Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2016, 07:59 PM   #1
Forum Member

All my shots are dark

Hi Folk,

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to camera and photography. So I might not be using the correct terminology.

Recently when I take a picture all I get is a dark to black frame. And it seems like fellow user Flimamigo has the same issue.

Even if I leave it in Auto or selected SCN, I'm still getting the same sort of dark shot. I have tried both my 18-55 and 50-200 lens. There is even a delay in when taking a picture in Auto mode.

Any and all suggestions would help.

Here the link to the fellow user Flimamigo's post
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/184-pentax-k-s1-k-s2/320993-dark-frames-k-s2.html

Attached is a sample shot that I took in the afternoon.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
05-19-2016, 08:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dahabit Quote
Hi Folk,

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to camera and photography. So I might not be using the correct terminology.

Recently when I take a picture all I get is a dark to black frame. And it seems like fellow user Flimamigo has the same issue.

Even if I leave it in Auto or selected SCN, I'm still getting the same sort of dark shot. I have tried both my 18-55 and 50-200 lens. There is even a delay in when taking a picture in Auto mode.

Any and all suggestions would help.

Here the link to the fellow user Flimamigo's post
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/184-pentax-k-s1-k-s2/320993-dark-frames-k-s2.html

Attached is a sample shot that I took in the afternoon.
Did you read all of the responses to Flimamigo's post? I thought the responses were as complete as we could do at the time {I even contributed a few words}. It would be helpful to me if you would explain here what you don't understand in that thread .

I know this sounds like a tiresome response, but it would help if you would read the following threads about a known problem with the K-30 and K-50 that this unfortunately sounds like:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/315725-dark-exposure...-me-first.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/307695-k-30-black-fr...sible-fix.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/311409-my-k50-kaput.html
05-19-2016, 09:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
According to the EXIF on that file, you're using a manual exposure mode? Have you considered either using the green button to meter? or use a mode other than M? Your 50-200 should meter just fine in say Av or Auto?
05-19-2016, 10:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Having spent the past hour on other things, mostly cleaning up images from scanned slides, I've decided that wasn't precise enough. If I were you, I would go through the first post in the thread

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/315725-dark-exposure...-me-first.html

as though I had a K-50. I really really really hope this isn't that problem again ... but at this point you should go through his procedure and either eliminate that as an issue or leave it as a possibility. If it is a possibility, the only true cure involves sending it back to Pentax for warranty service {if you are still under warranty} or repair; apart from repair, the only other solution I know of is to treat it as a totally manual M42 system - I am prepared for that possibility with my K-30, but I do really really really hope that won't be an issue here.

05-20-2016, 09:29 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
According to the EXIF on that file, you're using a manual exposure mode? Have you considered either using the green button to meter? or use a mode other than M? Your 50-200 should meter just fine in say Av or Auto?
I forgot to mention, in my original post that if I take a shot in Manual mode then switch to Auto, for some reason all the setting from manual mode gets carried over to the auto mode. It's just the weirdest thing. As I mentioned in my original post, when I'm in auto mode there is actually a delay when the camera takes the picture.

Also, after making this post yesterday I put it on Auto HDR and took a few pictures and everything seemed normal.
So I'm not sure what the heck is going on. I still feel like I should send it it.
05-20-2016, 01:58 PM   #6

As I mentioned in my original post, when I'm in auto mode there is actually a delay when the camera takes the picture.
Have you got the camera set so that it won't take a picture unless it's in focus? Or have you got the timer set?
05-20-2016, 02:22 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
F9 and 1/250 at ISO 2000 should be nearly blown out regardless of the mode that got you there.

I would set the exposure compensation back to zero if it is not, for a baseline setting while you work it out.

I had the very, very occasional same issue in my K5 that I never figured out, but it only happened a couple times in its life, so it was not really a bother as yours is.

05-20-2016, 10:51 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
F9 and 1/250 at ISO 2000 should be nearly blown out regardless of the mode that got you there.

I would set the exposure compensation back to zero if it is not, for a baseline setting while you work it out.

I had the very, very occasional same issue in my K5 that I never figured out, but it only happened a couple times in its life, so it was not really a bother as yours is.
Same thing happened today. All shots were coming out dark so I put in Auto HDR took a few snaps, and all of a sudden everything seemed normal. I'm wondering if it's the software.
05-21-2016, 04:38 AM   #9

Same thing happened today. All shots were coming out dark so I put in Auto HDR took a few snaps, and all of a sudden everything seemed normal.
What do you mean by "Auto HDR"?
05-21-2016, 10:43 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clothears Quote
What do you mean by "Auto HDR"?
It's the A-HDR on the wheel.
Attached Images

05-21-2016, 03:09 PM   #11

It's the A-HDR on the wheel.
That doesn't help at all, I'm afraid. What does this mode do ?
05-21-2016, 03:24 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clothears Quote
That doesn't help at all, I'm afraid. What does this mode do ?
From the forum review:
"The K-S2 has a new mode dial setting: A-HDR, or Advanced HDR. We are still in the process of testing this shooting mode, but in a nutshell, the camera will automatically take and combine 3 photos to create a strong HDR image with a surreal look. This mode only outputs JPEGs. Automatic compensation of camera shake is included."
05-21-2016, 04:25 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
From the forum review:
"The K-S2 has a new mode dial setting: A-HDR, or Advanced HDR. We are still in the process of testing this shooting mode, but in a nutshell, the camera will automatically take and combine 3 photos to create a strong HDR image with a surreal look. This mode only outputs JPEGs. Automatic compensation of camera shake is included."
My Q-7 has an in-camera HDR as one of the "scenes", but the results look normal, not "surreal".
05-21-2016, 07:18 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My Q-7 has an in-camera HDR as one of the "scenes", but the results look normal, not "surreal".
Yeah, I don't think Q7 HDR and KS2 AHDR are supposed to be the same.
05-21-2016, 11:30 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I wonder if the AHDR takes three shots back to back.
This would be similar to using burst mode to loosen up a bad aperture drive.