Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2016, 05:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My Queendom for a Tilt Screen!

With apologies to Shakespeare...

I was out this weekend on a beautiful hike, hunting waterfalls and trilliums. Took the Sig 10-20, the 15 Ltd and the 100 2.8 WR with the K3-II. What a great day! (Photos to come). But I take lots of shots at low angles, especially with the 100, and spent most of the day on the ground in contortions. Got some great shots, but came home muddy and sore.

Clearly, I need to step up my yoga practice. And I need a lighter-and-cheaper-than-K1 DSLR with a tilt screen for steeper hikes involving shooting at crazy angles. I already carry the little Sony RX100 and love that articulating screen, but I prefer working with my favorite lenses and APSC for landscape.

So my question to KS2 users is this: Is there any reason to expect diminished image quality from the K3 to the KS2 for landscape work? I've read the reviews and taken a look at sample shots. I'm not terribly concerned about the decrease in MP's, since I tend not to crop much for landscape. Anything else I should be concerned about with this camera?

I've got my finger on the "buy" button, but will hold off until I hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Kath; 04-04-2016 at 10:39 AM.
04-03-2016, 06:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a K-S2 at work and although I don't shoot landscapes there, you should have no reason to worry about image quality. By the way it regularly outperforms a much more expensive Canon 70D on image quality.
04-03-2016, 06:56 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have a little bit less resolution and a little bit less dynamic range, but at the end of the day, the results should be comparable in practice

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-03-2016, 08:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Maybe one of those mirror things would be a cheap option - though I love my rotating screen.

04-03-2016, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I chose the KS2 over the K3 for this very reason. I don't use it for every shot, but when I do, I'm really glad I have the flippy screen. Click buy already. If you can afford it, it's a fun camera.

As low as it gets:

Last edited by Kozlok; 04-03-2016 at 09:21 PM.
04-04-2016, 06:44 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I chose the KS2 over the K3 for this very reason. I don't use it for every shot, but when I do, I'm really glad I have the flippy screen. Click buy already. If you can afford it, it's a fun camera.

As low as it gets:
Agreed, the K-S2 is a more fun camera than the K-3, thanks to it's Articulating screen & wi-fi. Penatx should have incorporated the articualting screen in the K-3 II at least.

A camera without articulation is, for me at least incomplete, makes very difficult getting those awkward shots, especially macro.

Hope the K-3 III (or whatever it would be named) will have the articualation (& wifi) or better - a touch screen.
04-04-2016, 10:44 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the input, everyone. Think I'll go ahead with this. @Kozlok - Nice photo, just the kind of angle I like. Btw, I went to the balloon festival in Albuquerque a number of years ago. What a sight!

04-04-2016, 10:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
I take lots of shots at low angles, especially with the 100, and spent most of the day on the ground in contortions. Got some great shots, but came home muddy and sore.
When I shoot waterfalls, I don't feel complete until I've knelt for hours in mountain streams and lost at least one remote!
I bring 2 extra pairs of darn tough wool socks and love my insulated nylon weather proof pants.

And yes, I actually have 5 F-type remotes in my bag at all times, because I do lose one per trip, at least.

I think you're going to miss the sense of being one with your subject. Plus I love all the comments I get from passers-by that start with, "Look at that crazy guy..."

LOL
04-04-2016, 11:06 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote

I think you're going to miss the sense of being one with your subject. Plus I love all the comments I get from passers-by that start with, "Look at that crazy guy..."

LOL
I'm sure you're right. I won't miss the day of recuperation after, tho.
04-04-2016, 12:10 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Interesting and useful article on 12 bit bs 14 bit posted on Facebook in the Pentaxians group. Though I thought it was funny when he said, "If anyone is picky about file quality, it's us landscape geeks." For me, shooting wildlife makes you a LOT pickier. So much cropping!

https://photographylife.com/14-bit-vs-12-bit-raw
04-04-2016, 12:22 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is that Silver Falls South? I sure miss that place!
04-04-2016, 01:02 PM   #12
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
Interesting and useful article on 12 bit bs 14 bit posted on Facebook in the Pentaxians group. Though I thought it was funny when he said, "If anyone is picky about file quality, it's us landscape geeks." For me, shooting wildlife makes you a LOT pickier. So much cropping!

https://photographylife.com/14-bit-vs-12-bit-raw
So much anger over the 12-bit vs 14-bit thing

Sure, I always shoot the best quality I have available no matter what, but I don't for a second think I'd be able to spot the difference in my pictures. There are so many other factors that influence the end result much, much more. My main detractor is, and will probably always be, the monkey behind the camera. A 16-bit Hasselblad couldn't change that

Actually, that's a good thing. I can't afford a Hasselblad
04-04-2016, 03:17 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I switched to the K-S2 for the same reason, the articulating screen and low level shots. I've had neck surgery and can't get into some positions that I could before. My prior Pentax was the K-5 II and I haven't noticed any difference of photo quality. I was a little concerned about going from 14 bit to 12 bit raw files, but that hasn't been a problem. Even with normal height shots using my tripod I like being able to flip out the screen for LV focusing, just easier for me to look at.
Buy it.
04-04-2016, 06:05 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
Is that Silver Falls South? I sure miss that place!
No, Todd, it's upper Latourell Falls in the Gorge. So pretty, I spent the whole day.

---------- Post added 04-04-16 at 06:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
My main detractor is, and will probably always be, the monkey behind the camera. A 16-bit Hasselblad couldn't change that
I doubt a monkey could handle that list of lenses you've got!

Last edited by Kath; 04-04-2016 at 06:46 PM.
04-04-2016, 06:19 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

By the way @Adam, if you read this I don't think the K-s2 is listed as a camera option in the user equipement listings is it?