Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2016, 06:55 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Couple of questions about k-s2

I'm shopping for a replacement body for my k30, and have a couple questions about the ks2.

First, how is the screen outdoors? It's typically sunny out here in NM, and my k30 has to be cranked up exceedingly bright, which make it otherwise disturbing. I'm hoping with the articulating screen the ks2 will at least be usable in sunlight. What are your experiences?

Second, the review mentioned that the ks2 may be unbalanced with heavier lenses. The heaviest lens I have is the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8. Has anyone shot with this lense and cares to comment?

03-28-2016, 11:11 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vmax911 Quote
First, how is the screen outdoors? It's typically sunny out here in NM, and my k30 has to be cranked up exceedingly bright, which make it otherwise disturbing. I'm hoping with the articulating screen the ks2 will at least be usable in sunlight. What are your experiences?
The screen has a different coating than the K-30's, and I've found it to be easier to see. Plus, the fact that it can be tilted helps a lot.

Second, the review mentioned that the ks2 may be unbalanced with heavier lenses. The heaviest lens I have is the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8. Has anyone shot with this lense and cares to comment?
I wouldn't consider the 28-75mm a "heavier" lens, so you should be fine with it. The K-30's grip is a bit deeper, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-29-2016, 12:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I use the K-S2 with a Tammy 70-200 F2.8 and have no problems with it. I have a tripod mount on the lens and when using handheld I use that to balance & hold the combo.
03-29-2016, 04:11 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Correctly holding a camera (from underneath, elbow down not sideways) will mean you have no problem, Vmax.

I use a 150-500 'Bigmos' handheld with an even smaller camera - the K-S1.

Last edited by clackers; 03-29-2016 at 06:19 PM.
03-29-2016, 05:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I have had no problem with the DA*50-135 and DA*300 on my K-S2. As clackers points out, holding the gear correctly helps.

And Adam is right about the screen. It's definitely easier to use in daylight than my K-01 was, and my Q7 is.
03-29-2016, 07:47 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Excellent, thanks for the comments. Guess now I just have to pick a color!
03-30-2016, 01:38 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I tried to use the live view today with f3.5 1/1000 and it was hard to see the screen. I didn't have it turned up tho. It increases 7 levels higher. I guess at 1/3 ev per time?
04-03-2016, 09:44 AM   #8
Forum Member

I'm shopping for a replacement body for my k30, and have a couple questions about the ks2.

The LCD is slightly better readable in sunshine than the screen on K50. As somebody mentioned, you can also tilt the screen for better reading.

I do have bunch of "heavier" lenses, but the light and retractable 18-50 kit lens is just great with this camera for the right size and weight combination. BTW, the 18-50 kit lens is very good and sharp when focused in Live View mode or if you "AF fine adjust" the focusing for normal viewfinder use. I had to go all the way up to +10 with my copy of this lens. I am using as well the "plastic fantastic" 35 and 50mm lenses and they are excellent match for the S2.

04-11-2016, 03:19 PM   #9

Re the screen, we're just back from Vietnam - much more sunshine/bright light there than here in the UK. Though I usually use the viewfinder I used the screen a few times and it was plenty bright enough on its middle setting. In the UK I have the screen on -1 from the middle setting.

My heaviest and largest lens is the Pentax 80-320. It's fine, I hold the lens in my fingers with the palm of my hand under the camera.