Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-09-2018, 06:31 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KierraElizabeth Quote
Does anyone have a reputable repair shop they have used to repair a failed aperture drive on their K-S2? Anything I need to know. Mine seems most definitely to be failing/have failed. It was waking itself after some shots in burst mode, but won't seem to work at all now. I'd love some resources to repair it soon, as I have a trip to India in a few months.
I haven't seen any complaints about this guy
Pentax Camera Repair - Aperture Control Repair

Doing it yourself would be faster .... if you're willing to take that task on.

01-01-2019, 04:15 PM   #77

My KS-2 is starting to have a similar issue: The first shot is often black or quite underexposed; the second or third shot (with same settings and scene) gets exposed properly. The discussion suggests this will continue to be a somewhat random but growing problem?

The camera was purchased in 2015 and I use it fairly regularly as an amateur.
01-01-2019, 05:04 PM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by toms957 Quote
My KS-2 is starting to have a similar issue: The first shot is often black or quite underexposed; the second or third shot (with same settings and scene) gets exposed properly. The discussion suggests this will continue to be a somewhat random but growing problem?
Very possibly, but not certain.

Do you happen to have a PLM lens? It should never have problems.

Here is the best way to test for an aperture control issue {do as the first shot, when you expect to have problems}:
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Diagnostic is to set to M mode with aperture set wide open with a 1s shutter speed, AF off. Observe the lens from the front while pressing the shutter button. If the lens stops down, there is an aperture control problem. Whether it is the aperture control block requires a more intensive diagnostic; fault may be in the camera electronics.
You could also read "Dark Image" into some program that provides a histogram. The histogram should look normal, but should be squeezed into the left quarter or so of the range.
01-22-2019, 06:12 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KierraElizabeth Quote
Does anyone have a reputable repair shop they have used to repair a failed aperture drive on their K-S2? Anything I need to know. Mine seems most definitely to be failing/have failed. It was waking itself after some shots in burst mode, but won't seem to work at all now. I'd love some resources to repair it soon, as I have a trip to India in a few months.
QuoteOriginally posted by toms957 Quote

The camera was purchased in 2015 and I use it fairly regularly as an amateur.
Yes, that's what happened to me as well. Was in denial that I had the problem but it gets worse (which made sense given the nature of the problem)

If you're already on a trip, switching to drive mode and bursting out 5-6 shots buys you a dozen working frames till the problem manifests itself again.

If you're able to send your camera in, the pentaxcamerarepair.com that reh321 linked was amazing. He did a fast and quality fix. My K-S2 failed between 12000-15000 or so frames, got fixed, and has gone without a hitch for another 20,000.

09-21-2020, 11:06 AM   #80

I have read through most of these, I've had my camera for 2 years and most of the pictures I took on a recent trip are black. Looking like this is a common issue? The camera's warranty was only for a year
09-21-2020, 01:08 PM   #81
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

Make sure you keep this linked somewhere. More than a few members might find it a relatively small repair expense tor a working camera.
09-22-2020, 02:03 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

Very bad idea!

There have been several reports or repeated failures!

The reason why is shown very well in this thread:
Solenoid problem return plus sound - PentaxForums.com

and just recently we looked into how Pentax Camera Repair - PC35 Photolabs does the filing again here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/189-repairs-warranty-service/393502-my-t...ml#post5083283

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/388728-why-you-shou...t-replace.html

And then check, if you want to repair it yourself:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/184-pentax-k-s1-k-s2/399162-manual-solen...s2-k-70-a.html

If it is too difficult check if you find anybody here on the forum willing to repair it for you for a sensible price.

