Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2016, 01:10 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
ok. I put it in P-TTL and the flash zoomed and the settings changed and the flash zoomed to 35mm ( I wondered why it didn't zoom before). The settings for the shot also changed to 1/60 F4.5 ISO 1600 but I still got a good exposure even tho I think it was better in A. I cannot get the overexposure the OP gets leading me to think there is no info between camera and flash except when to fire which is probably a different pin. I have firmware 1.10 and since I do not get the problem I don't think its a firmware problem.

This is the first time I have had my flash on camera since the first month I had my first flash in about 2005. First time ever on my K-s2. I have to go manual because my other flashes are sb28s and are much more reliable with my remote triggers. I only use my AF-360FGZ if I need more than 2 flashes and then I put it in slave because it is more reliable than with a receiver.

03-24-2016, 02:23 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Good to hear it seems to be working OK for you .... ISO 1600 is rather high really, and I'd only want to be using that for flash if I was bouncing off dull surfaces and really needed extra 'reach' and power from the flash exposure. At high ISO settings it can be very easy to exceed the minimum distance limitations for good exposure, for the chosen aperture, so overexposure at high ISOs is not always unexpected.

As you realise I think, you can't use P-TTL wireless with your camera and only one flash .... you need two P-TTL wireless compatible flashes for that (one on the camera as 'Master / Controller', one off as 'Slave'). I think you're right that the best answer is the SL2 ('dumb slave') mode triggered optically from another flash.
03-24-2016, 02:58 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was used to my k100d before the K-s2 so its no different for me than before. I still have my PT-04 remote system and I am not going Joe McNally with TTL. The only problem I have is when the flash is to close to the camera and it will just go off on its own. It is still not much of a problem unless the recharge isn't ready when the shutter clicks but I am usually at less than 1/4 power so its rare.

Hope the op checks the pins on hot shoe and flash for damage and cleans them. Would like to hear if that is the problem. My ISO was high but still exposed correct.

Out of curiosity I just took more pics pointing around my room and had stable ISO 800 on several shots. I switched to TAv mode and upped the shutter to 1/125 and F6.7 and my ISO varied from 280 to 1100. I didn't know it could do 280 or 1100. interesting.
03-26-2016, 02:05 PM   #19

Original Poster
I'm writing this for the third time, I will not be bothered to do it again. Auto-logout does this to me.

I want the automation to help me when I do not have time to do things manually, and I do not want to be surprised by it, as it is the case here (why auto-ISO works with internal, but not external flash?).

Pentax got the example pictures they requested, I hope to hear from them next week.

Happy Easter,

M.W.

04-17-2016, 08:35 AM   #20
phs
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K-s2 and interested in getting a Metz. Do I understand correctly that you are getting correct P-TTL exposures with the Metz when you fix the ISO? Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by antymat Quote
I'm writing this for the third time, I will not be bothered to do it again. Auto-logout does this to me.

I want the automation to help me when I do not have time to do things manually, and I do not want to be surprised by it, as it is the case here (why auto-ISO works with internal, but not external flash?).

Pentax got the example pictures they requested, I hope to hear from them next week.

Happy Easter,

M.W.
10-21-2016, 08:26 AM   #21
phs
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I received my Metz 52 af-1 (used) from eBay today. Using Pentax K-S2 (firmware 1.2) / Metz 52 af-1 (firmware 1.1), direct flash was good, bounce overexposed by a lot. Upgraded the Metz to firmware 1.3 and everything's good. I'm a very happy Metz user.

UPDATE: Metz with firmware 1.3 on K-S2 still overexposes. But once you get the flash EV compensation right (usually -2 1/3), exposure is consistent.

Last edited by phs; 10-26-2016 at 04:03 PM.
10-25-2016, 10:05 PM   #22

Original Poster
Funnily enough K-S2 overexposes with their own AF201FG, too.
The last reply from Pentax after half a year of "thinking" is "if automation does not work, use the manual mode". Their customer service sucks like hell.
10-26-2016, 03:37 PM   #23
Pentaxian

It's important to take firm control of things when using flash, so Manual camera mode is a good choice. If choosing some automation then it's important to understand how to 'work with' the system, know it's limitations, and carefully consider the working distances you are using, in relation to the flash power available (GN), the ISO and apertures.

