Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2016, 01:18 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
If this issue is systemic, it's frustrating to have it perpetuate through multiple models.
Very frustrating, if this is the case. I skipped the k50 since it was a carbon copy of the k30. I thought the ks2 was different enough that it wouldn't have the same problem. So far yours is the first ks2 to have this problem, and we are still speculating it is the aperture drive failure at this point.

The good thing is we are aware of the problem. I had a few "dark frames" with my k30 while it was still under extended warranty, but thought it was just a fluke. Now I know what to look for with my ks2.

05-20-2016, 07:25 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Just post a few raw files with the problem. Could also be a shutter problem. How about when you shoot in live view?
05-21-2016, 03:36 PM   #18
Forum Member

This is not fun at all. I have dumped my K-30 as switched 100% to Black Frames and decided on K-S2. Now K-S2goes the same path. If it happened I may switch to K3, however no more lenses and accessories for K-S2 as the "may switch to K3" has the same weight as "may switch to Nikon or Olympus". Nikon and Olympus takes care of their customers. Pentax keeps quiet without any sign of feeling guilty.
Leo
05-27-2016, 08:14 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well, the answer is in, and it's not good. Repair centre estimate is for "Diaphragm Control Block." Price for repair: $235.32

If the camera had been purchased in Canada, it would be eligible for a two-year warranty repair. Unfortunately it was imported from the U.S. so it was covered for one year only, and has expired.

05-27-2016, 11:44 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, the answer is in, and it's not good. Repair centre estimate is for "Diaphragm Control Block." Price for repair: $235.32

If the camera had been purchased in Canada, it would be eligible for a two-year warranty repair. Unfortunately it was imported from the U.S. so it was covered for one year only, and has expired.
That's bad news, Filmamigo.

I bought my K-1 locally with extended warranty rather than from overseas for a little peace of mind.

05-28-2016, 07:22 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The next question: for people who got their K-30 etc repaired, did the repair work long term? Or are they putting the same flawed design parts back in, doomed to fail in the future?
05-28-2016, 07:35 AM   #22
Pentaxian

That is bad news. This is the third generation of camera to have this problem, so it doesn't sound like they have a fix for it, or are simply not concerned about it.

Just out of curiosity, how old and how many shots on your k-s2?

05-28-2016, 07:49 AM   #23
Pentaxian

More likely it is a qc issue since not nearly all camera's develop. A repair would solve it.
05-28-2016, 06:52 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vmax911 Quote
That is bad news. This is the third generation of camera to have this problem, so it doesn't sound like they have a fix for it, or are simply not concerned about it.

Just out of curiosity, how old and how many shots on your k-s2?
The camera was originally purchased mid-April 2015. It's lightly used, maybe 1000 shots?
05-28-2016, 09:43 PM   #25
Veteran Member

This is NOT Good.....you can always keep it and use it for shooting M42 lenses ? I am about to but a KS2 , but wont unless I can get a no hassle warranty for 3 years. Sorry to hear this.....feel for You.
BTW......BOTH of my K30's developed the same problem......it SUCKS !
06-02-2016, 07:13 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear about your KS-2 experience, I felt it was definitely a good turn around in design and overall camera when the camera was announced. I just had my Mz-5n gear/motor fail on me the other day. While not as financially painful, it's annoying to see cameras still plagued by the same sorts of issues.
06-03-2016, 11:59 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have opted to have the K-S2 repaired.

I decided that I did enjoy shooting the K-S2 (for the short period of time I had it.) The handling is excellent, the image quality is excellent, I love the flip-out screen.

This does mean I am committed to the APS-C format for a while longer with this investment. I will wait a while longer to go full-frame.
06-15-2016, 08:21 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Checked with Sun Camera, as of yesterday the camera was fixed and will be sent back to me. That's an 11 day turnaround. Pretty good for a consumer repair (i.e.not a "Pro" service agreement like you can subscribe to from Canon or Nikon.)

Will let you know how the camera works, and will update here if any problems ever re-develop.
06-15-2016, 04:27 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Checked with Sun Camera, as of yesterday the camera was fixed and will be sent back to me. That's an 11 day turnaround. Pretty good for a consumer repair (i.e.not a "Pro" service agreement like you can subscribe to from Canon or Nikon.)

Will let you know how the camera works, and will update here if any problems ever re-develop.

An unpleasant hiccup, Filmamigo, glad to hear you'll be up and running again.
06-15-2016, 06:02 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vmax911 Quote
Does a single report constitute a trend? The sky is not falling until we start seeing four or five reports per week as happened with the K-30 and later, the K-50. I know, there is another thread, but to be honest, I am not sure the problem with that camera (if any) had been characterized. FWIW, the OP on that thread (gatorguy) is posting photos, so perhaps he figured things out.

Steve