Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2016, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Late arrival to the K-S1 party

Having read through all the helpful information posted on this forum I decided to take up the offer from Amazon UK for a K-S1 + 50mm f1.8.

I have been using a K-01 along with my Canon 600D for the last couple of years but never felt like the K-01 was getting it's best use, I only had the 40mm XS with it.
In January I purchased a 16-85mm to go on my K-01, at first it was good in good conditions but once outside the arms length approach and composing through the viewfinder saw the keeper rate fall very quickly, I thought I had made a very expensive mistake in getting this lens but soldiered on with indoor tripod mounted photos.

Then I saw the K-S1 fall in price, I did my research and pondered, and deliberated......then pulled the trigger and bought one. As soon as it arrived and I attached the 16-85 I knew (this time) I had made the right decision.

The size is slightly compact compared to the big ones, this I don't mind as it fits in my hands. The grip, having came from the K-01 is a lot better, it is very fast at focussing TTL and live view plus the pentaprism is a godsend. I know pairing a WR lens on a a non WR body may seem odd, but I suppose I'll just have to dodge the rain drops plus the K-S2 was nearly twice the price body only.

Here's hoping for a happy K-S1 future.

04-10-2016, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks the part! I never thought of the K-S1 an upgrade path from the K-01, but it makes perfect sense. Congrats on the purchase

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-10-2016, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-01to k-s1....... To k-1? It's the only way to go name wise. 😀
04-10-2016, 12:52 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
K-01to k-s1....... To k-1? It's the only way to go name wise. 😀
It would seem the obvious route but, the K-01 was bought on clearance after a less than successful debut and short life, the K-S1 was bought on clearance after not adhering to everyone's taste.........now I don't want to tempt fate with the K-1.

04-10-2016, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A few years ago, the k-x was thought of as a compact DSLR that's crammed full of features, delivers fantastic image quality (even at high ISO), at a very low price. I find it strange that the Pentax community hasn't warmed to the k-s1 in the same fashion. I guess that's just down to the number of very happy k30/k50 owners out there!

I managed to persuade someone (very easily) into the Pentax fold with a k-s1 + DA35 f2.4, all for £230. There are no other cameras out there that can match that bang for buck. There are some super cheap deals out there, and they are well worth it. It's very similar to those k01 deals - another camera that wasn't loved by the community until the bargain basement deals came along. I do hope the k-s1 gets a similar fan base, it is fantastic little camera.

I hope you enjoy your new purchase! (I know you will!)
04-11-2016, 11:58 PM   #6

Hi Barso. Firstly im a fellow K-S1 owner in Tyne & Wear after buying mine on black friday last year for a similar price to yours.

I think you will love the camera...as do i. I havent come from another DSLR so have no prejudices about the style or handling of the K-S1 (which seems to be mentioned often by others online).

The camera is intuitive to use, is fast, light with the brilliance of in body stabilisation and most importantly great image quality.

there are little upgrades I'd like (WR, WIFI etc) but nothing to complain about and i just want to take pictures with it all the time. For the price you paid there really is nothing better IMO.

congratulations on your new purchase. Im sure you'll love it.

and if you are located where i assume there are some local FB sites sharing pictures I can recommend..if that's your thing !

Cheers. Robin.
04-12-2016, 12:16 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some months ago I could not withstand the temptation to get a K-S1. 20 MP without AA-filter, astrotracer and some more and an almost bargain price ... and a 'lemon pie' came to me. This camera seems 'elegant' in a certain way to me. It is a shame, that it was sold with a screwdriver kit. I observed at one time, how a young Lady grabbed one at a local store, but was frightened by the noisy AF. Opportunity missed to get a new customer ...
This is a thing I observe frequently. Things are not thought through to the end and therefore opportunities are missed.

Good for those who want a cheap K-S1

04-12-2016, 09:13 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Robinta Quote
Hi Barso. Firstly im a fellow K-S1 owner in Tyne & Wear after buying mine on black friday last year for a similar price to yours.

I think you will love the camera...as do i. I havent come from another DSLR so have no prejudices about the style or handling of the K-S1 (which seems to be mentioned often by others online).

The camera is intuitive to use, is fast, light with the brilliance of in body stabilisation and most importantly great image quality.

there are little upgrades I'd like (WR, WIFI etc) but nothing to complain about and i just want to take pictures with it all the time. For the price you paid there really is nothing better IMO.

congratulations on your new purchase. Im sure you'll love it.

and if you are located where i assume there are some local FB sites sharing pictures I can recommend..if that's your thing !

