Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2016, 02:10 PM   #1

K-2S as K30 successor

My K30 was recently stolen. I was happy with this camera and would not have replaced it yet for many year to come. As I have a 7 weeks old baby, I don't want to wait too much. I would love to have a K3(II), but the lack of KAF4 or flash make them both a no go. The specs of the K70 look good. However, I am not sure what "A shipping date for the K-70 will be announced in July" actually means. I probably would have to wait too long. Wat do you think? Announcement in july, available in August? Has a statement like this precedent in the past?

An alternative is the K2-S, which seems like a worth successor of my K30. Did anyone have both? How do they compare? The only thing I did not like about the K30 and Pentax in general is the autofocus, especially with HSM lensen of sigma. The review of K-S2 on this site says: "It dim light, its class-leading viewfinder autofocus can take over and deliver decisive focusing capabilities even if you can hardly see your subject ". Is this true? I have some experience with Nikon and compared to that, Pentax is anything, but class-leading in auto-focus. So how is the auto-focus of the K-S2. Is it notably better than on the K30? (like wow, better?).

06-14-2016, 02:16 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JXL Quote
So how is the auto-focus of the K-S2. Is it notably better than on the K30? (like wow, better?).
In low-light, yes. Refer to the K-5 II review for more details.

I would go for the K-S2 (not K2-S ), as it's very similar to the new K-70 and already a very big upgrade over the K-30, plus a great value at the current price.

An August shipping date for the K-70 sounds feasible. I suspect that the delay is in part caused by the recent earthquakes.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-14-2016, 03:06 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I upgraded from a K-30 to a K-S2. Honestly, everything about the K-S2 seems to be an upgrade. The camera is simply faster and more responsive in all aspect. Menus are faster, deleting is faster, AF is faster. Plus I have found some situations where the flip out screen was very handy.
06-14-2016, 03:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
In low-light, yes. Refer to the K-5 II review for more details.

I would go for the K-S2 (not K2-S ), as it's very similar to the new K-70 and already a very big upgrade over the K-30, plus a great value at the current price.

An August shipping date for the K-70 sounds feasible. I suspect that the delay is in part caused by the recent earthquakes.
Seriously great value.

Pentax K-S2 DSLR Camera with 18-50mm & 50-200mm Lenses 13218

Eric

06-14-2016, 05:32 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-S2 is an outstanding little camera. My wife has one and it is almost as good as my K-3II.
It has WiFi if that is important to you and it is very quick and responsive. The only drawbacks in my book are, 1/6000 top shutter speed and does not use the same battery as my K-3II.
06-14-2016, 06:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I went from K-x to K-30 to K-S2. Each step I felt was a big improvement. The flippy screen alone is worth it to me, and the images just have a tiny bit more sparkle to them.
06-14-2016, 06:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
The flippy screen alone is worth it to me
nuff said.

06-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #8
JXL

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies everyone.