Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2016, 08:13 PM   #1

Bug

Hi there:
Today I was searching for subjects to take some pictures and I found a bug in my KS2. Not a software or mechanical one, but a real one.
Some kind of little insect (1 mm I guess) was crawling on the focusing scereen.
Blowing gave no results, so I think it is wandering on the upper surface.
How a bug gets inside of the camera? And how do I get it out of there? Hope i is not laying eggs and produce an infection.

Greetings:

Oscar.

08-20-2016, 09:28 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Insects can be quiet for long periods of time, even years, just like some plant seed. It's maybe there for longer time than you would think...

1.) Remove the lens, leave the body unprotected for 30' and the bug crawls in
2.) remove the protective cap from the mount side on the lens, bug flies, drops, crawls and it's on the wrong side of the lens - once you attach the lens, the insect gets inside the camera

If I had to fight it, I'd try shaking the sensor (dust removal function during on/off) plus do some continous firing action with the lens removed, and body opening looking down, use the brush for mirror cleaning if you have one, use the special blower (very carefully not to do more damage and wish that bug was the only thing that went wrong!) and the most brutal approach, use a vacuum nylon bag (the one you can suck the air out to reduce it's content's volume - I think every household has these - if not, then they should) put the camera in, suck the air out with a vacuum cleaner and once your camera body is sealed, put it straight to the freezer to kill the pest.

You are not the first one with a problem like this:
How do I kill an insect crawling inside my viewfinder - Photo.net Nikon Forum
https://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/tiny-bugs-inside-the-camera-----71513
Be Careful When Changing Lenses Outside: Bugs Will Poop Inside Your Camera
08-21-2016, 12:54 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Probably a thrip. They are a real pain here in UK. They've managed to get behind the glass of all my PC/monitors over the years. I now keep a double bag over my main screen, when not in use ;-), and in the summer i have to be vigilant about ventilating my office to keep 'em out. The irritation of watching one crawling behind the glass of 1000 screen was immense. If it happens do not squash them ! Try and guide them to the edge with a torch. They die easily. At the edge is less annoying than bang in the middle.
08-21-2016, 02:28 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
If it's a thrip, get one "minute pirate bug" (Orius, for example) and it will hunt the thrip down and eat it and leave your camera hunting for more. Orius is small, around 2-3mm and will not stay in the camera unless there's more food, thus, will not poop around making more damage. The pirate bugs also feed on thrip eggs, so, no surprises in the future. Very helpful bugs in the backyard, not so common in DSLR cameras