But yes, if nothing else works, PC35 Photolabs is the cheapest option. At least they seem to give longer warranty than the year they write about on their webside. So US$ 100 + shipping is still cheaper than a good used DSLR

Last edited by photogem; 10-20-2020 at 03:55 AM.
09-24-2020, 07:58 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BRob Quote
I have read through most of these, I've had my camera for 2 years and most of the pictures I took on a recent trip are black. Looking like this is a common issue? The camera's warranty was only for a year
try to fix it by DIY.
this is a thread on sticky post of this forum
11-20-2020, 03:24 PM   #84

Well my worst fear gets confirmed. I bought my K-S2 in 2016, used it way less than I would like, I don't think It reaches the thousand shots. Last year I started to get a dark frame as the first shot, and I knew it was some kind of malfunction because the next shot would be correctly exposed without touching anything, usually in Av mode. I tought it could be a light metering problem until I decided to search in this forum and found this thread.

I've been looking forward to buy new lenses to upgrade my kit lense for a year now, using the pandemic lockup time to make up my mind to choose wisely and checking the prices to get the best discount possible for my very limited budget. Finally I decided I want the 'Pentax HD DA 55-300 mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR' first, as I really want to experiment with a telephoto range (never done that yet) and later I would buy the 'Samyang 16mm F2.0 ED AS UMC CS' to improve my wide angle IQ.

I just come back from a trip to a forest to get some nice autumn pics and it was a nightmare to use the camera, getting plenty of dark frames, I got crazy changing the exposure settings to try to get decent exposures handheld. The only upside is that I don't have a single burned highlight in the skies and the dark isn't that bad to be unsolvable by lifting the exposure in the RAW develop I think, as this camera recovers shadows quite well I think. But this is far from ideal ofc, as I'm losing quality.

I don't know what to do now about purchasing the telephoto lens. I was loving the camera and the features of Pentax quality/price, but this is really worrying.
11-20-2020, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deBurrows Quote
I don't know what to do now about purchasing the telephoto lens. I was loving the camera and the features of Pentax quality/price, but this is really worrying.
I've got several good news for you. First: the PLM lens will work even with a "dead" solenoid; its aperture gets controlled electronically from inside the lens, it does not need the mechanism which does this on other lenses with the help of the solenoid. You might have to update your camera's firmware to make it work, but then you'll not have underexposed pictures because of your faulty aperture control with this lens.
Secondly: the Samyang will work as well if you use the aperture ring with stopdown metering instead of using it on the A setting (does it even have one?). It will work like a fully manual lens.
And last but not least: you can fix the camera yourself!
11-20-2020, 05:23 PM   #86

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
I've got several good news for you. First: the PLM lens will work even with a "dead" solenoid; its aperture gets controlled electronically from inside the lens, it does not need the mechanism which does this on other lenses with the help of the solenoid. You might have to update your camera's firmware to make it work, but then you'll not have underexposed pictures because of your faulty aperture control with this lens.
Secondly: the Samyang will work as well if you use the aperture ring with stopdown metering instead of using it on the A setting (does it even have one?). It will work like a fully manual lens.
thanks for the quick reply, and the very useful info!
11-21-2020, 12:54 AM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
Plus: It's not that difficult. Worth it. A dark-image-producing K-S2 is on the way to me,

the K-S2 catches that syndrom much less than the K30/50/500 but at times it does.
But the 55-300PLM (only that one!) will work.
But I feel the K-S2 is worth it to work fully and not just "castrated"!
11-25-2020, 01:15 PM   #88
Forum Member

Does anyone know if if the this issue occurs again after repair by Precision Camera?
11-26-2020, 01:11 AM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ShawnH Quote
Does anyone know if if the this issue occurs again after repair by Precision Camera?
Nobody can answer this really.

They have to use the China-made green PET solenoid as replacement

There have been situations, when the fault appeared again due to this.

I never had a Pentax body on my workbench coming from Precision but only some which had been repaired in Europe by official places.
Those came to me because they failed again.

So the savest is for sure to apply the DIY. Save if you feel up to it.

Sadly one cannot ask them if they would use the Japan-Solenoid, only in UK a company did so and I can't remember if this was an official repairshop.

The reason is, that those Japan-solenoids are hardly available NOS (New Old Stock) but mainly used.

I guess they have to fullfill orders "from above"