Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2017, 07:55 AM   #1

SanDisk memory card works on PC but says 'memory card error' in K-S2

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi,

I have just bought a new SanDisk Ultra 64GB SDXC class 10 memory card. When I put it into my K-S2 (only a few months old) it comes up with 'Memory card error'. If I try to format the card in the camera it says the same thing.

I popped it in a card reader to see if the card worked at all and it does work with my work PC. I have formatted it fine through the computer and put files onto it and it was all fine. But as soon as it's back in the camera it comes up with 'Memory card error'.

My other memory cards QUMOX 128GB SDXC and Integral 32GB SDHC work fine in the camera and on the PC. I know this suggests an issue with the SanDisk card but it doesn't seem to make sense that it works on the computer but not in the camera.

Any advice would be helpful. I can easily return the SanDisk card but I don't know whether to try and just exchange or if there is an incompatibility with that particular card (details here)

Thanks,

Kudzai

01-18-2017, 08:10 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What file system did you see when you formatted it on the computer? Can you try this SD Card Formatter - SD Association
01-18-2017, 08:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That card should be totally compatible with the K-S2. I'd probably conclude that it's defective and get it swapped. Formatting the card in camera should resolve any file system incompatibilities with the camera.
01-18-2017, 08:59 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Of all the SD cards I've had, only the SanDisc Ultra has caused me problems. Sometimes it would not write to the card, even though the images were on the camera.

01-18-2017, 09:31 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What file system did you see when you formatted it on the computer? Can you try this SD Card Formatter - SD Association
Hi,

I saw NTFS which said it was the default. I currently have the SD Card Formatter from SD Association running. It's taking an age! I'll see if that works and if not I will send it back.

I went with SanDisc as I wanted to go top-end so that it was less likely to mess up. Sods law!
01-18-2017, 09:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Download the Secure Digital Association own formatter at SD Card Formatter - SD Association and reformat. if you're using a Mac, let the machine dismount the card rather than just removing it.
01-18-2017, 10:29 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Also NTFS isn't supported in cameras. Use FAT32.

01-18-2017, 10:48 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlG Quote
if you're using a Mac, let the machine dismount the card rather than just removing it.
Same if you're using a PC. Just removing the card from the computer can corrupt the card.
02-08-2017, 09:34 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you all. It must have been the card as I got a replacement and it works okay. Thank you for your adivce!
02-15-2017, 09:03 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have had that problem turn up occasionally on my K1 and K3. What I do is put it back into my laptop. I get a message asking me if I want to repair the card. I click yes and problem solved and no loss of images.