Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2016, 05:14 PM   #1
Forum Member

KS-2 Flash Setup

Hi All,

What kind of flash setup do you have for your KS-2? It seems like there is no wireless flash control.

So what are my options?

Thanks,

G

07-15-2016, 05:59 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can't use the on-board flash as the wireless controller, but I'm fairly certain you can use a P-TTL hotshoe flash like the AF 360 to pull it off.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-15-2016, 06:08 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You can't use the on-board flash as the wireless controller, but I'm fairly certain you can use a P-TTL hotshoe flash like the AF 360 to pull it off.
Amazon.ca is selling it for $370.00. Is there a cheaper alternative?
07-15-2016, 06:45 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by dahabit Quote
Amazon.ca is selling it for $370.00. Is there a cheaper alternative?
The Metz 48 or 52 potentially, those tend to run a little bit less.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-15-2016, 07:13 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Or the acon r930 pttl wireless trigger.
07-15-2016, 11:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
https://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-Wireless-Speedlite-Transmitter-Receiver/dp/B0...+trigger+flash

I don't use these myself, but I've heard they work well. It doesn't look like you can control flash power from the transmitter though which is a big deal for me. You can get the yn560-tx which gives you this capability, but that's $40 extra.

I've been using the Cactus V6's and I like these a lot. There's a review on this site that goes over most features. These are mid priced options (like $120 plus flash cost).

On the really cheap end are the models like this
https://www.amazon.com/WSPTGY1613-Channels-Wireless-Speedlite-Receiver/dp/B0...+trigger+flash

combined with the youngou flashes, and you've got a pretty decent set up. The thing you don't get with these though is group control and being able to adjust the power from your camera. Also not as reliable either.
07-17-2016, 03:10 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Or the acon r930 pttl wireless trigger.
Can you explain how it works? I have never used external flash.

Thanks,
07-17-2016, 04:17 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks,
A lot of threads talk about them in contrast with other flash triggers and I'm not an expert on it but the easiest way to conceputualize it is that it acts like a cable that is wireless. Your camera has the transmitter mounted on it and the receiver is mounted under under the flash.

07-17-2016, 04:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Thanks,
There are two units required, a transmitter that is mounted on the camera hotshoe and a receiver that the external flash is mounted on. Just to be clear, if you don't want to trigger your external flash away from your camera, you don't need this. Simply put your external flash on the camera hotshoe and you will have all the control over flash settings without having to get something else.

If you want to trigger your external flash while it is not mounted on your camera, then you need to have some method to trigger it remotely. It can be remotely triggered with a cable, with flashes of light or with radio waves. Then there is the question of controlling the external flash's settings remotely. P-TTL can adjust the power output of the external flash (by controlling the duration of the flash) according to your camera's light meter and programming. Any method of remote triggering that doesn't use P-TTL requires you to determine what settings should be used for your external flash, the Cactus V6 triggers can manually set power output remotely and it appears the Acon triggers can do manual control remotely as well as communicating settings from your camera remotely. Any type of trigger can tell your external flash when to fire.

I apologize if I am telling you something you already know, but what is different about the built-in flash in the K-S2 compared to earlier Pentax DSLRs is that the previous models with built-in flash could communicate with P-TLL capable external flashes using very short light bursts. This is what is referred to as "pre-flash." On the earlier models you could also set the built-in flash to be a controller only, where the light output was reduced to only communicate with the external flash, or it could contribute to the total flash lighting for the photograph. The built-in flash on the K-S2 can only work by itself, if you want to use another flash (either in combination with the built-in flash or by itself), you can't use the K-S2's built-in flash.
07-17-2016, 05:56 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Forgive me but my understanding is that "pre-flash" is the burst fired to measure the light conditions not the communication of this data to remote flashes. My expectation has always been that post preflash measurement a coded flash was sent right after the calculation. I was never certain if this info was coded in the main flash phase or not but I assumed it was part of the main phase of the triggering unit.

In any case preflash still happens with the KS2 just no control info is encoded to control a remote flash.
07-17-2016, 07:45 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
In any case preflash still happens with the KS2 just no control info is encoded to control a remote flash.
I think someone on this forum decoded most of the P-TTL "wireless" protocol, but it was a couple of years ago and I'm going on memory. You are right, there is a pre-flash to allow the camera to meter the scene whenever P-TTL is used, regardless of the triggering mechanism, which is separate from any red-eye "pre-flash," but I'm pretty sure the P-TTL communication must also occur before the shutter is triggered. It just depends what you want to call "pre-flash" and what you want to call something else that happens before the flash fires.