Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2016, 11:38 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Camera and lens question

I hope that this is the appropriate forum to be posting in, if not I am sorry.

I am new to the DSLR realm and I am looking to purchase a new camera. I am looking at a Pentax K S1 ( body only ) and the lens that I am looking at is the Pentax DA 50mm f1.8 lens. Would this combination work and would this also be a good combination for night time/ dark settings? I go to a lot of shows and help local bands with some pics.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

04-12-2016, 11:42 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, that combo will work. All Pentax lenses work with all Pentax DSLR bodies, so that makes things easy (with a few caveats for older lenses/bodies, see this detailed article if you want the full story).

Plus, with the DA 50mm's fast aperture you'd be in good shape for low-light photography. It's a great starter lens.

If you want more features (such as Wi-Fi, an articulating display, dual control wheels, weather sealing, and more drive modes like interval shooting) then I'd recommend stepping up to a K-S2, which should only cost around $150 more brand new. It's a much better value in my opinion. The K-S2 also doesn't have all the silly LEDs everywhere, and it has a "normal" mode dial

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-13-2016, 12:07 AM   #3

Original Poster
Price is one thing that is limiting me. I work as a bouncer/ doorman @ a local venue here in town. When I have a chance I try to snap some pics of the local and touring acts. Our area is a college town so we get mainly the small town bands, none of the big boys, but that is fine with me. Recently I had my old camera stolen ( a sony cybershot wx70 ), so my friends put together a GoFundMe account to raise monies for a replacement. They raised $400 and after GoFundMe got their cut it was $360.

---------- Post added 04-13-16 at 12:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Gallows_Way Quote
Price is one thing that is limiting me. I work as a bouncer/ doorman @ a local venue here in town. When I have a chance I try to snap some pics of the local and touring acts. Our area is a college town so we get mainly the small town bands, none of the big boys, but that is fine with me. Recently I had my old camera stolen ( a sony cybershot wx70 ), so my friends put together a GoFundMe account to raise monies for a replacement. They raised $400 and after GoFundMe got their cut it was $360.
I found the body on Amazon for $279.99 and the lens for $82.96 totaling 362.95 + tax
04-13-2016, 12:15 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Gallows_Way Quote

---------- Post added 04-13-16 at 12:15 AM ----------

I found the body on Amazon for $279.99 and the lens for $82.96 totaling 362.95 + tax
Sorry to hear that- but that's very nice of your friends! How important is handling for you? The K-50 would for example be a lot easier to hold than the K-S1, thanks to a deeper grip. If that's important then I would go for it instead of the K-S1.

Anyway, those are the only two cameras that would accommodate your budget (brand new) if you also want the lens.

There don't appear to be any K-50's currently on the marketplace, but those are $295 new and around $225 second-hand. Like the K-S2, the K-50 has dual control wheels and weather sealing.

Here's the specs comparison for all 3 cameras:
Pentax K-50 vs. Pentax K-S1 vs. Pentax K-S2 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-13-2016, 04:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In any case, if you are new to DSLRs, I always recommend reading the book "Understanding Exposure " by Brian Peterson. It will help you get the most of your new camera. My library had it, so it didn't even cost me anything.
04-13-2016, 05:48 AM   #6
Emperor and Senpai

My mom and the girl who lives with me both love their KS1 cameras. I would also recommend a zoom for general having fun with it. See if you can also get the 18-55 kit lens for a little more.
04-13-2016, 06:28 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Looking for images in a club, the 50 1.8 really is your best option, but, the DA35 2.4, could provide a more "normal" image. 50 is actually a short telephoto on a K-s1. Probably better for band pics, a little long for crowd images.
04-13-2016, 07:05 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome! Ask us anything - we are free with an opinion LOL.

What if any experience with photography do you have?

04-13-2016, 08:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Welcome! Ask us anything - we are free with an opinion LOL.
Not necessarily an informed opinion, but an opinion.
04-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Not necessarily an informed opinion, but an opinion.
Absolutely!
04-13-2016, 02:27 PM   #11

Original Poster
Back in 94 I received a 35mm slr in which I still have. I typically use it solely for B&W photography. From there I became a computer geek and I really enjoy the ease of use with my ( now stolen ) point and shoot. The one thing that I do like about the SLR is the wide ability that they have. In all honesty I rarely if ever use the 35mm any more.

Most of the pics that I plan on doing now are going to be of the band members and not the crowd.
04-13-2016, 02:33 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok be aware that the 50mm on that KS1 will appear more like 75mm to you. Hopefully that still works for your needs.

If you want to understand why look for topics labeled understanding crop factor.
05-01-2016, 07:36 AM   #13

I shoot with a K-S2 which (correct me if I'm wrong) has the same sensor at the K-S1 so image quality should be similar to what I'm getting with my DA 50mm F1.8 which is very good. However, I know the venues you will be shooting at ill be quite dark so shooting wide open would be a must, but whenever possible, I like to stop it down to F4 to F5.6 that's where you'll get impressively sharp photos for just a $100 lens

Although, Depending on your shooting situation I might go with a 35mm.
05-21-2016, 11:05 PM   #14

Can you tell from the metadata in your old cybershot wx70 photo files where you had the zoom set? That might give you some guidance about what focal lengths are most important to you, and by extension, what lens you would find most useful.
05-28-2016, 11:47 PM   #15

Photos: Gallery
I have K-S1 and the DA 50mm F1.8 and can confirm that it works fine together The only downside of the 50mm prime is that you can't zoom in/out so you have to move around to make good shots. Sometimes you can, sometimes not. The biggest improvement I achieved lens-wise was investment into the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 which replaced my kit lens but in this case, with a limited budget you have, it's way too expensive... (I actually paid more for the Sigma alone than for the K-S1 with the kit lens )
The K-50 is probably a better choice if you have big hands, but I opted for K-S1 as it's fine by me as it was really cheap and it makes excellent pictures. Now I'm looking for a used K-3 but they are still way beyond my budget.