Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-15-2016, 06:11 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Checked with Sun Camera, as of yesterday the camera was fixed and will be sent back to me. That's an 11 day turnaround. Pretty good for a consumer repair (i.e.not a "Pro" service agreement like you can subscribe to from Canon or Nikon.)
Glad they were able to get it fixed for you in a timely manner. According to your earlier post, the camera was purchased mid-April 2015, meaning that it was just out of warranty when your problems started. It is very likely that Ricoh/Pentax would have honored the warranty at that time. You might want to contact them to see if they will refund your repair expenses.

Steve

06-15-2016, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Does a single report constitute a trend?

Steve
No, but typically a trend starts with one . Hopefully this is a one-off issue. With the k30/k50 history I'm definitely keeping an eye on my ks2.

I don't follow the k7/k5/k3 forums, anyone know if there are any aperture drive failure reports there?
06-15-2016, 07:53 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vmax911 Quote
No, but typically a trend starts with one . Hopefully this is a one-off issue. With the k30/k50 history I'm definitely keeping an eye on my ks2.

I don't follow the k7/k5/k3 forums, anyone know if there are any aperture drive failure reports there?
No, none that I am aware of. I am also unaware of reports of similar failures in the multiple other APS-C models (all since at least the K10D with the exception of the K-3/K-3II) using the same or very similar aperture control block. When this happened with the K-30, it was something new. I remember the first cases where users on this site helped others rule out shutter, lens, and metering issues. For many of us, these failures have been frustrating. The cameras involved have arguably been the best value in their price segment and feature superior build and usability. With any luck the problems with the aperture/mirror controller will end with the K-50.

BTW...it just occurred to me that I have not heard of any problems with the K-500...go figure...

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-15-2016 at 08:20 PM.
06-19-2016, 10:27 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...it just occurred to me that I have not heard of any problems with the K-500...go figure...
Two obvious possibilities

(1) people here didn't buy them

(2) people who buy them have usage patterns similar to mine {monthly shutter count of 25 doesn't add up very fast}

06-20-2016, 08:46 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vmax911 Quote
That is bad news. This is the third generation of camera to have this problem, so it doesn't sound like they have a fix for it, or are simply not concerned about it.

Just out of curiosity, how old and how many shots on your k-s2?
yes...here we go again..and the mechanical flash popup button ?

I'm fell a bit frustrated amongst several Nikon D5xxx users who are all on 50k+ without any problem...my K30 stared to fall apart at 12k...If i were shooting more when it was in warranty...

I wanted K S2 but now I'm not sure.

k3 has flash lag and k3ii ahs not flash at all...issue resolved

/sorry but I have to sarcastic
06-20-2016, 09:33 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
yes...here we go again..and the mechanical flash popup button ?

I'm fell a bit frustrated amongst several Nikon D5xxx users who are all on 50k+ without any problem...my K30 stared to fall apart at 12k...If i were shooting more when it was in warranty...

I wanted K S2 but now I'm not sure.

k3 has flash lag and k3ii ahs not flash at all...issue resolved

/sorry but I have to sarcastic
Is that the right comparison?

How about people using D3xxx {which tends to be more comparable to K-n0, pricewise}.
06-20-2016, 10:43 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Is that the right comparison?

How about people using D3xxx {which tends to be more comparable to K-n0, pricewise}.
In Europe..at least where I live they are priced in the same bracket

06-29-2016, 11:17 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I put the repaired K-S2 through the paces with a two-day event shoot. The repair seems solid.

I am nagged by inconsistent performance of flash in P-TTL though. I will open another thread to discuss, because it's nothing new to the K-S2 ....
07-08-2016, 04:59 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Like many others, I intend to buy the K-S2 to replace my K-5ii's (My K-30 suffered from dark frames too, got repaired by Pentax Cebu but too memorable to dispose) but now I am having second thoughts. But I must admit, I really like the forest green version and the IQ of this camera is astounding for its asking price.
07-09-2016, 09:13 AM   #40
Oricman

Isn't a K5iis a better camera than a KS2 ? Not sure why you'd want to downgrade?

My K30 is still working but it is a frustrating experience trying to get good pictures.
07-09-2016, 10:31 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Oricman Quote
Isn't a K5iis a better camera than a KS2 ? Not sure why you'd want to downgrade?

My K30 is still working but it is a frustrating experience trying to get good pictures.
What part of your experience is frustrating?
Nailing focus?
Getting exposure correct??
Something else???

We just returned from a twelve-day trip to New England USA and Quebec Province Canada; I took a total of ninety distinct pictures with my K-30 and thirteen with my Q-7 {I count only how many are not essentially the same as others)} - yes I know that I am a low-volume user - and I was satisfied with virtually all of them. They were all "landscape" pictures, and ranged from those taken the first day in a light drizzle to those taken the last day in bright sunshine.

added: my current expectation is that a K-70 will eventually replace the K-30, but not this month.,
07-09-2016, 12:25 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Like many others, I intend to buy the K-S2 to replace my K-5ii's (My K-30 suffered from dark frames too, got repaired by Pentax Cebu but too memorable to dispose) but now I am having second thoughts. But I must admit, I really like the forest green version and the IQ of this camera is astounding for its asking price.
Ummm, with the distinct lack of others reporting "dark frames" on their KS2, unlike K50 reports, I don't see anything concerning. Even with the K50 I don't know that a high percentage of owners had any issue.
07-10-2016, 07:11 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Someone is offering me a newly bought K-S2 + $100 swap against my K-5ii's + DA70, (I am hoping I can ask about $200 instead) I thought I need a tilting screen and would like to have the same battery system with my still existing K-30. Moreover, I like a smaller and lighter camera but I cannot afford to swap system.

My K-30 is not frustrating in producing excellent images aside from dark frames before it was repaired.

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Ummm, with the distinct lack of others reporting "dark frames" on their KS2, unlike K50 reports, I don't see anything concerning. Even with the K50 I don't know that a high percentage of owners had any issue.
I hope so.
07-11-2016, 02:33 AM   #44
Oricman

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
What part of your experience is frustrating?
Nailing focus?
Getting exposure correct??
Something else???
Exposures are variable often coming out too dark in bright sunny conditions. Focus is not good. I've tried setting up focusing using a focusing chart. I can up the f stops but then the bokeh is effected. Even then images don't come out too sharp.
I think part of the problem is the kit lenses aren't that good. I got a Sigma 17-70 which has better macro but a get similar problems with focusing.

I've got improved results with Raw processing but I find it hard to keep the colours right in Raw and often prefer the balance of the Jpeg output.

The sensor in the K30 should give improved results over a 1/2.3" point-and-shoot, but the wonky exposure and poor sharpness make me want to chuck the K30 in a lake.
07-11-2016, 03:35 AM   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Exposures are variable often coming out too dark in bright sunny conditions. Focus is not good. I've tried setting up focusing using a focusing chart. I can up the f stops but then the bokeh is effected. Even then images don't come out too sharp.
I think part of the problem is the kit lenses aren't that good. I got a Sigma 17-70 which has better macro but a get similar problems with focusing.

I've got improved results with Raw processing but I find it hard to keep the colours right in Raw and often prefer the balance of the Jpeg output.

A lot of things there that give me the impression you need a photography course more than gear, Oricman!