Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2016, 04:00 PM   #1

K-S1, why no native interval shoots ?!

Hello,

I've got a Pentax K-S1, and as it've been out after the K-50, I don't understand why Pentax made a step back and removed the interval shooting ?!

It's pretty @j*!*^: that they delete a software feature, I mean, it's cost more to have an engineer removing a feature than letting it just there...

Another question, does anyone if there is a way to control the K-S1 from a computer ? even the worst other companies cameras does have it now, I don't understand why some Pentax cameras can be controlled from a PC and others don't.

Thank you

04-12-2016, 04:23 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by touzenesmy Quote
I've got a Pentax K-S1, and as it've been out after the K-50, I don't understand why Pentax made a step back and removed the interval shooting ?!
To encourage you to get the higher model that replaced the K-50 (i.e. the K-S2).

Another question, does anyone if there is a way to control the K-S1 from a computer ? even the worst other companies cameras does have it now, I don't understand why some Pentax cameras can be controlled from a PC and others don't.
You can use the O-FC1 flucard to control the camera through a web browser:
Pentax FluCard O-FC1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

There is no way to control the camera via USB. The K-S2 has built-in Wi-Fi, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-12-2016, 05:14 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
To encourage you to get the higher model that replaced the K-50 (i.e. the K-S2).
Really... I thought Pentax was different from C and N ...

You can use the O-FC1 flucard to control the camera through a web browser:
Pentax FluCard O-FC1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

There is no way to control the camera via USB. The K-S2 has built-in Wi-Fi, though.
Yes but I think, sincerely, that flucard is definitely NOT a solution.

I wanted to use my camera like just a camera peripheral, I mean using it in ALL applications that accept USB video protocol if you see what I mean

I just wanted to use my CAMERA as a connected to pc CAMERA, it's a pretty basic feature for today's peripherals don't you think so ?
04-12-2016, 05:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter

It makes sense to me that Pentax / Ricoh would not build every function we all want into a $300 camera. Most cameras cannot be controlled via USB.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 04-12-2016 at 06:19 PM.
04-12-2016, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Really... I thought Pentax was different from C and N ...
Well, you still get a LOT in a $300 body Like the AA filter simulator, for instance.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-12-2016, 05:40 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
It makes sense to me that Pentax / Ricoh would not build every function we all want into a $300 camera. Most cameras cannot be controlled via USB.
Sorry, I don't agree on this dear pentax brother,

ALL N and C EOS cameras do, even for their cheapest recent models, the Alpha do it too, even the cheap A5000 have tethering tools ..

I COMPLETLY agree on the fact the hardware tools can't be present on a 700$ camera (launching price while even cheaper cameras at that moment had tethering)

But in THIS case, we're talking about the software, it just cost "NOTHING" for them to make tethering possible via USB cable, and even about the interval shooting.

Memory isn't a problem since the 2000s now, I don't think that the K-S1 ROM can't hold 200kb more of program..

I did some research and it looks like Pentax didn't give any communication about that problem, or did they ?

---------- Post added 04-12-16 at 05:44 PM ----------

Well, you still get a LOT in a $300 body Like the AA filter simulator, for instance.
I completly agree, even if I paid it 500€ (about 550$), for this price, this DSLR is just amazing.

But that's the problem !

It got some AMAZING features, like the astrophotographers sensor, prism, an amazing raw quality even at 3200 ISO, but in the same time, it doesn't have the even software basics.

This is .. so, FRUSTRATING !

It's like you got a Porshe car for 10 000$, you got everything in it, but no autoradio, and no possibility of getting one, you see what I mean ?

Last edited by MarkJerling; 04-12-2016 at 06:19 PM.
04-12-2016, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Actually, the more you pay for a Porsche, the fewer features it comes with. Top models don't have AC, electric windows, carpets or stereos.
04-12-2016, 06:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I don't know if anyone has tried using PKtriggercord with the K-S1. I know PKTether only works with older cameras. If you do try, it's entirely at your own risk!

04-12-2016, 06:47 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Thank you

Some of these companies force you to use a special app, Touzenesmy, with the K-S1 and Flucard, unlike a lot of them, you can shoot (with touch screen focus) from Chrome or Safari, phone, tablet or laptop.

I've used it and it works pretty much like the Wifi remote control on my Sony and Samsung bodies, minus needing the dedicated sotware.
04-12-2016, 07:46 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Site Supporter

I don't understand why Pentax made a step back and removed the interval shooting ?
The K-S1 is a step back from the K-50 in terms of market segment. Sorry. The K-50 is still an active product with no clear direct successor in the wings. That being said, the K-S2 is a definite step up and with a street price very close to the historic pricing of the K-50 a great value. I am a little sad that support for a cable remote is missing, but that is how things go.

Before I forget, Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Having said that and sorry to sound gruff, but not too many people create accounts to rant on the first post, but it takes all kinds. From your comments thus far, it appears you are pretty good at market research. As such, I find it hard to understand how you managed to buy the K-S1 despite its deficient feature list. It is sort of an entry-level product, if somewhat nicer than most. If native remote tethering and flexible interval shooting were on your short list, there is plenty of product available that supports both, though not much (zero?) at a sub-$400 USD price point for a one lens kit.

Putting my "helpful guy" hat back on...If you want basic interval shooting support on your K-S1 and are willing to use an Android app, dSLR Remote is free and allows for interval shooting courtesy of the phones IR blaster. You will have to change the B mode behavior (Menu C-1, #7) to make it work and battery consumption may a bit high for both phone and camera, but it should work.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.dslrremote&hl=en

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-12-2016 at 07:54 PM.
04-12-2016, 09:07 PM   #11
Pentaxian

It's like you got a Porshe car for 10 000$, you got everything in it, but no autoradio, and no possibility of getting one, you see what I mean ?
I don't think many people would complain about such a deal. I'm sure I would not
04-12-2016, 10:15 PM   #12
Pentaxian

From what some of can glean the intended target market for the K-S1 was as a first DSLR for the selfie crowd. A step and a half perhaps above a bridge camera. Maybe half way between the K500 and K50. Not surprising that some features are not there. And yes, I would say the intention is to whet the appetite of a first tmie DSLR owner to want to eventually step up to something higher.

Indeed, the K-S series are not marketed specifically towards Pentax owners so it should surprise no one if there are radical departures in terms of design and features of what Pentaxians consider a Pentax camera. People are always criticizing Pentax-Ricoh for not being innovative enough yet all there was were howls of criticism over the "innovations" in the K-S1. Maybe they should put Ricoh on the front of K-S cameras although I believe Ricoh has said the K-mounts would always be branded Pentax. Of course if Ricoh did that there would be a "War of the Worlds" style panic that Ricoh is killing off the Pentax name. Look at the fuss over the dread hociR on the K-3.
04-12-2016, 10:29 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Your K-S1 is very flattered by comparing it to a Porsche,Touzenesmy.

The K-50, K-3, K-1 and 645 are for traditional photographers, the K-S1 and K-S2 for trendy upgraders from phones and P&S.

Doesn't mean you can't enjoy them if you're a veteran - they have attractions of their own - but you may miss some of the pro features.

Last edited by clackers; 04-12-2016 at 11:31 PM.
04-12-2016, 10:37 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
I don't think many people would complain about such a deal. I'm sure I would not
Reminds me of a BMW I used to own. The radio was a dealer add-on (not available stock).

Steve
04-12-2016, 11:24 PM   #15
Site Supporter

After some searching I found out, that IR-remotes exist with timer and intervall functions, f.ex. JJC MT-636.
Maybe with this means you can get the functionality you want?