Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2016, 02:06 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-S1 problem

So here I am enjoying my new camera until.............yesterday I decided (rightly or wrongly) to upgrade the firmware to 1.10. Everything went as planned and it updated ok. Later on when I was taking a few photos I noticed that my 16-85 seemed a bit hesitant when focussing, this was something I hadn't noticed before, I then tried the 50mm f1.8 and this was doing the same, also when I went to look at an image in playback the image for a split second was showing what an image looks like with focus peaking turned on before it settled to normal, add in the fact that there is now a random flicker on the lcd screen.

Last night I thought I would check out the AA filter simulator to see if it made any difference when photographing patterns which may exhibit moire, I tried a selection of jeans and fabrics without the filter then with it turned on, there was no difference to my eyes. I then remembered that someone somewhere mentioned that they had trouble with image files when taking a photo of the Google homepage, so I tried that.

I set my camera on a tripod 2 foot from the screen and focussed on "Google". I took a selection of photos which were all very sharp down to pixel level with what I think was some moire pattern evident, i repeated this with the simulator on and the effect was lessened. Now the problem, when I viewed them on the pc the jpegs were fine but a quarter of the raw files look garbled and pink, I viewed the raw files through faststone and Bridge which gave the same results, then when opening in ACR they looked the same. Thinking that my memory card was the culprit I swapped it and repeated the test, the same thing happened, half were garbled, some pink and some yellow. I then repeated this with a third card and guess what ? the same. One thing came apparent when I was looking through the files was that the normal raw file size is between 18-20 meg, these corrupted files were 30-33 meg in size. Prior to the firmware update everything was fine. I don't know what is going so wanted to ask if anybody else has had problems when going from V1.00 to V1.10

I have attach a screenshot from Bridge showing the files and info.

Attached Images

04-14-2016, 02:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried formatting the memory card? Or, have you tried a different memory card in the camera?
04-14-2016, 02:46 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Have you tried formatting the memory card? Or, have you tried a different memory card in the camera?
Hi, as I said in my post I have tried 3 different cards, the same thing happened each time. I have tried the cards in my K-01 and they are all fine and were fine in the K-S1 up to yesterday.
I don't understand how the file sizes can jump up to 30+meg for these photos.
04-14-2016, 03:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Sorry, I missed your point re the memory cards. What are you seeing if you look at the images on camera, rather than in your viewing software?

04-14-2016, 04:05 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sorry, I missed your point re the memory cards. What are you seeing if you look at the images on camera, rather than in your viewing software?
No problem Mark,
On the camera lcd the images look ok that's why I didn't suspect any problem. The jpegs show ok in Windows, faststone, bridge etc and are all around 9mb in size even the 30+mb raw files show a 9-10mb jpeg. I've been trying to replicate it but now my 2 lenses are refusing to focus with the K-S1, they are ok on the K-01 though. It seems something has gone bad with this camera since yesterday and I've no way of going back to V1.00 to see if the firmware is the problem.
04-14-2016, 04:21 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Have you tried pulling the battery? Short of that, and considering that you're seeing this problem with multiple memory cards, I don't know what else to suggest.
04-14-2016, 05:27 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Have you tried pulling the battery? Short of that, and considering that you're seeing this problem with multiple memory cards, I don't know what else to suggest.
Yes, it was fully charged yesterday before the FW update, I put it back on charge this morning and that only took half an hour to be full again.
I think I will have to contact Amazon to try and arrange an exchange, I've only had it since last Friday so I will see how that goes.
Thanks for your input.
04-14-2016, 05:31 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Best to exchange it. Good luck!

04-14-2016, 08:04 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
I was just at the point of contacting Amazon CS when I remembered a neighbour has a K30. I went round and borrowed his battery and my camera started up no problem and has since been working ok again with both lenses, I'll try it for the rest of the day to see what happens. Now I'm confused..........a battery issue ?
04-23-2016, 01:45 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
An update 9 days on from my initial post. The camera has been behaving itself with the borrowed K-30 battery so I decided to try the original battery back in again, it worked fine and has for the last few days. I think I may have found out what the problem was but it needs a bit more investigating. What I found was when you take a photo and it displays on the screen you are not able to change the aperture for that split second when the image is displayed because you end up zooming in to the photo, what I was trying to do was take a succession of photos from F3.5 - F8 but because the top wheel changes the aperture and zooms in playback I wasn't giving the camera enough time to write the image to the card. I now wait until the displayed playback image goes off then make changes, so far this seems to be working.........fingers crossed.
04-23-2016, 02:23 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Barso Quote
An update 9 days on from my initial post. The camera has been behaving itself with the borrowed K-30 battery so I decided to try the original battery back in again, it worked fine and has for the last few days. I think I may have found out what the problem was but it needs a bit more investigating. What I found was when you take a photo and it displays on the screen you are not able to change the aperture for that split second when the image is displayed because you end up zooming in to the photo, what I was trying to do was take a succession of photos from F3.5 - F8 but because the top wheel changes the aperture and zooms in playback I wasn't giving the camera enough time to write the image to the card. I now wait until the displayed playback image goes off then make changes, so far this seems to be working.........fingers crossed.
If you can replicate that problem, it would be a very useful thing to know for other K-S1 users here also. Please let us know?
04-24-2016, 02:25 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If you can replicate that problem, it would be a very useful thing to know for other K-S1 users here also. Please let us know?
Ok here goes, last night I tried the same setup, tripod in front of the monitor, 16-85 lens and went through the same procedure trying to fire off as many photos in quick succession while changing the aperture values. I repeated this a few times with the 50mm lens also, the result was........... everything was fine, no corrupt files.
I was sitting scratching my head and just at the point of putting everything away when I remembered that I had changed one thing in the camera setup, I had changed the raw format from DNG back to PEF.

Next step, I changed back to DNG and repeated the test with the 16-85, the result ! Out of 10 images captured 4 raw files were corrupt, 31mb in size and showing as pink images like the first time. I changed back to PEF and did it again, this time 10 images captured and no corrupt raw files.

I know this isn't scientific testing and it may just be related to my setup but I can conclude that my camera trips up on the DNG front as opposed to PEF front when trying this type of test. A friend asked why would you want to test the lens setup in this way, my reply was that suppose you were in a situation where you had to take multiple images at varying apertures to show the effects of lens sharpness and the depth of field it produces and you only had a short time to do it, this is what you would do.

To the average user in normal daily use this issue would not normally present itself, it just seems that I have stumbled across one area where by with certain settings and being in a hurry I have had an issue. From now on I'm sticking to PEF with a slower pace. Hope this may be of use to someone else.
04-24-2016, 02:42 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for detailing your test. When you have the raw format set to DNG, if you take multiple shots at different apertures but leave a little time between each shot, do you still get the corrupted images? I'm interested to see if your earlier thoughts on trying to change aperture value while the file is still writing to the card have some basis?
04-24-2016, 04:17 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Thanks for detailing your test. When you have the raw format set to DNG, if you take multiple shots at different apertures but leave a little time between each shot, do you still get the corrupted images? I'm interested to see if your earlier thoughts on trying to change aperture value while the file is still writing to the card have some basis?
It was a fairly detailed but not comprehensive test, regarding the DNG approach, leaving enough time in between shots there is no problem with the files, I also tried in continuous HI and Lo just to see how the files behaved when the buffer filled up, again no problem with the raw files in DNG or PEF. It all seems to point to when the image appears in playback and trying to make aperture changes while the orange light is on otherwise give an extra second to finish writing and all is fine. This was the same with 3 cards, 2 being Sandisk Extreme 45mb/s and 1 Integral 32mb/s.