Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2017, 07:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Questions about K-S2

So I finally get a Pentax KS-2, as an upgrade to my beloved K-x. I was considering the K3, K5ii, K70, K50 and KS2, but in the end I went for the KS2, as I like the form and weight of the Kx very much, and price/performance ratio speaking, an used KS2 at mint condition and a very good price was the best I could find.

Having received and played with it for a week, I have some questions that I would like to ask you:

- The seller claimed my KS2 is still under warranty until the end of 2017, however in the box, there is an warranty card but it is empty, no information written, there is no invoice too, so is there any way to check its warranty status on the web (like with the Apple's iPads, for example)?

- The camera worked perfectly, except for some dusts in the sensor, I have already blown away most of them, but there are still 1 or 2 stubborn dust, how do I get rid of them?

- Surprisingly, the KS2 seems to easily overexpose, much more frequent than with my Kx, I don't know if it is a common problem, I have to normally choose -1EV for every photo. I have updated the latest firmware too, but the problem persists.

- How to use focus peaking? I have enabled it in the menu, but I don't see any difference when focusing via Live view.

Thank you.

02-20-2017, 07:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

To focus peak in lv press ok and zoom with the rear dial.
After blowing the sensor i take a lens brush that i run a vacuum over to make sure its clean and build a static charge. Then i try to get as close to the sensor without touching it. If i do its ok but the static should pull most dust. Do it several times because it pulls dust from all inside.
02-20-2017, 08:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

My K-S2 exposes a little over too, and it varies from lens to lens. I mostly shoot -0.7EV, and make my adjustments in the RAW files. For low light it's -1.0 or more. I think the camera tries to make sure the shadow detail is in there, but in reality it just overexposes. At -0.7 there's still plenty of shadow detail in the RAWs.
02-20-2017, 08:49 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bui Quote
- The seller claimed my KS2 is still under warranty until the end of 2017, however in the box, there is an warranty card but it is empty, no information written, there is no invoice too, so is there any way to check its warranty status on the web
I don't think Pentax warranties are transferable. Even if they are, you would need the original invoice showing where/when purchased, if needing service.

Check this link:

http://us.ricoh-imaging.com/index.php/warranty-information

" are warranted by RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION to the original retail purchaser for a period of one year from date of purchase"

Last edited by csa; 02-20-2017 at 08:55 AM.
02-20-2017, 10:47 AM   #5
Forum Member

i have the same problem with my ks2 too.Overexposures about 2 or 2.3 EV with 70mm limited lens.
02-20-2017, 12:05 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you purchased it second hand, there is no warranty unless the original purchaser presents his receipt and initiates the claim.

Focus peaking highlights in focus edges (in white) in live view. It's especially useful when combined with magnification.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-23-2017, 12:59 AM   #7
Bui
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you very much for your help. So I understand that I can forget about remaining warranty period (which is not utterly important, I just wanted to check if the seller's claim is true). But considering the model is just 2 years olds, my camera is working well and the number of clicks is less than 5500 I guess it's ok.