Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2016, 01:35 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
How does "Custom Color Temperature" on K-S2 work?

In general the lower K value is, the warmer the environment is. The same goes for the higher K value. (is it?)

However in the camera it works conversely: the photo gets warmer with lower K value.

How does it come about?

08-07-2016, 02:25 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I no longer have a K-S2 to test with, but on the K-1 higher temp values are definitely warmer. A bug, perhaps?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-07-2016, 04:03 AM   #3

Lower K values correspond to a shift towards reds, while higher K values shift colors towards blue. This is because black bodies emit more short-wavelength light (i.e., more blue) at higher temperatures. The color data captured by the sensor is referenced to the color temperature to determine the balance across the spectrum.
08-07-2016, 05:34 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I no longer have a K-S2 to test with, but on the K-1 higher temp values are definitely warmer. A bug, perhaps?
@Adam: That's exactly what I'm wondering. I thought a higher K value should match more cool color before putting out this topic because it works so on the monitor.
aremmes (under your reply) gives his answer.

QuoteOriginally posted by aremmes Quote
Lower K values correspond to a shift towards reds, while higher K values shift colors towards blue. This is because black bodies emit more short-wavelength light (i.e., more blue) at higher temperatures. The color data captured by the sensor is referenced to the color temperature to determine the balance across the spectrum.
@aremmes: So this function acts like color tone correction to adjust color deviation or to create a special effect? Seems I get something new

08-07-2016, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by FanFanD Quote
@aremmes: So this function acts like color tone correction to adjust color deviation or to create a special effect? Seems I get something new
It does indeed help to correct for color deviation caused by differences in light sources. An ideal light source would emit light spread evenly over the visible light spectrum, but outside of the Sun most lights deviate from that in sometimes drastic ways, with the most obvious effect being that whites don't look quite as white as intended. The color temperature setting exists to help cope with that.