Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2016, 01:15 AM   #1

K-S1 firmware upgrade to 1.20

No problem in doing this, just slightly interesting. When I went to do it, the battery was showing just less than full, so I charged it for an hour and it showed full. The upgrade process, however, complained that there was not enough power in the battery to complete the upgrade. So I charged it for another hour and then it went OK.

08-08-2016, 01:25 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, the battery status isn't all that accurate in my experience, and I've had similar situations with mirror up for sensor cleaning.
08-08-2016, 01:26 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The indicator in the camera is a pretty rough estimate. The battery isn't fully charged until the light on the charger goes out

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-08-2016, 03:02 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The indicator in the camera is a pretty rough estimate. The battery isn't fully charged until the light on the charger goes out
Why does the updating process need the battery fully charged? Or is the voltage slightly higher at full charge and is needed so it can write the EPROM?

08-08-2016, 03:37 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Clothears Quote
Why does the updating process need the battery fully charged? Or is the voltage slightly higher at full charge and is needed so it can write the EPROM?
To reduce the risk of bricking (a low quality / not fully charged battery could cause glitches). A good move on Pentax's part, IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-08-2016, 05:44 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I got the same from my K-S2, stated that the battery was low. Belt and braces from pentax, must have been installed on release 1.11.
08-08-2016, 08:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
With .the bin zip file loaded to SD card, "Updates the camera firmware" DOES NOT appear in the LCD monitor when I turn the camera on while pressing menu. The camera simply turns on to the normal LCD display. Trying to go from 1.10 to 1.20. What am I missing here. never had a firmware update problem before.

08-09-2016, 01:34 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
With .the bin zip file loaded to SD card, "Updates the camera firmware" DOES NOT appear in the LCD monitor when I turn the camera on while pressing menu. The camera simply turns on to the normal LCD display.
Where did you put the .bin file?

1) I connected the camera to the Mac

2) I made sure I'd copied all pix to the Mac

3) I disconnected the camera, reformatted the SD card, reconnected the camera

4) I dragged the .bin file into the now-empty window for the SD card.

5) Proceeded to update (with a full battery), no problem

Simples.
08-09-2016, 01:49 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do not put the .zip file on the SD card - you must first extract it to a .bin file, then save it to the root directory of the SD card.
08-09-2016, 01:02 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Do not put the .zip file on the SD card - you must first extract it to a .bin file, then save it to the root directory of the SD card.
Correct, I did that. I did everything correctly. Finally I simply retyped the .bin file name, and it worked. Don't know why.
08-11-2016, 11:56 PM   #11

I've downloaded the self extracting zip file for K-S1 firmware v1.20 and am worried the file has exactly the same name as the one for firmware v1.10, ie: 'fwdc226b.bin'. How can this be? The v1.20 file is dated 28 Jul 2016, the v1.10 is 26 Mar 2015

Further, it seems the v1.20 firmware only relates to using lenses requiring the new mount (electronic aperture coupling?), so unless I buy a future new lens, I can give it a miss?

Any comments would be appreciated

Jasbee
08-12-2016, 12:17 AM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by houseofstyles Quote
I've downloaded the self extracting zip file for K-S1 firmware v1.20 and am worried the file has exactly the same name as the one for firmware v1.10, ie: 'fwdc226b.bin'. How can this be? The v1.20 file is dated 28 Jul 2016, the v1.10 is 26 Mar 2015

Further, it seems the v1.20 firmware only relates to using lenses requiring the new mount (electronic aperture coupling?), so unless I buy a future new lens, I can give it a miss?
Don't worry, that's correct - the update file should have exactly the same name regardless of version. For better or worse, this is how the camera recognises that it's the right file for that model.

If you don't need KAF4 lens compatibility, there's no real need to update. That said, the update may include general stability tweaks, so - even if you don't need the added lens compatibility - you might still want to install the new version. It's up to you
08-12-2016, 05:41 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by houseofstyles Quote

Any comments would be appreciated

Jasbee
The 1.20 file is 'fwdc225b.bin' not 'fwdc226b.bin', I think . . . . In any case, mine finally loaded, except that my K-S2 required several start-ups holding menu button down before I got the update screen. It went several times to just normal shooting mode.
08-12-2016, 07:33 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
The 1.20 file is 'fwdc225b.bin' not 'fwdc226b.bin', I think . . . . In any case, mine finally loaded, except that my K-S2 required ...
This is about the K-S1, not K-S2, so you'd expect the filename to be different.
08-12-2016, 01:27 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clothears Quote
This is about the K-S1, not K-S2, so you'd expect the filename to be different.
Aha! I see now. My oversight.