Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2016, 10:16 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Relatively best shooting settings for K-s2 with the 18 - 50 mm kit lens?

Anyone have recommendations on what iso, aperture, and shutter speed to use when shooting in different environments like

indoors, dimly lit areas, moving objects, bright days

09-29-2016, 10:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The camera has built-in scene modes to make shooting easy in various situations.

For shooting in P, manual, and semi-manual modes, I'd recommend you take a look at this:
The Fundamentals of Exposure - Introduction - In-Depth Articles

The right settings will definitely change depending on the ambient conditions.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-29-2016, 10:23 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The camera has built-in scene modes to make shooting easy in various situations.

For shooting in P, manual, and semi-manual modes, I'd recommend you take a look at this:
The Fundamentals of Exposure - Introduction - In-Depth Articles

The right settings will definitely change depending on the ambient conditions.
thanks
09-29-2016, 11:17 PM - 1 Like   #4
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

If you are using a post-processing program that has adequate noise reduction applications I would suggest shooting around 400-1600 ISO, higher for low light conditions.

As for aperture, for low light conditions, I often shoot as wide open as possible with a depth of field I wish to achieve (higher ISO may be required with greater apertures).

For shutter speed, generally, faster is always better, unless you're going for art-sey results. Usually, slow shutter speeds suck, and either a higher ISO or lesser aperture is required to eliminate motion blur. Usually pump up ISO (at the expense of noise) or aperture ( at the expense of narrow DoF) to achieve sufficent high shutter speeds.

I recommend shooting in Av mode (aperture value). Set your ISO to an acceptable noise level, as low of aperture to achieve your desired DoF and let your shutter speed be as fast as possible.

I also recommend back-button focusing and continuous auto focusing.

09-30-2016, 03:28 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The main point of a DSLR is to give the photographer a lot of options, so the photographer can use their skill and knowledge to adapt to the situation and make the photo that they want to make.
Sometimes you want shallow depth of field, sometimes you want massive depth of field, sometimes you want a dark photo, sometimes you want a bright photo, sometimes you want motion blur, other times you want panning blur, or no blur at all, sometimes you want warm or cool colours, and so on and so on.
In full Auto mode, the camera makes these choices for you and gets results that are acceptable but rarely spectacular. The scene modes are a little more specialized and can give you better results. P mode is fairly automatic, but gives the user some options. Av and Tv modes give you more finesse to choose what you want. Finally there is M, which is not used always, but can give you results no other mode can, if you know exactly what you are doing.
So, start learning Plenty of books, blogs and youtube videos. Start with Exposure, then learn what Aperture and shutter and ISO do, what effects they have, and how to manipulate them. Until then, use the Scene modes and P mode. Note that some scene modes are on the mode dial, but some more are selectable within the SCN option.
09-30-2016, 03:36 AM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

^^^ This is an excellent summary and great advice.

A good starting point would be to read the following short tutorial and experiment based on what you learn from it:

Camera Exposure: Aperture, ISO & Shutter Speed
11-14-2016, 06:19 PM   #7

The review of that lens on this site also has helpful information. I hadn't realized that picture quality was reduced at some settings until I read the review. The basics of exposure articles are great starting points, but within your many choices some settings are better than others for picture quality.

Last edited by toms957; 11-14-2016 at 06:20 PM. Reason: clarification