Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2016, 11:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

KS2 for Weddings and events?

Hi all,

I use my K3 for events and weddings however I've considered getting a KS2 as a back up. I'm still considering a K1 but adding the cost of the camera and FF glass with the added weight, I'm wondering if it's worth it. Another K3 or K3II is interesting but I like the articulated screen on the KS2.

Any thoughts?

Thank you
John

05-17-2016, 12:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Articulated screen can be nice, really like the one on the k-1.

However, for a backup camera for weddings I would personally prefer the same camera. If the main camera dies in the middle of something, this is a stressful situation. Trying to adjust to unfamiliar controls at that point would be even more stressful. So for me I would get another k-3 or k-3II.
05-17-2016, 12:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

also, a backup up camera tends to become your second "main" camera. you will quite possibly find yourself with a medium tele zoom on one, like a 70-200 and a wider 24-70-ish on the other. rather than switch lenses on one body, you'll just grab the applicable body with a lens pre-attached.

you want to maintain pixel count, bit depth, etc when doing things like weddings, especially. most people won't notice, but some will. I would not want to be the photographer who has to explain why some pics look "better" than others because I had to use a backup camera that was not to the same specs.
05-17-2016, 12:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good call guys

jatrax - how do you find the weight of the K1?

05-17-2016, 12:57 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I have the K-3II. The AF and image quality/detail are great. I would not see why a K-1 would not be an excellent alternative for a backup or primary camera though. It would give you a variety to your capability providing more opportunity types.
05-17-2016, 01:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I agree go with another K3 or K3II so it becomes second nature when you go to pick up either camera. When I first started I used a K5 and K-x
With 16-50 and 50-135 and it was kind of a PITA to have to use a K-x because you have to think before you take the shot.
Now I use a K5 II/16-50 with Cactus RF 60 and K5 IIs/50-135 with Cactus V6 strapped to a black rapid double, and it is such a pleasure to not have to second guess anything, it just becomes 2nd Nature.
05-17-2016, 06:18 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A K-S2 would make for a nice backup. Of course, the K-3 is a mature product and priced nicely these days ... that would be the perfect backup!

05-17-2016, 10:08 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
jatrax - how do you find the weight of the K1?
Noticeably heavier than the K-3II but a part of that is the DFA 24-70 I have mounted. I do not see the weight as a problem for my shooting style. I got used to it quickly. The larger grip length allows all fingers on the grip unlike previous cameras where my pinky hung in thin air. That alone makes the additional weight very manageable.
05-17-2016, 11:25 PM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
The KS2 should do fine. But lacks the remote master flash capabilities of the K3, if that is important to you. Also the K3 has lots of dedicated controls and levers .. like for your metering mode, single point/selectable point autofocusing mode etc. You've got to access these through the quick menu aka info button on the KS2.
Cheers
Andrew
06-19-2016, 10:32 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
... However, for a backup camera for weddings I would personally prefer the same camera. If the main camera dies in the middle of something, this is a stressful situation. Trying to adjust to unfamiliar controls at that point would be even more stressful. So for me I would get another k-3 or k-3II.
I guess this point would depend on how much the OP uses controls {that differ} in the middle of a shoot. I know that the controls I actually use are very similar between my Q-7 and my K-30.

BTW - since this thread began, the K-70 has also become a candidate.