10-30-2016, 11:07 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
It's important to take firm control of things when using flash, so Manual camera mode is a good choice. If choosing some automation then it's important to understand how to 'work with' the system, know it's limitations, and carefully consider the working distances you are using, in relation to the flash power available (GN), the ISO and apertures.
In the photo studio - sure. During scheduled photo session - sure. Then I can consider ambient light, distances, GN, aperture, ISO, humidity, weekday and moon phase to boot. But not on a trip, in a hurry - then I want to take the picture. It might not be perfect, it might be less than stunning, but it shouldn't be completely blotched, either. For this the automation has to work. And, funnily enough - it does! On K-3II, on D5200, on D5300, just not on K-S2.

So, yes, on K-S2 there is a "limitation": the automation does not work. It would be nice Pentax put it in the User's Manual, at least.
11-01-2016, 12:26 AM   #25

Original Poster
So yes, Pentax has admitted the auto-iso in P-ttl mode does not work in K-S2, they've finally stopped beating about the bush.
However unwelcome, this is a reasonable statement; pity that it took them half a year to figure that out.
Still a mystery to me, why it works in K-3II, but not in K-S2. Oh, well... K-S2 will be the first to sell.
11-22-2016, 12:04 PM   #26

Original Poster
Last update. Won't fix.

The whole issue has been circling around, and via the US Ricoh branch, went through Europe to Japan, and this is what I've got from them, directly from the horse's mouth:

"After additional testing with our engineers in Japan the result is the K-S2 is operating as expected with the external flash in bounce mode. [...] In the situation where the area is very dark and the flash is set on bounce mode the photo sensor on the K-S2 is overwhelmed when the flash is fired causing the image to be overexposed."

That concludes the whole saga of "WTF, why doesn't it work"; maybe not to my satisfaction, but at least now I have a clear picture. Even if overexposed .

Happy pentaxing to you all,
M.
11-22-2016, 11:34 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Ha, the horses mouth doesn't speak much sense then! I'm glad you finally got something out of them, lets hope it leads to some refinements and developments of the flash performance with that model down the line. The main flash-related complaint I read from owners of the 'low/mid' range models is the lack of wireless flash capability from the built-in flash unit, which arguably is a feature well suited to the target market of those cameras.
01-09-2017, 12:40 AM   #28

In the photo studio - sure. During scheduled photo session - sure. Then I can consider ambient light, distances, GN, aperture, ISO, humidity, weekday and moon phase to boot. But not on a trip, in a hurry - then I want to take the picture. It might not be perfect, it might be less than stunning, but it shouldn't be completely blotched, either. For this the automation has to work. And, funnily enough - it does! On K-3II, on D5200, on D5300, just not on K-S2.

So, yes, on K-S2 there is a "limitation": the automation does not work. It would be nice Pentax put it in the User's Manual, at least.
I am a new owner of a K-S2 and just purchased a Metz 44 AF-1 after finding the on-camera flash to be a bit harsh from not being able to bounce it. After reading these posts, I am now wondering if I made a big mistake with the Metz and K-S2. Similar to what the original poster noted above, I am going to use this on hikes, vacations, and informal photos of the family. I was hoping to rely on the automated aspect of the flash on the hot shoe with regards to exposure. Any chance it has been addressed with the latest firmware update for the K-S2? Should I simply use the Metz as a manual flash? FYI, I am also a brand new member of Pentax Forums and very much a beginner to photography, so your advice would be much appreciated!
01-10-2017, 05:56 AM   #29

Original Poster
As I stated in my last post - the K-S2 cannot set automatic ISO in bounce flash mode independent of the external flash used. The official Pentax message was: it is a hardware limitation that cannot be fixed in software.

The K-3II does not have this problem; I guess K-3 would also work, as it has the same light meter.

Last edited by antymat; 01-11-2017 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Spelling
01-10-2017, 07:26 PM   #30

As I stated in my last post - the K-S2 cannot set automatic ISO in bounce flash mode independent of the external flash used. The official Pentax message was: it is a hardware limitation that cannot be fixed in software.

The K-3II does not have this problem; I guess K-3 would also work, as it has the same light meeter.
Thank you, after reading your last post again, I now see your reference to the hardware (sensor), which would presumably render a firmware update a moot point. That being said, with your adjusted expectations, are you reasonably satisfied with your Metz 44 AF-1 and Pentax AF201FG on the K-S2? I am looking at both of those to provide some fill-in flash in a variety of settings (yet simple enough for a beginner like me) for my own K-S2.