56 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
i love my k50. i never really liked the look of the ks1 or ks2 (or k30) though its just a personal thing i guess. i was planning on getting the k70 but went for a 2nd hand k3 instead as an upgrade (as well as a k1).

are there grips available for the k70 or ks2? that was one factor making me go for the k3. i always used to burn through more than one battery in a photoshoot with the k50. now i'm using the k1 with k3 as backup with a different focal length lens on and my old k10d as backup (which i still love apart from the slower auto focus which isnt really a big deal for glamour/portrait studio work anyway)
I have to agree about looks; alongside the K-50's integrated sculpture, there's something a bit Frankensteinish about the K-S bodies (though I exclude from criticism the LED's on the KS-2, which I find well-considered and functional). The K-70 looks a bit better, but we'll see.

Grip availability divides the "entry level" from the "flagship" models. Grips do ease vertical shooting, and do extend photo time. OTH, a feature common to the "entry level" K-S1,2 and K-30,50,70, is the absence of an adjustment wheel left of the pentaprism; this affords a size reduction that a grip would compromise. Not that ANY Pentax cameras are large, but these entry level guys are small enough to compete with M43. They're suitable for inconspicuous street shooting, especially with compact Pentax lenses, such as the vintage M series or the modern Limiteds. A 15mm Limited on a K-50 only attracts casual attention. And the lens is wide enough so you can shoot straight down a street and catch people as they pass by on the side, without their realizing it. (I'm having such a hard time embracing my inner Bruce Gilden).

07-20-2016, 09:28 AM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eyeball Quote
Not that ANY Pentax cameras are large, but these entry level guys are small enough to compete with M43. They're suitable for inconspicuous street shooting, especially with compact Pentax lenses, such as the vintage M series or the modern Limiteds. A 15mm Limited on a K-50 only attracts casual attention. And the lens is wide enough so you can shoot straight down a street and catch people as they pass by on the side, without their realizing it. (I'm having such a hard time embracing my inner Bruce Gilden).
true i took my k50 with the sigma 17-50 to an event a few weeks ago and the other chap i was with was using a 5dmk2 and was amazed at how light the k50 was.

had to google who bruce gilden was ive never tried street type photography. might be fun sometime but i've got used to relying on having speedlights or strobes around to get the image how i want it...
07-20-2016, 11:29 AM   #24
ase

pulled the trigger for a new k50, with kit lens. I have got 4 years warranty, so I am safe for a while in case I get this aperture lock problem or other problems. If it breaks after 4+ years I would likely look for a k70, which should be far cheaper than now.
07-20-2016, 12:32 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I really like the articulating screen on the KS-2. Combined with focus peaking it's great for over the head or down low shots. It seems durable. I take it mountain biking and skiing with that 18-135 and it's held up well so far. I like how this sensor renders too.
08-13-2016, 09:51 AM   #26

Wow 4 years warranty. I wish we have those here.
01-21-2017, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With a high-quality lens, the K-S2 will deliver sharper images than the K-50 due to its not having an AA filter, but also has a switchable filter in case a particular scene presents a moire problem, which is rare. It also has other more advanced features and adjustments, such as a level indicator, level compensation, clarity enhancement, advanced HDR, to name a few. In any case, whatever level you have your sharpening set, I'd recommend having it on "fine" sharpening for best results out of the camera.