Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2017, 01:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Getting aperture control block on my K-S2 :(

I wasn't even aware of this problem with some models until I did some searching.
Mine is nearly 2 years old, no warranty since I bought it from Amazon warehouse graded used very good, and it was as new.

It seems fine after that first black frame, once it did do a dark and then an overexposed one.
Just now turned it on and tried bracketed shots, 1st one black, the other 2 fine.
5K shutter count, never have updated the firmware.

I've been giving the KP a long hard look, but selling the S2 was going to help me finance it, if I went that route.
I do see an ad for fixing the 30, 50, et al for $100, guess I'll have to do that if/when it gets worse.

03-09-2017, 02:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

hmm Having 30 with this..and KS2 which is still fine...makes me worried.
03-09-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
hmm Having 30 with this..and KS2 which is still fine...makes me worried.
From what I was able to find it seems to be pretty rare, so far, with the K-S2.
It's only my guess that it is an ACB problem, but sure fits the description.
03-09-2017, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

really sorry to hear it! was hoping this was fixed with the K-S2 and K-70 models, but perhaps not. I've heard good things about that $100 repair option, though. Good luck!!

03-09-2017, 02:47 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I wasn't even aware of this problem with some models until I did some searching.
Mine is nearly 2 years old, no warranty since I bought it from Amazon warehouse graded used very good, and it was as new.

It seems fine after that first black frame, once it did do a dark and then an overexposed one.
Just now turned it on and tried bracketed shots, 1st one black, the other 2 fine.
5K shutter count, never have updated the firmware.

I've been giving the KP a long hard look, but selling the S2 was going to help me finance it, if I went that route.
I do see an ad for fixing the 30, 50, et al for $100, guess I'll have to do that if/when it gets worse.
Sorry to hear that, Bob It does indeed sound like the early stages of the aperture block issue.

The K-S2 is such a nice camera that I think the $100 fix is worthwhile. I'd certainly opt for that if I was in your situation. Let us know if and when you take the plunge?
03-09-2017, 02:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Sorry to hear that, Bob It does indeed sound like the early stages of the aperture block issue.

The K-S2 is such a nice camera that I think the $100 fix is worthwhile. I'd certainly opt for that if I was in your situation. Let us know if and when you take the plunge?
Thanks Mike, will do.
I bought it with the kit lens for $600, sold the lens for $200, so the pain is not unbearable, but it is the first real problem with any of the several Pentax cameras I have owned over the years, or the four that I still own.
03-09-2017, 03:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear this. I don't own any of the affected cameras, but I hear that you can still use lenses with an aperture ring (M-lenses, Taks, etc). Maybe give it a try.

03-09-2017, 03:29 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think we'll start to see a lot more of these once the K-S2's hit the 2-3 year old mark. Same pattern as the K-30/K-50/K-500.

It's disappointing for sure, but the good news is it is fixable for a modest amount or many people are fixing it themselves.
Otherwise these are great capable cameras that are worth fixing and they seem to be otherwise reliable.
03-21-2017, 08:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update.
This morning it took several rapid fire shots before the dark/black frames cleared up.
Glad my KP is on a brown truck and coming to my house this afternoon.
03-21-2017, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Update.
This morning it took several rapid fire shots before the dark/black frames cleared up.
Oh dear. That's not great news, Bob...

Glad my KP is on a brown truck and coming to my house this afternoon.
... but that is!!

I was at The Photography Show in Birmingham, yesterday, and I got to handle and try a KP for the first time. It's excellent. Look and feel is superb as is fit and finish, weight is just right, AF seemed fast... I think you're going to love it
03-21-2017, 09:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was at The Photography Show in Birmingham, yesterday, and I got to handle and try a KP for the first time. It's excellent. Look and feel is superb as is fit and finish, weight is just right, AF seemed fast... I think you're going to love it
That's very encouraging!
I've never worried much about how a camera looks. but the KP, IMO, is a real beauty, and the feature set looks top notch.
04-15-2017, 05:48 AM   #12

Just bought a K-S2 and after reading this i am quite worried
04-15-2017, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wizhunter Quote
Just bought a K-S2 and after reading this i am quite worried
I wouldn't concern yourself. Just enjoy the camera

In the grand scheme of things, so far as we can tell, it's a relatively small (though, admittedly, not insignificant) number of cameras that seem to have developed an issue.

We place a lot of importance on our camera bodies, it seems, when the really important part is the lens or lenses. The camera body is just a digital "back" for them, to be used then replaced or upgraded as and when necessary. If one of my camera bodies were to die or develop a fault outside of warranty, I'd be disappointed for sure, but no more than that. I'd feel much worse if one of my better lenses had problems...
04-15-2017, 07:43 AM   #14

I wouldn't concern yourself. Just enjoy the camera

In the grand scheme of things, so far as we can tell, it's a relatively small (though, admittedly, not insignificant) number of cameras that seem to have developed an issue.

We place a lot of importance on our camera bodies, it seems, when the really important part is the lens or lenses. The camera body is just a digital "back" for them, to be used then replaced or upgraded as and when necessary. If one of my camera bodies were to die or develop a fault outside of warranty, I'd be disappointed for sure, but no more than that. I'd feel much worse if one of my better lenses had problems...
Thanks for putting my mind at ease Mike, I have decided to sell all my other Canon gear and put my faith in Pentax, After reading nothing but good reviews on the K-S2 i decided to jump straight in even though the brand isn't as popular as the main 2. Had an old Pentax film camera many moons ago and loved it. Just waiting for it to be delivered and the waiting is killing me lol.
04-15-2017, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wizhunter Quote
Thanks for putting my mind at ease Mike, I have decided to sell all my other Canon gear and put my faith in Pentax, After reading nothing but good reviews on the K-S2 i decided to jump straight in even though the brand isn't as popular as the main 2. Had an old Pentax film camera many moons ago and loved it. Just waiting for it to be delivered and the waiting is killing me lol.
You're welcome

Canon makes great gear, no doubt, and I don't think anyone can honestly claim one brand is that much better than another these days. That said, I'm a huge Pentax fan - I've been shooting Pentax digital since 2010, and have nothing but good things to say about the cameras and lenses. They're really very, very good indeed.

I'm sure you'll love the K-S2 (congrats, by the way!). It is capable of stunning results. We have a lot of K-S2 owners here, so you'll be in good company