Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2016, 03:47 AM   #1

Pentax K-S2 and Sigma 50-200mm F4-5.6 DC OS HSM lens

Hi there,

I recently purchased a K-S2 body, and am trying it out with my lens collection.

For some reason, my Sigma 50-200 4-5.6 HSM acts weird. It sometimes works, but very often it won't focus, and the indications in the viewfinder go berzerk.

The lens works flawlessly on my Samsung GX-10 (Aka Pentax K10d), and all my other lenses work fine on the K-S2 (although the Sigma is the only one with a built-in focus motor)

Anyone experienced something similar?

Regards,

Peter.

08-03-2016, 05:11 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd contact Sigma to see if the lens needs a firmware update. I know that there can sometimes be issues specifically in live view.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-06-2016, 05:37 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd contact Sigma to see if the lens needs a firmware update. I know that there can sometimes be issues specifically in live view.
Don't think that is possible. At least, my lens is not mentioned in the list of compatible lenses for the Sigma USB dock, which is needed for updating firmware.
Anyway, I have updated the firmware in my K-S2 (was still the original 1.00 version). Maybe that helps. Can't check it right now, as I have lent the lens to my daughter.
08-06-2016, 01:40 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter van Baarle Quote
Don't think that is possible. At least, my lens is not mentioned in the list of compatible lenses for the Sigma USB dock, which is needed for updating firmware.
Anyway, I have updated the firmware in my K-S2 (was still the original 1.00 version). Maybe that helps. Can't check it right now, as I have lent the lens to my daughter.
That's for updating the firmware at home. Older lenses can only be updated by a Sigma service center, so I would still contact them to see what they say.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-07-2016, 10:20 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That's for updating the firmware at home. Older lenses can only be updated by a Sigma service center, so I would still contact them to see what they say.
Thanks. I have sent the supplier of the camera a mail, see how they can help.
In the mean time I did some more tests. Firmware update of the camera did not help.
Seems the problem only happens between certain focal lenghts (between approx. 90 and 100mm and 150 and 200mm. Outside these areas the lens works correctly.
Also, when passing the abovementioned positions, the image shifts a little bit vertical, and a mechanical sound is heard.
09-26-2016, 09:53 AM   #6

Original Poster
Update:
Today I went to Sigma Benelux, who were able to update the firmware of the lens. That did solve my problem.
Lens works like a charm now.