Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2016, 10:40 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-s2 and interesting case of non wr lens consequence.

The trouble is all cleared up but it was interesting.
July 25 I took my k-s2 out with a m42 lens on it. I knew there would be a brief rain so I took a plastic bag with me. I frequently go on bike rides around New Orleans and the takamur lenses are light and a bag goes in my pocket. The rain came and I packed up and got to dry ground no problem. Then the rain wrapped up with just a sprinkling so I figured I could walk around with my kit. Yes some drops landed on my camera but just drops . If more than a few landed on the camera or lens I wiped them off with my shirt like always. However all of a sudden the back screen stopped working. I kept shooting and the card captured everything. I don't think I could set the focal length for SR though.
I am pretty sure a drop landed right at the lens connection. The pretty open m42 adapter must have taken a direct hit from a raindrop. It seems that capillary action pulled this drop into and through the camera to the back right bottom of the camera. I took the lens off and lightly covered the body so it could air out. After a couple of days I found the screen would come on briefly and stop but a little shake of the camera would get it briefly back on. Exploring more I found that pressing by the menu button, it would stay on. As I tested it and held the camera this spot would move around towards the hdmi input side. I left the camera but tipped it face down for a few days. Now the screen worked better but still it was iffy. I now had to press by the thumb grip to have the screen and functions constant but after a little while I had to press at the bottom again.
The problem is gone now a few weeks on. It had to be water that sucked itself through the camera. I could displace it so it wouldn't short the screen and controls but it was persistent.
I have had the 40mm xs on the camera with a downpour and just held the camera down with no problem but a little rain and m42 adapter was a prolonged problem. If water gets in it takes forever to get out. It seems water wicks its way in where air cannot get it back out.
So the camera is fine and I won't take m42 lenses out with any rain at all anymore. The connection is way too open. I will still use non wr lenses in light rain but will be much more careful unless I use my wr lenses.
That is my story. A few weeks of shooting without feedback for a drop or two of rain. Its mostly interesting to me how the water moved around inside the camera but wouldn't leave.

08-09-2016, 11:32 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
So the camera is fine and I won't take m42 lenses out with any rain at all anymore. The connection is way too open.
It depends upon the lens. Most should snug up tight to the camera's mount flange to provide a seal equivalent to what they would have on an M42 body. The hitch comes with certain FSU (former Soviet) lenses that have unusually narrow mount face* and other lenses that do not fully extend over the body's mount contacts allowing for water entry at those points.

Steve

* Those lenses will typically "rock" back and forth on the mount and generally require some sort of bolster or shim to avoid light leaks and assure consistent focus.
08-09-2016, 12:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I have the takumar 150 and 28. They show the contacts. I should check for light leakage. I have been thinking all my bad light which is not uncommon was coatings but maybe not. I hope so because its an easy fix. I need to go for a bike ride today. Heavy rain the rest of the week.