Cheers. Robin.
Well Robin that's 2 K-S1 users in Tyne & Wear now for the record, you in Sunderland and me in Newcastle.........(Don't mention the current football state)

I hadn't really thought about buying the camera, but as I said in my first post the 16-85 at arms length on the K-01 was not working. I was looking at the K-S2 but saw the K-S1 + 50mm 1.8 drop down to £207 at Amazon so put it in my basket for later. I was hoping to try a K-S1 in my hand and luckily John Lewis in Newcastle had one on show with the 18-55 attached, I gave it a good going over, so much so that I kept setting the alarm off.......all this going on as the salesman was trying to interest me in a new CanoNikon.

I decided to complete my Amazon purchase but saw the price had gone up to £239.........err no! So a ding dong ensued with Amazon CS who eventually relented and apologized. Free delivery took an age but I eventually got it last week. I also have no prejudices over makes, my first DSLR was 10 yrs ago and that was a K100D, my second was a Canon 600D.

I'm not into the social media thing, FB, instagram etc in fact I just use my flickr account, that I find is enough to keep up with.

On a final note, so far the camera is ticking all of the boxes.
04-12-2016, 11:41 PM - 1 Like   #9

Ok Barso.i hope you enjoy the camera. I'll check out your flickr account. Mine is under Robinta1967. Btw im an exiled black and white (not the photo kind !) Living in Sunderland ��
04-22-2016, 10:59 AM   #10

K-S1 New today.

I introduced myself on here a few days ago. As well as having a competing DSLR kit and a couple of digital compacts I have a small collection of film cameras from the 1950's, 1960's, 1970's and '80's. A few months ago I found a mint Pentax Program A, then a very good Pentax MX with a couple of Vivitar lenses. I also have a number of Tamron Adaptall lenses and five or six different Adaptall mounts.
Years ago I had a Pentax P30 and a ME 1 Super but I didn't keep them long.

I started getting interested in the K-S1 as it is now very affordable. Looked up every review and test that I could find. I decided that it had some features that I would like as a second DSLR with the option of trying out some old lenses.
As a result I bought a new white! K-S1 plus kit lens. It arived this morning. I haven't had an opportunity to properly test it out (it is pouring with rain). But I like the look of it. I will give more detail when I have been out & about with it. First impressions, heavier than it looks, and as some tests say, it is not comfortable to hold and my hands are not big, but I'll get used to it. And I like the menus.
04-22-2016, 02:21 PM   #11
Pentaxian

You have already experienced most of the cons, heavy, grip, and not water resistant. Except no duel dials, from here on you are going to love everything else.
04-23-2016, 01:56 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fotografer08 Quote
I introduced myself on here a few days ago. As well as having a competing DSLR kit and a couple of digital compacts I have a small collection of film cameras from the 1950's, 1960's, 1970's and '80's. A few months ago I found a mint Pentax Program A, then a very good Pentax MX with a couple of Vivitar lenses. I also have a number of Tamron Adaptall lenses and five or six different Adaptall mounts.
Years ago I had a Pentax P30 and a ME 1 Super but I didn't keep them long.

I started getting interested in the K-S1 as it is now very affordable. Looked up every review and test that I could find. I decided that it had some features that I would like as a second DSLR with the option of trying out some old lenses.
As a result I bought a new white! K-S1 plus kit lens. It arived this morning. I haven't had an opportunity to properly test it out (it is pouring with rain). But I like the look of it. I will give more detail when I have been out & about with it. First impressions, heavier than it looks, and as some tests say, it is not comfortable to hold and my hands are not big, but I'll get used to it. And I like the menus.
You will like it when you get used to it, two weeks on and I'm getting there, one thing I did all the time was catch the AF AE-L button so I changed it to back button focus. with my 16-85 lens on it is weighted to the front left but yesterday I used the 50 f1.8 and it felt fine, I have used it with the 40 XS pancake and it just felt like a body only.

---------- Post added 04-23-16 at 01:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
You have already experienced most of the cons, heavy, grip, and not water resistant. Except no duel dials, from here on you are going to love everything else.
Couldn't agree more
06-20-2016, 01:20 AM   #13

The K-S1 is well on it's way to becoming a legitimate cult camera. I bought one for travel last month, and I'm going to buy another. It's quirks don't bother me much - I'm after simply picture quality, and it's red hot there. As I disable matrix focussing and focus only with central spot, shoot on manual and use a light meter, it's "disadvantages" are irrelevant. If I have to shoot in rain, an umbrella over the tripod works fine. This quirky machine is a big winner IMHO
06-21-2016, 12:27 AM   #14

Repeated myself

Last edited by Fotografer08; 06-21-2016 at 08:58 AM.
06-21-2016, 12:28 AM   #15

After a couple of months use I cannot fault my K-S1. The images are clean, the colours are good straight out of the camera. I took it to a windsurfing event a few days ago with a cheap Tamron 70-300 zoom. I was amazed at how quickly and accurately the autofocus worked on small figures at extreme distances. Delighted with it and the results.
Because mine is white, I am sure that some people think that it is a compact camera, which works with it (me) in the street photography area!