Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2016, 03:01 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-S1 sensor dust

Hi all.

Im new to DSLR photography and seem to be having issues with dust on the sensor.

I know some dust is unavoidable to some degree, but I'm getting dust spots on every image that need cloning out in post processing. This is obviously on wide angle lenses at small apertures but is even obvious on telephoto lenses such as 300mm at F6. I always ensure the camera is off when i change lenses and point the camera body down.

people ive spoken to dont have the same kind of problems. Does anyone else have the same kind of issues ?

Is it something specific to Pentax or the K-S1 ?

04-07-2016, 03:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Robinta Quote
Is it something specific to Pentax or the K-S1 ?
Not likely. Do you have an air blower like this one that you could use to clean the sensor? Also, do you have dust removal enabled on startup and/or shutdown?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yes to both Adam. The sensor self cleans both on and off
04-07-2016, 07:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Have you tried pointing the camera down and using the blower with the mirror "locked up for sensor cleaning" setting selected from your camera menu, using a "bulb" type blower like a Giottos "Rocket"?

Of course you do NOT want to use anything like canned air, which will ruin your camera.

The following is an article from the forums that explains cleaning methods, though I have never had to use them yet.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/tutorial-videos/method-for-cleaning-a-digital-sensor.html

Last edited by C_Jones; 04-07-2016 at 07:50 PM.
04-07-2016, 07:46 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Robinta Quote
Yes to both Adam. The sensor self cleans both on and off
If you've already done both, you might need a professional cleaning, or a full DIY cleaning with a cleaning kit. Since we rarely shoot at narrow apertures, sometimes dust can come as a big surprise- I've definitely been there.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-07-2016, 07:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I rarely change lenses to avoid dust.

---------- Post added 04-07-16 at 11:21 PM ----------

You may want to look for "Sensor Cleaning" in your manual to see the exact instructions/procedure for your camera. Make sure the lens is clean prior to use on your camera.
04-08-2016, 02:53 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies. Ive decided to go the DIY route and bought a set of swabs and fluid via Amazon. Im a little anxious in trying them but will give it a go.

04-08-2016, 03:44 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never had any dust on the sensor I've not been able to shift with a Rocket Blower. And I change lenses often, so I've had to blow off the sensor many times.
04-08-2016, 05:43 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had a K-S1 for well over a year. I change lenses frequently. I may have had to blow out dust once or twice, no more than any other body I've used. I've been shooting with Pentax DSLRs for ten years, and I've only had to do a wet cleaning once. The Rocket Blower does the trick 99% of the time.
04-08-2016, 01:46 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a K-S2 and did have a K-5 II and with both change lenses frequently, indoors and outdoors. Outdoors I am more careful how I do it. With both cameras I've had a couple dust spots show up, but all were fixed with a Rocker Blower. I have the dust cleaner program to only activate when shutting down.
This is far different than when I use to use a Canon 5D, it was a dust magnet.
04-12-2016, 10:21 AM   #11
Forum Member

I would not recommend this but.........when I owned my K100D which was used with the Tamron 70-300 I would get sick and tired of the amount of dust the lens would suck in on to the sensor, rocket blower, scotch tape, pec pads they all worked until the camera went outdoors then came back with a herd of dust bunnies.

Then one day I was fed up with squeezing the life out of the Giotto that I set about the camera with a small paintbrush and the Dyson, I was careful not to touch the mirror just a quick brush over the sensor ( I know, I wasn't actually touching the sensor) and let the hoover suck the dust out. It did my camera no harm, in fact it was quicker and easier in the long run, but as I said not recommended.
02-22-2017, 03:47 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Barso Quote
I would not recommend this but.........when I owned my K100D which was used with the Tamron 70-300 I would get sick and tired of the amount of dust the lens would suck in on to the sensor, rocket blower, scotch tape, pec pads they all worked until the camera went outdoors then came back with a herd of dust bunnies.

Then one day I was fed up with squeezing the life out of the Giotto that I set about the camera with a small paintbrush and the Dyson, I was careful not to touch the mirror just a quick brush over the sensor ( I know, I wasn't actually touching the sensor) and let the hoover suck the dust out. It did my camera no harm, in fact it was quicker and easier in the long run, but as I said not recommended.
EXELLENT, I have also done this.GOOD JOB love it.