Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2017, 07:41 AM   #16

Not felt this excited about a Camera for ages, obviously everything about the K-S2 will be different from the Canon's i have got used but i love a new challenge which i wasn't getting with Canon anymore, a lot of the upgrades on their models was pretty much older gear put into a new model, for example:- I have the 650D which in itself is a pretty good camera, then they brought the 700D out, and the only difference was the mode dial that could turn 360 degree's, yet people were rushing out spending extra money just for that. I like to see proper advancements in photography lol.

04-18-2017, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #17

Photos: Gallery
Hi, I've had my K-S2 for nearly 3 years and about 26K shutter count. No issues at all yet. Its a great camera and to be honest if it gives me another year of service I'll be pleased. It will be due for an upgrade by then. From what I've read and watched the K70 seems to be better value than the KP.
04-21-2017, 03:24 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@ Wizhunter- wait until you try out the exclusive Pentax Hyper System, which allows instant changes to be made in shutter speed or aperture by just using the thumb and finger dials, even when in Program mode, then for instant return to full Program with a touch of the green button. All without even having to take your eye from the VF. Also instant exposure set in Manual mode by using the green button.

I also recommend setting "fine" sharpening. With the K-S2, hit the info button to bring up the control panel, the custom image section will be right there, "Bright" is default. Hit ok for access and info again to get into menu for adjustments. I use v and >, bump up sharpening by one notch on mine, then set "fine" sharpening using the thumb dial.

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-21-2017 at 03:30 PM.
04-22-2017, 08:06 PM   #19

What is that $100 fix you all are talking about? I just bought a K-S2, off of ebay, so I hope that that doesn't have this problem !

EDIT: Is this the fix that you all are referencing:

?

Last edited by ohaya; 04-22-2017 at 08:23 PM.
04-27-2017, 12:39 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've got over 7,000 clicks on my K-S2 with no problems. I'm not going to worry about something I have no control over. It's a great camera.
06-12-2018, 11:51 AM   #21
Forum Member

After 30.000 clicks aperture block problem with my K-S2

Today my K-S2 stopped working correctly. At first only one dark photo from a serie. But now THE PROBLEM is there !

Is there anybody in my country (the Netherlands ) who can help to fix it. I already bought a spare solenoid from the US. So I have the parts, I saw the you tubes, but my eyes are not so good anymore to do this fix for myself.

Who can give me help ?
06-12-2018, 12:07 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ohaya Quote
What is that $100 fix you all are talking about? I just bought a K-S2, off of ebay, so I hope that that doesn't have this problem !

EDIT: Is this the fix that you all are referencing: how to fix Pentax K50 and K30 with aperture problem - YouTube

?
This company charges $100 for fixing it.

Pentax Camera Repair - Aperture Control Repair

06-13-2018, 01:30 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by krgroothuis Quote
Today my K-S2 stopped working correctly. At first only one dark photo from a serie. But now THE PROBLEM is there !

Is there anybody in my country (the Netherlands ) who can help to fix it. I already bought a spare solenoid from the US. So I have the parts, I saw the you tubes, but my eyes are not so good anymore to do this fix for myself.

Who can give me help ?
Have you tried the Pentax-NL website? I assume there is one, once I had found the Pentax-UK website, I saw it had a support phone number (a London number) which was rerouted to the Netherlands once called. They eventually had me send my camera to the UK repair centre (where it now is). So I suggest trying to find an official Pentax support line for the Netherlands, and calling that.
06-13-2018, 10:31 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Who can give me help ?
The other "solution" is to use lenses equipped with aperture ring.
06-14-2018, 12:30 AM   #25
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The other "solution" is to use lenses equipped with aperture ring.
That can be a solution temporarely, I have some old lenses , I tried in on the M 3.5 135 mm and with the 35 -70 3.5 -4.5 . It worked anyway on total manual ;-)

Last edited by krgroothuis; 06-14-2018 at 03:19 AM. Reason: correction
06-14-2018, 03:21 AM   #26
Forum Member

But I keep lookin for a friend who helps. The orginal repair costs at least half of the camera price.
06-14-2018, 09:37 AM   #27
Pentaxian

That can be a solution temporarely, I have some old lenses , I tried in on the M 3.5 135 mm and with the 35 -70 3.5 -4.5 . It worked anyway on total manual ;-)
When you say "temporarily" do you mean that you expect it to stop working, or you think you could tolerate that only so long?
06-14-2018, 12:42 PM   #28
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
When you say "temporarily" do you mean that you expect it to stop working, or you think you could tolerate that only so long?
I bought a camera with the intention tot use it with all the functionallity. I honestly did nog count in that possibly the K-S2 stil had a aperture block problem.

My K-x with a shuttercount of more than 61k. It never occured at this camera.
06-14-2018, 01:19 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I bought a camera with the intention tot use it with all the functionallity. I honestly did nog count in that possibly the K-S2 stil had a aperture block problem.

My K-x with a shuttercount of more than 61k. It never occured at this camera.
I purchased a Canon Rebel in which the processor started having problems after 12 months and totally failed after 18months.

I have had the K-30 for 37 months now {over twice the total lifetime of the Rebel}; aperture problems seem to be starting now. Even now, it is much less "temporary" than the Canon was - especially since the aperture-ring lenses I have are AF, so the only cost of using them is pressing the {infamous} green button, which is no bother at all.
06-26-2018, 01:22 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had posted above about having no problems with my K-S2 but after posting I did have this problem. I had purchased a KP and the K-S2 had been unused for almost a year. I had decided to sell it but while sitting unused it seemed to develop the aperture block problem. I sent the camera to PC Photo Lab for repair, after seeing recommendations from others. Here is the link: Pentax Camera Repair - Aperture Control Repair
The camera works great now. But I won't be selling it, my wife decided to leave her trusted K1000 and wants to use the K-S2 with her manual lens.

Last edited by Wingincamera; 06-26-2018 at 01:23 PM. Reason: spelling