Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
06-28-2018, 06:31 AM   #31
Forum Member

A friend of mine managed to fix my K-S2. I bought a white aperture coil. And he replaced the original green one for this white one and the camera works again flawlessly.

06-28-2018, 03:31 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
I had posted above about having no problems with my K-S2 but after posting I did have this problem. I had purchased a KP and the K-S2 had been unused for almost a year. I had decided to sell it but while sitting unused it seemed to develop the aperture block problem. I sent the camera to PC Photo Lab for repair, after seeing recommendations from others. Here is the link: Pentax Camera Repair - Aperture Control Repair
The camera works great now. But I won't be selling it, my wife decided to leave her trusted K1000 and wants to use the K-S2 with her manual lens.
This "My camera was unused for a while and now it has aperture control problems" seems to be a very common story.
06-30-2018, 06:20 AM   #33

Photos: Gallery
i'm so scared of this happening to my K-S2. But its an older one and already has 40 000 actuations on it.
07-01-2018, 05:15 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mani Quote
i'm so scared of this happening to my K-S2. But its an older one and already has 40 000 actuations on it.
People are good about spreading Fear Uncertainty Doubt, but it is just FUD here. There are very few reports of this issue with the K-S2.

The main advice I can offer is to use it - don't let it sit at the back of a closet shelf for months at a time

07-02-2018, 09:25 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
" aperture control problems "

This happens to camera if not used or when you open it the clock needs to be reset.
07-09-2018, 01:49 AM   #36

My k-s2 developed the same simptoms: at first one black shot, then all ok, but in the last days i had to fire 20-30 shots to get things working. It is now at a local repair shop.
It has 10k actuations and is 2.5 years old
07-16-2018, 01:18 PM   #37
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnsmith07 Quote
My k-s2 developed the same simptoms: at first one black shot, then all ok, but in the last days i had to fire 20-30 shots to get things working. It is now at a local repair shop.
It has 10k actuations and is 2.5 years old
I hope the ones that are fixed by repairshops get the white solenoid type used in the older camera's . K-x and before.
Normally Pentax official repair partners usually get only a new green one (made in China).
Some people found out the difference has something to do with tolerances and other materials used for the new solenoids.

I took the safe way and ordered a white one in the U.S.

07-31-2018, 01:42 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K-S2 developed this problem rather suddenly, despite my regularly using it with no problems ever since they came out. But it shows all the symptoms of the dreaded aperture control block failure. I've sent it to the gentleman in California for The Fix. Will report the outcome here.
07-31-2018, 05:19 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
People are good about spreading Fear Uncertainty Doubt, but it is just FUD here. There are very few reports of this issue with the K-S2.
Few as of yet. Anecdotally these solenoid failures seem to appear around the 3 year old mark (plus or minus).

The K-S2 has been out for 3 years. But many are younger than that.
The K-S2 also didn't sell in the volumes that the K-30/K-50 did, so we can expect less reports at this time.

The point being just because there are less reports for K-S2 vs K-30/K-50 doesn't really mean anything at this point.

That all said I do agree that it is not worth worrying about. Stuff happens. Enjoy shooting and if the worst happens it can be resolved.
07-31-2018, 08:59 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Few as of yet. Anecdotally these solenoid failures seem to appear around the 3 year old mark (plus or minus).

The K-S2 has been out for 3 years. But many are younger than that.
The K-S2 also didn't sell in the volumes that the K-30/K-50 did, so we can expect less reports at this time.

The point being just because there are less reports for K-S2 vs K-30/K-50 doesn't really mean anything at this point.
This brings us back to discussions about the K-70. I keep hearing that Pentax has surmounted the aperture control issue for the K-70, but I'm not sure what kind of testing can assure that, because time seems to be more of an issue than usage. I'm also fairly certain that everything you say about the K-S2 is also true of the K-70; the K-70 hasn't been out long enough and only so many have been sold.
08-01-2018, 05:54 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been thinking about getting a used KS-2 solely for the articulating screen, but with this news about the aperture block failure I think I'll pass. I have a K-50 with the aperture block problem and don't want another one that could go the same way.

One thing to note about the problem is that you can use lenses with an aperture ring, both manual focus and automatic focus F and FA lenses. With the F and FA lenses you need to manually set the aperture rather than have it in the "A" position, then use the green button to set the shutter speed, or simply use the camera in "M" mode, and you still have auto focus. With manual focus lenses which can be tricky to focus through the view finder, you can half-press the shutter release (or use back-button focus) while focusing the lens and the green hexagon "in-focus" light in the viewfinder will light indicating when you're in focus.
08-06-2018, 04:03 AM - 2 Likes   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So today my K-S2 is scheduled to arrive back from PC35 PhotoLab after having received their repair for the aperture block problem. I will report back on the results. I was quite happy with how they answered my inquiries and they have processed my camera promptly, in line with the time frame they give on their website. I will put the camera through its paces and come back here with an update!
08-06-2018, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

" by west penn... FA lenses you need to manually set the aperture rather than have it in the "A" position, then use the green button to set the shutter speed, "

KS2 set aperture manually of pentax FA 28-105 mm F4-5.6 , the LCD shows red " F _ _" flashing and shutter will not fire. If set to " A" position everything will work OK. My finding was some photos are blurry as if shutter speed is slow in auto mode. I thought it was caused by hand shake but some are good and some are bad. Old lens need what - in order to function well. No aperture block appears.
08-07-2018, 06:37 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Penview52 Quote
" by west penn... FA lenses you need to manually set the aperture rather than have it in the "A" position, then use the green button to set the shutter speed, "

KS2 set aperture manually of pentax FA 28-105 mm F4-5.6 , the LCD shows red " F _ _" flashing and shutter will not fire. If set to " A" position everything will work OK. My finding was some photos are blurry as if shutter speed is slow in auto mode. I thought it was caused by hand shake but some are good and some are bad. Old lens need what - in order to function well. No aperture block appears.
In the menu section, you must "Enable" the item number for the KS-2 that refers to "enabling aperture ring," then you can release the shutter. You still get the "F---," bit the camera will fire.
08-07-2018, 12:02 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Aside from setting aperture ring into " A " position, the menu for aperture ring must enable. Ok got it.