Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2016, 08:47 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My K-S2 has arrived! (Thanks Adam)

My new-to-me Pentax K-S2 has arrived and I couldn't be happier!

First impressions of this camera are that it is SOLID. Very well built, and very well specified. The body has the same density and weight as my K5 had. The only tactile difference is that the K5's metal body was very cold to the touch, and the K-S2 doesn't have that. But the texture is basically the same, the density and weight are the same.

Buttons and knobs are very good quality. A step up from the K-01 and the consumer line, and as nice as those on the pro bodies. The feel is different though -- not sure how to quantify it -- but they feel like the buttons and knobs on a high-end stereo, less industrial feeling than the K5.

The screen quality is AMAZING. Combined with the new interface look, it's really slick. From a usability perspective, it's the same good Pentax interface/menus. But the CLARITY of the interface and the nice feel of the buttons make it feel so much more 21st century.

A lot of people have worried about the grip on the K-S2. I found it immediately comfortable. For perspective, I prefer a smaller camera. I like a camera the size of the Pentax LX or Nikon FM2n. The K5 was a good size. I hated using my K5, K20D or K10D with the battery grip, I found them unweildy, bulky and heavy. I laugh at people shooting Nikon D3/D4 casually, I can't stand carrying around a giant hulk. The K-S2 is "right sized" for me. A bit smaller than the K5, but not cramped (because they aren't squeezing as many buttons onto the thing, and there is no top LCD.

I look forward to shooting, and I'm sure I will share more of my experience.

04-06-2016, 08:54 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Congrats on the new camera. I'm into week two of using mine and I agree about the supposed grip issue. For me it's a NON-issue. Like you I've also been impressed with the handling and menu tweaks and the articulating screen has already been put to good use. Besides keeping me off the ground it's also been good for reducing the chance of screen damage by flipping it in towards the camera back when putting it away. I made the right choice for me.
04-06-2016, 08:56 AM   #3
Forum Member

I plan on buying a K-S2 as well, they seem like a really awesome camera!

I look forward to using an articulating screen for macro shots, specifically.

Heck, I'm still using an *ist DS, so I'm looking forward to IBIS, weather sealing, live view, you know - modern basics!

One downside I've heard about it, is that they're not compatible with wireless flash triggers but that shouldn't be too big of an issue for me.

Jealous of your new camera! Good luck!
04-06-2016, 09:34 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
The K-S2 is "right sized" for me.
I prefer the smaller bodies as well; the great thing is that Pentax gives us options, even with a small lineup. Enjoy your K-S2!

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
One downside I've heard about it, is that they're not compatible with wireless flash triggers
Maybe you mean in terms of P-TTL, but for just basic wireless triggers, I've been using YongNuo 603Ns with all my Pentax bodies for a couple years now. Cactus v5 and v6 triggers work as well. There are options out there.

04-06-2016, 10:28 AM   #5

Nice to hear! The grip didn't fit me, but it certainly looks like a sweet camera.
04-06-2016, 10:37 AM   #6
Forum Member

i too am both new to the ks2, and new to pentax. i come from more of a rangefinder type background over the last ten or so years. my last slr was the canon 5d.

i wanted to try pentax because of the weathersealing. i chose the ks2 because it was the most compact camera pentax offered. i was worried about the grip because it was not a rangefinder, but i quickly came to love it, as well as the extremely solid feel. also, for me personally, i love that the left side of the camera is 'cut off', thus placing the vf by the edge of the camera, like a traditional rf positioning. to me, this is much more comfortable, meaning no 'smushing' ones face against the lcd. i also like the much reduced prism 'hump', making the look much more neat and sleek.

i am really loving not only the ergonomics, but the gorgeous results i am getting as well. i find my pictures leap off the screen, the colors deep and vibrant yet lifelike. i am very very happy with both the ks2 and with pentax.
04-06-2016, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

I thought I'd toss in a couple of things that helped bring me up to speed faster.

First: eBooks4Cameras.com. He has one for the K-S2 that helps more than the official Pentax user manual. At $15 it's certainly worth it IMHO

Second: If you've not got the years and years of experience some of our other forum members do then you'll find "Scene Mode" to be a huge help. I'm doing my best to avoid Auto settings as I can (and sometimes I have to since I'm shooting some good older M glass occasionally) and by using Scene and selecting the appropriate one for the image you're trying to capture it will give you quick and reliable idea of the general settings for you to use for yourself on future shots under the same general conditions. So rather than a crutch that holds you back from your "inner artist" it becomes a teaching tool that helps you overcome some of the confusion and frustration that might cause you to avoid anything but Auto. Just pay attention to those Scene settings and you'll be setting up your own unique and creative photos faster than you might imagine.

Just my .02
04-06-2016, 11:05 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Congrats on your new camera!
I came from the K-5 also, and have taken over 3K shots with my K-S2, and still love pretty much everything about it.

04-11-2016, 11:58 PM   #9

I've absolutely hammered mine it take the beating. I love it, does everything I need it to do and paired with better glass give the flagships a good run for the money....enjoy it!
04-14-2016, 06:37 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just used the camera for my first "formalish" portraits yesterday. Two-point lighting with a pair of umbrella strobes, wireless triggering with my reliable old Cactus V2's.

I haven't had time to calibrate the AF Fine Tune for my lenses yet, so I used Live View to focus on the tripod. I'm VERY PLEASED with the results, especially from my FA 77mm Limited. The lack of AA filter allows the Limited to shine. Resolution seems limitless. Pixel peeping at 100%, you can't guess that you are blowing up the image. I will not be afraid to crop into my files as needed.