Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2016, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
Interesting and useful article on 12 bit bs 14 bit posted on Facebook in the Pentaxians group. Though I thought it was funny when he said, "If anyone is picky about file quality, it's us landscape geeks." For me, shooting wildlife makes you a LOT pickier. So much cropping!

https://photographylife.com/14-bit-vs-12-bit-raw

Awesome article! Thanks for sharing.

04-06-2016, 10:16 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I chose the KS2 over the K3 for this very reason. I don't use it for every shot, but when I do, I'm really glad I have the flippy screen. Click buy already. If you can afford it, it's a fun camera.

As low as it gets:
Kozlok,
I like the PP on this one, would you mind to to share your secret? Thank you.
04-07-2016, 05:07 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

I went from the K50 to the K3 but when I got a GX7 I found out how much I like being able to tilt the screen. At a glance I can only tell you if the shot was K50 vs. K3 due to the timeframe and on knowledge of which was used. Yes pixel peeping can show differences but 12bit vs. 14bit and 16mp vs. 24mp is hard to spot on the fly. There are those who swear the KS2 sensor is better than the K3 sensor and have detailed shots and stats to show why. Personally I think the minute differences aren't worth worrying over.

The big losses for KS2 vs. K3 from my perspective are:
Dual SD card slots
In camera PTTL master flash built in.
Battery Grip capable (not a big deal for me)

None of these impact images - just simplicity and ease of use.
04-07-2016, 06:07 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
Interesting and useful article on 12 bit bs 14 bit posted on Facebook in the Pentaxians group. Though I thought it was funny when he said, "If anyone is picky about file quality, it's us landscape geeks." For me, shooting wildlife makes you a LOT pickier. So much cropping!

https://photographylife.com/14-bit-vs-12-bit-raw
I've posted the same thing about 12 bit and 14 bit, but I don't have as many images. And I once read an article from some optics guy at the University of Chicago, who had a long technical explanation that I didn't understand as to why there is no difference in IQ between 12 and 14 bit, on APS-c or 36x24 images. As far as I can tell, it's a marketing ploy.

04-07-2016, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Kozlok,
I like the PP on this one, would you mind to to share your secret? Thank you.
No secret. The DA10-17 generally just takes amazing photos. The contrast is off the charts! I shot in RAW, put it in light room. +0.97 Exposure, +17 Contrast, -48 Highlights +24 shadows, +29 whites, -21 blacks, then just straightened and cropped just a smidge for composition (I had just about 20% more grass in the photo, like this balance better).

All other settings are flat. No saturation, no split toning. AWB (from the camera, not LR). No lens correction.

Oh, and at the balloon park, the altitude is around 4500 feet, so less air between us and space makes the sky darker blue. No humidity, either, and a clear October morning.
04-07-2016, 10:07 PM   #21
Pentaxian

It all boiled down to the quality of light... Thanks